HDTVs

Sean_sl

shitlord
"No input lag" and "no noticeable input lag" are two different things. The ST60 is perfectly fine for anything like Call of Duty, Killzone, Halo, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, etc. I just wouldn't play Quake or Street Fighter 2 in a tournament on it (you wouldn't play on a 60 inch TV in those settings anyways).

And those TVs you linked aremediocre as fuck. Just put the pipe down dude, the ST60 is an amazing TV for console gaming and home use and has an absolutely astounding picture. If you're absolutely anal about the numbers, get an older GT50 (or a new GT60 if you're in Europe) or a VT60. Panasonic Plasmas are just way better than that crap you keep linking for a home theater.

Column_sl

shitlord
The numbers on those TVs have the best input lag. You can say all this "non noticeable input lag" to you are blue in the face, but in reality the numbers do not lie on those Plasmas.

Buy whatever TV you want they all suck.

The original argument was that PC monitors are far ahead of any console display, and they destroy everything.
They just continue to get better while consoles on TVs still lag far behind.

His next response will be, I'm announcing to the World that I'm putting Column on ignore again.

Of course he's too much of a pussy to even do that, haha.
I guess you are the bottom in the Sean/Daezuel butt fuck fiesta.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Just had our Panasonic 65vt60 delivered a few days ago. Got it from Paul's tv for $2300. Our one splurge item for our new place. I've only watched a couple of standard def movies off of amazon prime and some standard def tv (avoiding bars while I break it in). All I can say is WOW. I've never owned a plasma and wanted to see what it was all about before they're gone. Easily the best picture I've ever seen on a television. Now I know what the plasma fanboys are talking about. Now I see what real contrast and black levels are like. Even in standard def the picture quality is amazing. Couldn't be happier with it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Just had our Panasonic 65vt60 delivered a few days ago. Got it from Paul's tv for $2300. Our one splurge item for our new place. I've only watched a couple of standard def movies off of amazon prime and some standard def tv (avoiding bars while I break it in). All I can say is WOW. I've never owned a plasma and wanted to see what it was all about before they're gone. Easily the best picture I've ever seen on a television. Now I know what the plasma fanboys are talking about. Now I see what real contrast and black levels are like. Even in standard def the picture quality is amazing. Couldn't be happier with it.
Yep, that's an amazing TV. You will love the fuck out of it. There's just nothing like Plasma blacks. Totally worth it.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Yep, that's an amazing TV. You will love the fuck out of it. There's just nothing like Plasma blacks. Totally worth it.
It's the best picture I've ever seen even as it is, and I have some janky pic settings dialed in at the moment. There is so much hocus pocus out there about plasma break in. Just going with a simple routine of no black bars or logos for the first 100 hours, and have all the picture settings turned down. Contrast, brightness, sharpness all low as shit. And it still looks great. Can't wait to open it up and apply some actual calibration in a few more days.

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's the best picture I've ever seen even as it is, and I have some janky pic settings dialed in at the moment. There is so much hocus pocus out there about plasma break in. Just going with a simple routine of no black bars or logos for the first 100 hours, and have all the picture settings turned down. Contrast, brightness, sharpness all low as shit. And it still looks great. Can't wait to open it up and apply some actual calibration in a few more days.
I did the 100 hours of D-Nice's slides in between watching stuff and left on at night and doing other things. And yeah, it's even more awesome when calibrated.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I want you people that are talking about plasma vs. LCD and mediocre pictures and input lags to know that you are all faggots.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
----------------------------------------------------------------
I want you people that are talking about plasma vs. LCD and mediocre pictures and input lags to know that you are all faggots.
Brutul's "to-do" list today:

1) Click the "Tech, Electronics, & Gadgets" forum
2) Click the HDTV discussion thread
3) Bitch about people discussing the tech in HDTVs.

Great job there champ.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
From what I've seen there really aren't any GREAT HDtv deals this Black Friday. I've seen some good prices on 65+ tvs and some good prices on 40- TVs, but not much in the range of TVs that most people actually buy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what Cyber Monday brings, because I haven't seen anything overly great for Black Friday this year. Seems like a lot of TVs for Black Friday are like 10-20% off MSRP, which isn't real great. Lot of $999 Tvs marked down to $799 and $599 TVs marked down to $499, but nothing that really wows you.

Column_sl

shitlord
Panasonic Plasma line has just plummeted in price.

