HDTVs

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I love my plasma but I'll be the first to admit that Plasma isn't always the best option in all situations. There are a lot of reasons someone would be better suited with an LED, or certain computer monitors(IPS/144hz, etc). Even the best Plasma you can buy isn't the best screen for all situations(like was implied in the new console thread)

Some people just have to believe that everything they do or buy is the ZOMGBESTTHINGEVER. It's rarely that clear cut.

Column_sl

shitlord
I was talking to a friend that is a pretty big videophile, and he was mentioning the Samsung F series of LCD panels are pretty damn close to Plasma right now.

The other thing he mentioned was that the Xbox one is such a set top box now if you have both consoles you can pass a PS4 through a Xbox, and get the added benefits of one single unit controlling everything on the lastest HDMI spec.
Now if there was only a universal controller/headset for both =/

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
I love my plasma but I'll be the first to admit that Plasma isn't always the best option in all situations. There are a lot of reasons someone would be better suited with an LED, or certain computer monitors(IPS/144hz, etc). Even the best Plasma you can buy isn't the best screen for all situations(like was implied in the new console thread)

Some people just have to believe that everything they do or buy is the ZOMGBESTTHINGEVER. It's rarely that clear cut.
Of course it's not the best in all situations. If you can't afford blinds, then you're better off with a more expensive LCD. Hmm wait a minute...that doesn't make no fuckin sense.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The other thing he mentioned was that the Xbox one is such a set top box now if you have both consoles you can pass a PS4 through a Xbox, and get the added benefits of one single unit controlling everything on the lastest HDMI spec.
Yes it's possible but Microsoft does not recommend doing it.

Column_sl

shitlord
Plasmas really don't work in any functioning living room. Blinds, or not.

That glass might as well be a mirror.

Theyre really for dedicated viewing rooms with no lights. Even the light from the tv bouncing off a refelctive surface back onto the TV in darkness can be aggravating.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yes it's possible but Microsoft does not recommend doing it.
Yeah, he was mentioning someone asked MS that exact question during E3, and they evaded it.

Its, just a receiver tho like any switch you would get with the added benefit of the console being able to use its signal within its user interface.
Pretty much the same thing as hooking your cable signal to it.

So multi gaming would be very easy on this, everything from picture in picture to swiping the screen with your hand to tab through both consoles.
It's not needed ,but still a nice feature.

But like I said, without a universal controller/headset not so great.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
My plasma works fine in my living room and I don't even have blinds, I have white light filtering shades that let in a lot of light. I didn't buy a piece of shit plasma with no AR coating.

Column_sl

shitlord
From what I read in that article. Yes it will work.

Microsoft claims lag, but no one has tested it yet.
Pointing to the end of the article where they say

Gamers will have to wait until the Xbox One comes out this November to see how this alleged interconnectivity actually plays out,
The writer wouldn't have put that blurb in at the end if he didnt question his sources claims of accurate information.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Plasmas really don't work in any functioning living room. Blinds, or not.

That glass might as well be a mirror.

Theyre really for dedicated viewing rooms with no lights. Even the light from the tv bouncing off a refelctive surface back onto the TV in darkness can be aggravating.
Yeah, no.

Maybe several years ago, I wouldn't know because I never had one before 2012, but I don't have any issues with mine, and I'm one of those people that can't stand to watch a TV in the dark so I almost always have a light on, if not the curtains open.

I'm not saying someone won't have glare issues in their particular setup, but you're saying that everyone will in every situation, and that's just plain false. It is nowhere near the issue you are making it out to be.

Column_sl

shitlord
It's a fairly common issue , and some people are more sensitive it to it then others.

Its the number one drawback on the internet on a plasma currently. You can go to any Big TV store, and see the mirror effect pretty easily.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Bitches need to learn to use blackout currents. Sunlight is the devil, destroy it at all costs. Then experience the power of a fully operational plasma TV.

Also, TV in dark room + LED backlighting strapped to the back of the TV is the best viewing option. It eliminates the eyestrain that most people experience when watching in a totally dark room.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Fuck, curtains. I CAN'T TYPE MY LEFT HAND DOESN'T LISTEN TO ME ANYMORE.

Tomorrow though, tomorrow the left hand will know fear and be corrected.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Has anyone tried the 70 sony 120hz LED? KDL70R550

This unit is one of the only 70+ units to have a "Great" display lag rating. Which imo is one of the larger factors in a good set if you do a lot of gaming. They run about $2399-$2599 which seem like good value.

I looked and the 70 aquos and even the Panasonic 65st but they seem to have ridiculously high display lag.

Here is the display lag database (sorry if this has already been posted)

Display Lag Monitors for Gaming

Sort by screen size (if you looking for a large set) The Sharp and the Panisonics have horrible lag ratings. "BAD" in this test.

Panisonic 65st 75ms
Sharp Aquos @ 63ms

Vs
Sony 75 @ 36ms
Vizio 80 @ 40ms

I know I am going to get shot here, but the Panasonic ST series seems to be a bad choice for gamers. Factor in the fact that every device you use (console, controller etc) adds to the display lag.

That's the data, now I would like to here about some first hand experiences.

There are way to many fucking to options and factors to consider. I am damn close to throwing up my hands and asking my wife to just pick the prettiest set.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I am damn close to throwing up my hands and asking my wife to just pick the prettiest set.
This is what you want: 2012 60" Panasonic TC-60PU54 1080p 600hz Plasma HDTV AVG 27ms

I can't remember the exact model Panasonic plasma (it might be a GT60?) but Slickdeals forums chat it up as the ultimate gaming TV. I has low display lag and an anti-glare screen.

Gauss_sl

shitlord
So my32" Samsung 6300I use as a computer monitor already has some white splotching on the right-hand side after 6 months (side note: yes, I know I'm an idiot for buying a $700 32" screen, but I wanted a thin frame with a 1080p screen). What companies are known for build quality these days? I'm looking to get between a 45-55" tv with an OK screen and is also aesthetically pleasing (i.e., super thin frame). I don't care about extras like 3D or internet connectivity. Cost is not a big deal, but I am not going to be one of the suckers to buy an OLED tv in the next few years.

koljec_sl

shitlord
So my32" Samsung 6300I use as a computer monitor already has some white splotching on the right-hand side after 6 months (side note: yes, I know I'm an idiot for buying a $700 32" screen, but I wanted a thin frame with a 1080p screen). What companies are known for build quality these days? I'm looking to get between a 45-55" tv with an OK screen and is also aesthetically pleasing (i.e., super thin frame). I don't care about extras like 3D or internet connectivity. Cost is not a big deal, but I am not going to be one of the suckers to buy an OLED tv in the next few years.
I'm a fan of Panasonic, but many people would say its LED tech hasn't caught up with its plasma tech.

I'd conisder Sony if the name alone didn't carry a higher price.

I've heard a lot of good things about LG.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I'm looking to mount my TV on the wall. Does anyone have experience with mounting game systems behind the TV?