Halo 5 : Guardians

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I havent finished it yet but so far id give it a 8.5. The story so far has not impressed me but visually its great and its controls seem pretty tight and fluid. I cant put the gunplay on the same level as Destiny is now but its pretty legit and full of guns everywhere. I am playing it on legendary and getting hammered but still enjoying it quite a bit. I am not sure how Astral is getting low FPS and LOD popping but ive yet to witness any of that, but ive also yet to do any PVP of yet. If pvp is solid like ive heard from friends id likely give it a 9 in the end. I love good co-op experiences and so far its delivered on that.

My current biggest gripe is the NPC AI for your team mates - ITS FUCKING TERRIBLE

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I havent finished it yet but so far id give it a 8.5. The story so far has not impressed me but visually its great and its controls seem pretty tight and fluid. I cant put the gunplay on the same level as Destiny is now but its pretty legit and full of guns everywhere. I am playing it on legendary and getting hammered but still enjoying it quite a bit. I am not sure how Astral is getting low FPS and LOD popping but ive yet to witness any of that, but ive also yet to do any PVP of yet. If pvp is solid like ive heard from friends id likely give it a 9 in the end. I love good co-op experiences and so far its delivered on that.

My current biggest gripe is the NPC AI for your team mates - ITS FUCKING TERRIBLE
Watch this video.

Halo 5: Guardians sacrifices graphical fidelity for 60fps gameplay | ExtremeTech

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I liked the story of 1, and 2 was a cliffhanger for the most part... I didn't buy a 360 or xb 1 so I always kind of wonder about the story and getting caught up on it.. the H5 commercials seem nice and epic and story driven so I was again intrigued...then I come here... saved me some money.

Edit: I know that Halo is not for the story, its for MP! I admit not being within the realm of the target audience.
You aren't alone. I play Halo for the story because it's a fantastic Science Fiction universe. I'll play the multiplayer long enough to get the achievements but I probably won't play it much after that.

Carl_sl

shitlord
well I made it in to platinum division but I'm pretty much nailed to the bottom of it now, for whatever reason the platinums I beat to get in to the division were a lot shittier than the ones I'm playing now to try to move up, and they're the same rank, Oh and they're throwing in diamond ranked players in to our games for whatever reason even though I must be at the lowest skill rating you can be in the division.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I haven't had any issues with the graphics. The gameplay feels smooth and responsive, I'm enjoying my time playing and I think the game itself looks fine. This kind of reminds me of when Skyrim came out and players would stand right on a wall and say "Omg look how bad these resolutions/graphics are, there is no excuse". This isn't a stare at the wall simulator, go play the game ffs.

I suppose some players are really big on graphics etc and I'm just not one of those guys.

Graphics are fine so far for me. I have noticed zero LOD or shadow pop-in shown in YouTube vids. Honestly, you have to actively look for that stuff to find it.

Still testing obviously, but so far I've found:

- despite being 60 FPS your guy still controls like a tank compared to other console FPS titles (the Titans in TF are more responsive than Master Chief)

- all weapons feel far worse than Titanfall or any CoD weapon

- the SP is ... un-compelling? looks cool, but I find myself trying to sprint through the levels to avoid kill 100 monsters slog

- the MP is worse than CoD or TF due to bad controls, bad weapon feel, ADS seems pointless?

As some who never played Halos when they came out, I guess I missed the nostalgia train ... What was the hype about this IP?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I cant get over the companion AI and lack of controls - I mean have we learned nothing from MassEffect?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Graphics are fine so far for me. I have noticed zero LOD or shadow pop-in shown in YouTube vids. Honestly, you have to actively look for that stuff to find it.

