HDTVs

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How can I check to see if my TV has HDMI 2.1 capability? I've got an LG OLED C6 for gaming and an LG OLED BX for living room TV, and I'm hoping they've both got HDMI 2.1.
whats important if the port is hdmi2.1 and most don't have a sticker that its hdmi 2.1

you can look at manual or look at the hdtv database

choose
picture->connections->hdmi2.1

and see if your tv comes up

seems bx is yes, c6 is no, go doublecheck

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm having to really force myself not to go out and buy the new LG G1 77". I want it so bad for Godzilla vs Kong, but my wife is yammering in my ear about guitars, pool equipment etc.

This could be my next TV buy. My LG C6 from 2016 is already super-good. This G1 has the two things I want though: Better brightness (it gets pretty dark with some games) and HDMI 2.1.

No HDR10+ is a concern though. How big of a deal is that? I don't think my C6 has that either, pretty sure it's just HDR10. It still looks incredible, so...

The LG BX that I got for the living room is alright but it isn't knocking my socks off. Seems like it'd be a good idea to bring it back, get the G1 for like $600 more than I already spent, and put the C6 in the living room instead.

Yeah, I think I'll do this. Main question is whether to stick with 55 inch or finally bump up to 65. Seems like 65 might be a better future investment but I still think 55 is perfect for not losing any resolution on PS4 games.

Also...where the hell do you buy these? They launched a few days ago and I don't even see them listed anywhere for sale.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't think my C6 has that either, pretty sure it's just HDR10. It still looks incredible, so...
bruh...
829d9a4dc843a0303ead4f0835230024.png

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If your BX looks inferior to your C6 (assuming same size) something is seriously fucking wrong. Any xX are essentially the same panel.

HDR10+ isn't something I'd buy a panel specifically for. It's still not as good as DV, and there's only 42 movies out that support it assuming your player does as well. List of 4k Blu-ray Discs with HDR10+ | HD Report

If you're looking to blow money for no reason, buy the new G1 if you can find one.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I wasn't able to get that site to work for whatever reason. It doesn't give me any listings to click on or compare.

If your BX looks inferior to your C6 (assuming same size) something is seriously fucking wrong. Any xX are essentially the same panel.

HDR10+ isn't something I'd buy a panel specifically for. It's still not as good as DV, and there's only 42 movies out that support it assuming your player does as well. List of 4k Blu-ray Discs with HDR10+ | HD Report

If you're looking to blow money for no reason, buy the new G1 if you can find one.

I mean, considering it'll only run me about $700 and the G1 Evo is an upgrade, it makes sense to get one while I can still trade in the BX. Otherwise I'll be paying full price for one later and then I'll have to deal with the hassle of selling a TV. I've got a plan here. Also really like the luminous nature of the G1, and the gaming features.

My C6 is curved and it has a noticeably better picture than the BX (which is better than any other TV I've had besides the C6, so it isn't like it's bad). It clearly has more features. As well it should, it costs hundreds more.

There's a lot of talk that the C1 is going to be the best deal once it's out later this year. G1 will still be more powerful, but C1 will be less expensive and not far off in power. I'd wait for that, but if I'm going to switch the BX out for anything I have to do it now. And $700 isn't a lot to me at the moment so I might as well get the best one. Otherwise I'd probably spend it on Bitcoin.

TV is its own kind of investment and I want something that'll be able to handle gaming right up through the PS6. Not worried about 8K cause I'm not sure if game systems will even get that far or if my eyes can tell the difference from 4K. A little more concerned with HDR10+ but it sounds like game systems aren't using that any time soon either.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

How's this for an HDMI 2.1 cord? Gonna try and get my 120 FPS on with select PS5 games...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This could be my next TV buy. My LG C6 from 2016 is already super-good. This G1 has the two things I want though: Better brightness (it gets pretty dark with some games) and HDMI 2.1.

No HDR10+ is a concern though. How big of a deal is that? I don't think my C6 has that either, pretty sure it's just HDR10. It still looks incredible, so...

