Ham's Top Albums of 2014

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I found this below on some year-end lists and I've been way into it lately.
I bought this album on Friday and have listened to it like 15 times already. I especially like his cover of "The Promise" but the entire album is great. The first time I heard the song "Not All Flowers" I thought if TOOL wrote a country song this would be it. Then I read an interview with him where he said TOOL was one of his favorite bands and I was like "I'm a god damn genius".

If you like this album you should check out "Southeastern" by Jason Isbell from last year. I posted about it on this forum and got zero replies but it's a great album.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I came across him earlier this year as well, trying to find some non-shit/mainstream country. Though I guess playing Letterman is kinda mainstream...

Wow. Thanks for posting this, and I don't even listen to country but I really dig this guys sound. Fantastic guitarist as well.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's funny back in 99-05 or so my taste in music was very much in line with Pitchfork. Nowadays? I looked at the top 200 songs of the decade so far list and realized just how few I enjoy.

Personally think they were a great sort of left of the middle, indie music website back then. Then someone decided it was racist not to like rap, then even top 40 pop and it's sort of retarded.

Leave out the rap albums on the 03 list, and along with the 99 "best of 90s list" it's amazing how many of the those albums i love.

w/e hipsterdom has become it's vastly different from when i was heavily involved in that subculture.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
...Jason Isbell...
I didn't recognize the name, but just looked him up and he was in the Driveby Truckers and I'm familiar with some of their stuff.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I like a lot of new music just not a lot of new bands. Hard to find one that hits you in the sweet spot with everything, usually it's one or two good ones and the rest is junk.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I can only think of later half of albums, cause I suck and didn't get any albums until the last point in the year rather than just picking up singles. All in all i'll highlight these two specifically cause I enjoyed listening through them all the way through.

Odesza - In Return

Mystery Skulls - Forever

Honorable mentions, Gorgon City - Sirens and Flight Facilities - Down to Earth

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
pardon me if all repeats, I haven't clicked on all the videos. I also haven't listened to as much new music as I have in the past, so I'll just list what I've listened to the most of, I probably don't have any hidden nuggets that'll catch you off guard
frown.png

seconding RTJ2, saw it in the OP, great album

Chrome Sparks - Send The Pain on
Perfume Genius - Too Bright
Future Islands - Singles
Pharrell Williams - Girl
Real Estate - Atlas

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
continued

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Michael Jackson - XSCAPE
Riff Raff - Neon Icon. you either love or hate him, I happen to love him
How To Dress Well - What Is This Heart?

2013 albums I didn't discover that I loved until 2014
Conan Mockasin - Caramel
Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jagwar Ma - Howlin'

Great songs, okay albums
Glass Animals - Gooey
Sun Kil Moon - Ben's My Friend
Chromeo - Come Alive
Bobby Shmurda - Hot Wakandan (EP)

another awesome perfume genius song off the same album as listed earlier

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would have to say either wildbeasts - Wanderlust. Or War on Drugs - red eye

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Porter Robinson - Worlds, listen to it and be amazed. Fantastic album.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm always a year or two late on listening to great albums.

The Smith Street Band's Throw Me In The River is amazing IMO. They're Australian as fuck.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just started listening to Sturgil Simpson after seeing this thread tonight. He has an pretty fucking good voice. Reminds me of Waylon Jennings, who had the best country voice I've ever heard.

edit: and yes, his guitar player is awesome.