Still testing obviously, but so far I've found:

- despite being 60 FPS your guy still controls like a tank compared to other console FPS titles (the Titans in TF are more responsive than Master Chief)

- all weapons feel far worse than Titanfall or any CoD wapon

- the SP is more boring than CoD, every single map is a more boring slog than Destiny

- the MP is worse than CoD or TF due to bad controls, bad weapon feel, generic maps

As some who never played Halos when they came out, traded in the Master Chief Collection because it was so boring, I guess I missed the nostalgia train ... What is the hype about this IP?
Yeah, I have an xbone that my 13 yr old uses in the basement, but usually play on PS4. So I checked out some videos of the PvP and I really dont see what the hype is all about really. It looks clunky as fuck, ADS does not matter, movement and jumps seem clunky the maps all look generic as fuck....

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Disagree on the MP, its pretty dam fun and not even sure what CoD in the last 5 years you could say its worse than since CoD has been pretty much shit since the first BLOPS. Control wise ive also not noticed this tank feel and this is the first Halo ive played since Halo 2 and play Destiny pretty regularly. Sure Destiny controls and weapon feel are superior but i doubt i will play another shooter that handles that well in the foreseeable future.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's a Halo game. There are Halo elements that are always there from Halo 1. Not a shit ton of movement, ADS being temporary, weapon spawns being key. That's the heart of the multiplayer Halo experience. It's a nostalgia/tradition thing. If this is your first Halo MP experience, yeah, you're going to want to stick to CoD. The rest of us all expect it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Gameplay wise I wish "sprint" speed was standard run speed and I wish we jumped higher or had double jump. I find myself constantly trying to jump like my Hunter did in Destiny. Otherwise it's really awesome. Like others have said, Halo is a game where map knowledge is really important, and lucky for us newbs they have in game weapon spawn calls so you don't have to sit next to your stop watch or do a map spawn rotation to be competitive.

Column_sl

shitlord
Played this at a party last night. Was really disappointed. Felt like the safest way to make a game with nothing outstanding.

Graphics are really dated for next gen. All in All very forgettable, not what I would expect from a flagship triple A game.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm a huge scifi nerd and having a really tough time finishing the campaign. it all just seems so bland, and fuck this locke guy he's a boring asshole but involved in 80% of the missions. why would you not make the dude from Firefly the main character if you have him.

at mission 10, going to try and finish today and trade this game in. played a few multiplayer games but just died a lot, the radar kinda sucks compared to destiny / COD and the entire REQ system is a total piece of shit. as a person who hasn't really played halo, unless the last 5 missions blow my mind so far the game is a solid 5/10.

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For me, Halo 5 is mediocre at best. I pre-ordered it, played it for two days . . and honestly have not fired it up since. Ultimately, I just find the campaign boring and the multiplayer is just average. But hey, if you like the game and you're getting your money's worth out of it . . great!

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Overall I agree. Was really hyped for this game based on all the media they put out in the last year. Can't even bring myself to get past the 5th mission. Just bland and boring. Think it just might be a case of the IP & myself getting older. I'm still having more fun on Destiny than playing this.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Went to party at friends house, wife thought i was gonna be lost in Halo Bliss, nah under-everything.

343 really sucks, Halo4 was pretty bad too, more enjoyable to just watch Haloid
RIP Monty

Carl_sl

shitlord
Multiplayer feels about as halo as it gets, and if we really are getting free map dlc because of the micro transactions I'll be sticking around for that.

spronk

FPS noob
game trades in for $43.20 until saturday at best buy with GCU, i traded mine in. I bought the LE, only game I regret buying this year wish I had just waited until the digital version was $25. MP is fun I guess but I prefer other MP games, Warzone did make me think of old school Alterac Valley though, esp with the mix of PVE/PVP/powers/points/vehicles. Ruined by 10 year old kids talking.

the REQ pack thingie exclusive to LE/LCE sells for $30 on ebay so I ended up making money still

Microsoft being cagey with sales numbers, they announced Halo made $400m (global) in the first week but that's including hardware, REQ, controllers, headsets, and anything Halo branded. By contrast Destiny made $500m in the first 24 hours and GTA5 made $800m.

spronk

FPS noob
huh wasn't a fan of the game but forge mode user maps seem pretty awesome... hope digital version goes on sale for $20-30, i'd pick it up just to play duck hunt