The LG BX that I got for the living room is alright but it isn't knocking my socks off. Seems like it'd be a good idea to bring it back, get the G1 for like $600 more than I already spent, and put the C6 in the living room instead.

Yeah, I think I'll do this. Main question is whether to stick with 55 inch or finally bump up to 65. Seems like 65 might be a better future investment but I still think 55 is perfect for not losing any resolution on PS4 games.

Also...where the hell do you buy these? They launched a few days ago and I don't even see them listed anywhere for sale.
Here's the 2 best OLED's on the market right now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

How's this for an HDMI 2.1 cord? Gonna try and get my 120 FPS on with select PS5 games...

Just get the length you need.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, I wasn't able to get that site to work for whatever reason. It doesn't give me any listings to click on or compare.

I mean, considering it'll only run me about $700 and the G1 Evo is an upgrade, it makes sense to get one while I can still trade in the BX. Otherwise I'll be paying full price for one later and then I'll have to deal with the hassle of selling a TV. I've got a plan here. Also really like the luminous nature of the G1, and the gaming features.

My C6 is curved and it has a noticeably better picture than the BX (which is better than any other TV I've had besides the C6, so it isn't like it's bad). It clearly has more features. As well it should, it costs hundreds more.

There's a lot of talk that the C1 is going to be the best deal once it's out later this year. G1 will still be more powerful, but C1 will be less expensive and not far off in power. I'd wait for that, but if I'm going to switch the BX out for anything I have to do it now. And $700 isn't a lot to me at the moment so I might as well get the best one. Otherwise I'd probably spend it on Bitcoin.

TV is its own kind of investment and I want something that'll be able to handle gaming right up through the PS6. Not worried about 8K cause I'm not sure if game systems will even get that far or if my eyes can tell the difference from 4K. A little more concerned with HDR10+ but it sounds like game systems aren't using that any time soon either.

There is zero chance a 2016 panel is better than a 2020 model. Get the 2020 panel calibrated

"It clearly has more features. As well it should, it costs hundreds more."

Are you saying the c6 cost more, so it's better? If so, then you clearly are an idiot

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There is zero chance a 2016 panel is better than a 2020 model. Get the 2020 panel calibrated

"It clearly has more features. As well it should, it costs hundreds more."

Are you saying the c6 cost more, so it's better? If so, then you clearly are an idiot

The C6 cost $1900 when it launched. The C1 costs about $1900 now. The BX costs $1250. The C series has more features than the B series. And yes, I would say that side-by-side the C6 looks better than the BX, having...just looked at them side-by-side. In theory the year should trump the model with most TVs, but the C series is so ridiculously good.

Here's the 2 best OLED's on the market right now.

Yeah these are definitely the choices. I'm not sure which to go with yet. Either one will run me about $600 altogether after the BX store credit ($1250 plus large amounts of tax). If I splurge for a 65'' I'll be spending about $1200 instead of $600 but I doubt I'll end up doing that. 55'' seems like the sweet spot for PS4 era consoles and most of what I play is PS4-gen. If PS5 even loses a hint of graphical fidelity by going up to 65'' I don't want it for that either.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My theory on TVs is it’s almost impossible to go “too big” unless living in a tiny flat in nyc or something. The older I get the more that’s true.

Shit I’ve got a 65” on my bedroom wall and it could stand to be bigger when gaming in bed. Going to my moms house watching her 50” tv in the den is like going back in time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My theory on TVs is it’s almost impossible to go “too big” unless living in a tiny flat in nyc or something. The older I get the more that’s true.

Shit I’ve got a 65” on my bedroom wall and it could stand to be bigger when gaming in bed. Going to my moms house watching her 50” tv in the den is like going back in time.