Panasonic 55" VT | $1500 | Amazon
Panasonic 65" VT |$1,749| Amazon
Panasonic 65" VT | $2149 | Amazon
Panasonic 60" ZT | $2300 | Paul's TV | Use code HOLIDAY16
Panasonic 65" ZT | $2900 | Use code HOLIDAY15

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Wow. $2150 for a 65 inch version of one of the top 10 or so tvs ever produced. How often can you say you own the best the world has produced for a measly 2 grand? Outside of the Sharp Elite (discontinued), the Kuro (discontinued), the Samsung 8500 plasma, or Panasonic's own ZT60, I can't think of a consumer television as well reviewed as the VT60 line. Ever. ST60 series right there as well.

Once these plasmas are gone, its LCD only for the near future. OLED isn't quite ready for primetime, has it's own issues, as well as being very expensive. It's manufacturing problems means it won't drop in price quickly either. There will not be a 65 inch display this good at this price for a few years at least.

For anyone considering one of these, my vt60 is flawless and amazing. I can't remember the last time I bought a piece of electronics and could say that. Never? This is not purchaser bias or anything, have no problem being critical of my purchases. Uniformity issues, light bleed, flashlighting, clouding, colors and contrast getting fucked at off angles, these things do not exist for this tv. I keep looking for defects or problems and have found none. No fan noise, no buzzing, not a scratch on it. I thought I spotted a defect while watching a series through Amazon. Turned out to be a problem with the series. Relieved when it disappeared in other content
smile.png
It even has decent internal speakers, loud and clear. For anyone that cares, I assume most of us would hook it up to an external system or sound bar.

The front is one big sheet of gorilla glass, so it is reflective. Only 'flaw.' Matte screens help with reflections but introduce other negatives to PQ. Pick your poison on that one. Also, it's heavy as fuck. Metal back, thick glass front. Weighs like 90+ lbs.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm thinking about getting the 65 inch VT for my movie room.

I already have a Sony KDL-65W850A for gaming. The picture on that is ridiculous.

Only thing that is still stopping me is they have a VT display up at Frys, and its really dim.
Im wondering if I'm better off going with the Samsung F8500. They say its much brighter, with the same PQ as the Panasonic.
Also I can get the Plex app directly on that TV.

I need to find a store with a F8500 to see how big the difference is.

Orcus can you link me a good break in guide for the first 100 hours of the Panasonics?

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Orcus can you link me a good break in guide for the first 100 hours of the Panasonics?
I'm not doing anything specific for my tv personally. Just lived on the avsforums plasma subforum for a while and absorbed what I could. Just doing a general no black bars no logos for a long time deal. And contrast turned down. I don't think this has any effect on anything really, outside of probably undetectable by my eyes color uniformity by not aging the phosphors uniformly for the first 100-300 hours.

If you want to be meticulous, you could do what Sean did, and use color slides to age the panel for the first 100+ hours. D-Nice is an internet famous tv calibrator that produced a set of slides for initial PDP break-in. Could throw those on a usb stick and use them if you want. Shrug.

This is another source of color patterns that is widely usedEvangelos Angelides - Downloads

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking about getting the 65 inch VT for my movie room.

I already have a Sony KDL-65W850A for gaming. The picture on that is ridiculous.

Only thing that is still stopping me is they have a VT display up at Frys, and its really dim.
Im wondering if I'm better off going with the Samsung F8500. They say its much brighter, with the same PQ as the Panasonic.
Also I can get the Plex app directly on that TV.

I need to find a store with a F8500 to see how big the difference is.

I'm assuming you messed with the brightness on the Panasonic yourself to make sure it wasn't just turned down to help persuade people to buy the (probably more expensive) LCDs nearby?

Also, I'm not sure what "much brighter" will really do for you, assuming you are going to set it according to the D-Nice settings or something similar. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, people left to their own devices almost always turn the brightness way too high. The purpose of using calibrated settings is so that your TV will look as close to real-life colors as possible, so in theory any TV that you professionally calibrate should look (almost) exactly like any other professionally calibrated TV. Obviously there are limitations on things like blacks and contrast between different brands, but "much brighter" shouldn't even factor into a decision I'd think, because every TV worth buying is going to be bright enough. I promise you that if you use calibrated settings it will seem much, much darker than you think. Which is how it is supposed to be, even though it seems wrong until you get used to it. And is also why places like Fry's crank the brightness up. The brighter TVs get more attention, because people think that is better.

As far as the PLEX app, I'd be a little cautious on that unless you've seen it in action. My Panasonic plasma can use PLEX via DLNA, and it looks like absolute ass. I tried using it for the same reason you are considering it, but it sucks so much balls that I couldn't take it. I mean, it functions and does what you expect it to, but it is sort of like using a Super Nintendo for your media player. I have no idea if that Samsung has a better interface or not, but check it out before you let that be a deciding factor.