Hardcore Henry (2015)

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Sharlto Copely was on today's Nerdist podcast. was pretty entertaining to hear him talk about making this movie. Guess most if not all of it was done with a cam strapped to a stuntman's head.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The movie is so awesome.
In the beginning, it's really confusing watching all the chaos from POV. But it gets better.
Sharlto Copley was really great. Loved the bad guy.soundtrack A++
8/10

PS: those russian chicks ...omg!!!

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
The movie is so awesome.
In the beginning, it's really confusing watching all the chaos from POV. But it gets better.
Sharlto Copley was really great. Loved the bad guy.soundtrack A++
8/10

PS: those russian chicks ...omg!!!
I'll second this one. Watch out for that shaky cam though if you can't handle it.

Oh.. and this is probably required reading before going to the theater (prequel comic)... if somebody can find a link to the scan let me know.

zFvdLuQ.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
My friend wants to see it but will probably need a bucket of dramamine to make it through the movie.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Not a fan of shaky cam, so probably won't see this, but I'd be interested in the next step of doing this with a 360 degree camera and putting it on the upcoming VR devices. I'm sure it would be difficult since you wouldn't be able to use sets or control lighting, and I'm not sure how they'd handle sound without the boom mics, but hopefully someone gives it a go.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely a refreshing action movie with a nice bare bones story and even the twist at the end did go off the rails. Needs more coked out Copley and musical numbers for the sequel 9/10.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider

Music video they made with all the behind the scenes stuff, that car ramp.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this last night. It completely flew under my radar and wouldn't have even noticed it had it not been for a friend of mine pulling me along.

I'll say this is a very good "proof of concept" film, and will most likely go down as a cult classic. What I mean by "proof of concept" is that this is one of the first first person films made (I think there is an old black and white Hollywood film from the 50s that might be the very first). It proves that it is possible but there are still some obstacles to overcome. Most importantly is to invent some kind of Steady Cam for GoPro, and while they do their best to reduce shaking, sometimes it is inevitable.

The fighting scenes and parcour are awesome. Suffering from vertigo myself there are some climbing scenes that have me at the edge of my seat. But to be honest, the thing that really ties this film together, and makes it worth watching is the role of "Jimmy". Seriously, this actor has one of the best parts I've seen in a long time, and pulls it off fantastically.

I would recommend it, to be honest. It's very "fresh". Sure, the story won't win any awards, and I've already mentioned the limitations that GoPro has, but all in all, I think people who enjoy new things in cinema and/or FPS games will enjoy this.

I hope they get enough money from this to continue developing this type of film, as I think it has a good future once they solve the issue of stability.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Saw this with my dad and he got vertigo(dizzy and wanted to throw up) watching it and there were no warnings for that. We had to leave and get vouchers from the theater, So if your in your 60s beware!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty good. I'd give it an 8/10.

The first 10 minutes were the roughest after he's landed. Partly getting used to the camera, partly telling my brain it's not a video game and I can't control it. I kept getting mad at him for doing things the 'wrong way'.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Echoing the fact that this movie was awesome. I'd definitely watch parts of it many times over the coming years.

Shaky cam didn't, and has never, bothered me, but I could see where if you're susceptible to that sort of thing you might want to pass. It would be a shame though, as this movie is bad ass (for what it is meant to be).

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
Shaky cam ruins movies for me, like Bourne 2. This wasn't bad at all, I didn't even get a shaky cam feeling. Also, I loved the movie, it was a ton of fun.

Loco_sl

shitlord
What a badass movie. I don't think it's getting the credit it deserves. A wild ride, with many gaming references and humor. Just don't go in expecting much more than action and gore and you're golden. So glad I caught this in the theaters.

This kind of movie will be a viable genre in the future. Hardcore Henry has made me a believer. Just imagine a good 3D camera, better stabilization, and higher framerates. It's coming. I hope in 5 - 10 years we see a proper budget (~40+ mil) with better technology.

Writer director comments:

There isn't a lot of exposition in this movie. You just throw your audience into the middle of every scene.

I wanted the audience to be completely immersed in the film, to feel like Henry from start to finish. In terms of unnecessary exposition, it is unnecessary for a reason. I didn't want to explain where Akan [the film's antagonist] got his powers because I am tired of Hollywood telling me the same origin story. It was a careful balance of keeping the people interested but not overexplaining it. This is not a film about the story, but how it goes about telling that story.

Source:Rapid Round: Director Ilya Naishuller on First-Person Filmmaking, His Favorite Video Game - Hollywood Reporter

Hardcore Akan comic preview:Preview: Hardcore Akan #1, Page 1 of 4 | Comic Book Resources

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Good copy of this on IPT. Solid movie 8/10 (If you don't mind shaky-cam). I only wish this was 60fps. I really hate that Hollywood doesn't use it more.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if there was a way to make this w/o horrible shakey cam i'd give it a higher rating, on the plus side Sharlto Copely was pretty good, it was fun to see him play 5 diff ppl, i liked his war guy the best, he had the best scenes. (well aside from russian whore house)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The plot was kind of bizarre, and I want to say shitty. But as an action movie, it was A+. I will say the ending was definitely unique.

The soundtrack, however...man, they fucking nailed that. The Queen at the end (which I want to say they used for the trailer) gave me goosebumps.