Hawaii

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Fianc? and I will be going this year, Oahu and Maui specifically for our honeymoon. Her parents have already been and will be giving us pointers, but as always I'd like to see if anyone here has been and have any tips.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Big/Little beach in Maui can be fun - avoid little beach on the weekends as its full of fat naked Eurotrash. Where in Maui/Oahu are you going to be staying? Some really nice smaller/hidden beaches on both islands.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
If you do Waikiki just remember the beach sand is actually from Cali for the most part.
Goods are going to be a lot more expensive than what you are used to.
Oahu is nice and has a lot of great scenery areas.
You can take a multitude of different tour buses for cheap and explore most of the shores and "tourist" places.

<---- live on Oahu. what kinda tips you looking for? Ask me anything. My suggestion would be to skip Oahu and Maui and go to Kaua'i and the Big Island of Hawai'i. They are the places that still resemble postcards ideas of the Hawai'ian islands. Biggest tip, locals can spot a rental car 3 miles away, NEVER leave anything valuable in one, lock it in the trunk in the spare tire well if you absolutely have to. Shitbags target tourists, they look at your car as an ATM for crack money.

Kaua'i has awesome hiking and epic waterfalls, and huge deserted beaches. The Big Island has an active Volcano, you can watch nature be awesome flowing lava into the ocean.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I will second Kaua'i but it might not be for all. I go about 3 times a year. Actually making a trip back in the next month. It's laid back and there isn't much nightlife so if that's what you're wanting, go for it.

Oh god, take a cab here. On the way there we took a bus and walked about a 1/4 mile through the shadiest fucking part of Oahu. If the bums don't kill you, your wife will. Mine was about to.
yeah its in an industrial area, pretty scummy, wouldn't have taken a bus +walk, it's not all that 'dangerous', but would be spooky as hell at night if you 'aint from round here'

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah its in an industrial area, pretty scummy, wouldn't have taken a bus +walk, it's not all that 'dangerous', but would be spooky as hell at night if you 'aint from round here'
Yea, especially with a pretty vague notion of where you are going. Once I got a couple drinks in my wife and told her we would get a cab back it was a great time.

Yea, especially with a pretty vague notion of where you are going. Once I got a couple drinks in my wife and told her we would get a cab back it was a great time.
was the insanely horrible piano player on duty? I think he is legally blind, and he aint no stevie wonder. dont think they have tuned that piano is 40 yrs. Up till about 5 yrs ago the owner, a 95 yr old lady, would get her self all dolled up and make the rounds greeting all the customers around 6-7 pm, sweetheart of a lady, I miss her.

The hole in the wall Ethel's I listed is right around the corner from La Mariana.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
I will second Kaua'i but it might not be for all. I go about 3 times a year. Actually making a trip back in the next month. It's laid back and there isn't much nightlife so if that's what you're wanting, go for it.
My wife and I are planning on going to Kaua'i for our anniversary in the summer. We are staying on the south end of the island at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort. The main reason we picked Kaua'i was because we had heard it has a lot of natural beauty, however she was hoping there would be some place where we could get drinks and dance/chill at night on the beach. Does this not exist at all there? What else should we be sure to do while at Kaua'i?

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Plenty of places to drink in and around the resort you'll be staying at (Poipu area). Shit's really slow there, so plan on going back to your room kinda early in the evening, though...it doesn't really have a full blown night scene like O'ahu or even Maui has. As far as shit to do outside of the norm, Kauai does have the only real navigable river in the state, so you could rent kayaks or some shit.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_18192.jpg

I see pictures like that of Kaua'i and have to ask - Are those places available to anyone? Could we get to a place like that (during a hike or something) and decide, "You know what, I do want to swim next to a waterfall?" Obviously I've never been to Hawaii.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Yes there are many areas that you can access for waterfalls. Wailua falls among othershttp://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/hawaii-kauai.html

Kaua'i does have a few spots in Lihue and the North Shore that stay open later then 9 pm but there are not many. It's laid back and you can drive from one end to the other in a matter of hours. I go about 3 times a year and have a buddy who lives in Kapa'a.

lindz

#DDs
So Hawaii is one of my other choices for our first trip away from kids. Big Island interests me the most and want something pretty peaceful and quiet if we do that. I foundhttp://lavalavabeachclub.com/that looks pretty cool. Anyone have any reviews. Also looking for other recommendations on activities and places to stay.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
So Hawaii is one of my other choices for our first trip away from kids. Big Island interests me the most and want something pretty peaceful and quiet if we do that. I foundhttp://lavalavabeachclub.com/that looks pretty cool. Anyone have any reviews. Also looking for other recommendations on activities and places to stay.
Not to hijack this shit, but if you're looking for an awesome tropical get away kind of thing. Jamaica is fun as fuck. I've been 12 or 13 times, there's a ton of fun stuff to do there.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
<---- live on Oahu. My suggestion would be to skip Oahu and Maui and go to Kaua'i and the Big Island of Hawai'i. They are the places that still resemble postcards ideas of the Hawai'ian islands.

Kaua'i has awesome hiking and epic waterfalls, and huge deserted beaches. The Big Island has an active Volcano, you can watch nature be awesome flowing lava into the ocean.
EXACTLY what I was going to say. Hated Oaho and Maui, the best way I can explain it is "You are just in southern California". That's it. If you want a honeymoon in SoCal, you could just go there and spend less. If you want an awesome tropical island vacation, Kaua'i or the Big Island 100%.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not to hijack this shit, but if you're looking for an awesome tropical get away kind of thing. Jamaica is fun as fuck. I've been 12 or 13 times, there's a ton of fun stuff to do there.
Not a fan of that shithole at all. Maybe it's just Montego Bay, but my trip there for a wedding last year was mediocre at best. The country is dangerous as all fuck (one of the highest murder rates in the Western Hemisphere), and unless you only want to stay in the resort or go on resort-sanctioned activities, it's not recommended that you go out and "explore" the country given your pasty-whiteness. And the staff at the resorts can be extremely aggressive in terms of soliciting tips, selling drugs (I was offered at least 2-3 times a day), and/or trying to fuck the women (female sex tourism is a thing in Jamaica). Unfortunately another one of my jackass friends is getting married there again in April. I'm hoping Negril will be much better. The guy who got married in MoBay last year stayed in Negril before the wedding, and he said it was indeed a lot nicer.