I know what you mean. Man, it's really tempting.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Another cool thing about the 65'' G1 is that it's designed to be wall-mounted and it's insanely thin. Like it takes up almost zero room space. My game room isn't that big, but I would lose absolutely nothing spacewise with 65''. At this point my sole concern is whether or not it negatively affects the graphical fidelity of games. Back in 2015 I tried a Samsung 65'' LED that made PS4 games look kinda junk compared to my 55'' TVs. I can only hope that between it being five years later, LG being better, and OLED being better, that 65'' won't impact PS4 fidelity in this case.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Another cool thing about the 65'' G1 is that it's designed to be wall-mounted and it's insanely thin. Like it takes up almost zero room space. My game room isn't that big, but I would lose absolutely nothing spacewise with 65''. At this point my sole concern is whether or not it negatively affects the graphical fidelity of games. Back in 2015 I tried a Samsung 65'' LED that made PS4 games look kinda junk compared to my 55'' TVs. I can only hope that between it being five years later, LG being better, and OLED being better, that 65'' won't impact PS4 fidelity in this case.
I don’t see that being an issue, and ya my motivation on the 77” one is partly the awesome flush mount. Mounting the older ones with the lower “box” is just odd. Hoping somebody (you!) buys one here and talks me into it haha

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

75" in my bedroom, and somhow i fit it in a king bed AND a lazyboy recliner
(recliner is actually for wife, she's been trying the sleeping thing where bed is only for sleep and other activites)

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Tempted to skip 75” and go right to 85” with the X900. Not sure if that will blast my eyeballs away

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The C6 cost $1900 when it launched. The C1 costs about $1900 now. The BX costs $1250. The C series has more features than the B series. And yes, I would say that side-by-side the C6 looks better than the BX, having...just looked at them side-by-side. In theory the year should trump the model with most TVs, but the C series is so ridiculously good.

Yeah these are definitely the choices. I'm not sure which to go with yet. Either one will run me about $600 altogether after the BX store credit ($1250 plus large amounts of tax). If I splurge for a 65'' I'll be spending about $1200 instead of $600 but I doubt I'll end up doing that. 55'' seems like the sweet spot for PS4 era consoles and most of what I play is PS4-gen. If PS5 even loses a hint of graphical fidelity by going up to 65'' I don't want it for that either.
Are you sitting two feet away? If you’re playing from 6+ feet away like on a couch, going from 55” to 65” you won’t lose any graphic fidelity at all with 4K.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don’t see that being an issue, and ya my motivation on the 77” one is partly the awesome flush mount. Mounting the older ones with the lower “box” is just odd. Hoping somebody (you!) buys one here and talks me into it haha

Yeah, I'll get it and let you know how it is / take pictures / etc. I'm about 90% sure I'm going to go for the 65'' at this point, so I'm actually glad it wasn't available yet last week (I would have gotten 55'' then). I have to wait for Best Buy to get them in because it's the only place where I have large quantities of store credit. Hopefully I'll have something to report within the next couple of weeks. It being flush against the wall counts for a lot IMO.

Tempted to skip 75” and go right to 85” with the X900. Not sure if that will blast my eyeballs away

Just bear in mind that if you're gaming, you'll lose fidelity especially with 85''. Your PS4 generation games won't look as good unless you're sitting far away, and PS2/3 generation games are gonna look like total ass. I think this is something a lot of people don't take into consideration. Getting a giant TV is basically obsoleting a lot of your older content. Like I wouldn't recommend an 85'' TV to someone whose movie collection is on DVD, ya dig? Better have 4K Blu-rays for that.

Are you sitting two feet away? If you’re playing from 6+ feet away like on a couch, going from 55” to 65” you won’t lose any graphic fidelity at all with 4K.

I'll be sitting probably 5 feet away unless I reshuffle my game area here so it's a bit of a concern. It's good to hear though. Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna lose anything either at 65''. It's just that my experience with a Samsung 65'' five years ago steered me away from that size. Was playing The Order 1886 at a friend's house on that TV and it looked semi-crappy compared to how amazing it looked on my 55'' at home. He thought it looked how it was supposed to look, but I was like "naw, the game looks a lot better than this". That was then though.