HDTVs

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
At 20 feet, the average person would need a 100+ inch screen to be able to tell any difference at all between 720p, 1080p, or 4k. You'd probably need 150"+ to see the difference between 1080p and 4k.

So...either get the biggest, cheapest 1080p TV you can afford and resign yourself to the fact that it isn't going to look any better than 720p, or get a projector.

Deinitely don't waste money on a super expensive TV or 4K if you're sitting that far away. You won't be able to see the difference.

I'd probably get something like this:

Amazon.com: Sharp LC-80LE857 80-Inch Aquos Quattron 1080p 240Hz Smart LED 3D TV (2013 Model): Televisions Video

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you believe the calculators floating around the internet, you'll need something between 60 and 90 inches. Realistically, what size can you sell your wife/girlfriend/headmate on?
That's just huge. I mean honestly I was going to just install a 32". I don't really want it to engulf the wall.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Go with the 32. They're cheap enough these days that if you decide you really want/need something bigger, you're not out a whole lot of money.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
At 20 feet, the average person would need a 100+ inch screen to be able to tell any difference at all between 720p, 1080p, or 4k. You'd probably need 150"+ to see the difference between 1080p and 4k.

So...either get the biggest, cheapest 1080p TV you can afford
Right. Not really a fan of projector setups so I'll go for a 60" Samsung. Those run under 1k? if you don't need 4k, don't think I'd even need 3d.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
As far as smart lED HDTV's any opinions on which HDTVS have the highest quality / selections loaded online streaming apps with high quality wifi capabilities ?

Desidero

N00b
As far as smart lED HDTV's any opinions on which HDTVS have the highest quality / selections loaded online streaming apps with high quality wifi capabilities ?
It's generally best to get a Chromecast/Roku/Apple TV/Fire to go with a TV rather than worrying about the TV's apps. They inevitably fall behind (old interface designs, takes forever for new things to come out) and you might find yourself paying a large premium for Samsung apps or something like that when you really just wanted a pretty panel. All of the third party streaming devices are ~$100 or less.

I use a Samsung and LG TV pretty regularly and never use their apps. I love my Chromecast, and the new one is only $35.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was pretty impressed with the smart features on my last Samsung. It played Netflix, YouTube, and UMS just fine.

Siliconemelons

LG WebOS is by far the best smart TV option available and sees updates fairly quickly compared to many of its counterparts.

Outside that, as stated above get a box or a ps3/4

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone check out black Friday ads and can comment on best TV in the 400ish range? Just looking for something good to look at in a decent size for the office. Not looking for top of the line. Saw some lgs around 49 inches at my price point but no idea if they're shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Toshiba 55" LED $349

Good price for a 55"

Some reviews of people that bought it here:

Toshiba 55L310U 55 LED-LCD at Best Buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Its manufactured specifically for Best Buy and this sale, so it's probably pretty cheaply made, I wouldn't count on it lasting you 10 years or anything but its big and cheap and you'd probably get a good 4-5 years out of it before something craps out. And honestly, at sub $500 price points on TVs that large, you're talking about disposable electronics anyways

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm in the market for a tv too but I'm more flexible about what I want and what to pay for it. I usually read amazon reviews for this shit, but I wouldn't trust those clowns with a tv purchase, too subjective. Any alternative to wading through the avsforums? I guess cnet is still an option.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Good TV review site

Best picture quality 55 inch TVs of 2015: Reviews

Can sort by size, usage(games, movies, sports, etc)

Just keep in mind that they *only* list the top 30 reviewed TVs in each category, so the TVs at the bottom aren't bad by any means, they just aren't the absolute best of the best(top 5 or 10). The ratings are truly a 1-10 scale, anything over a 5 is better than average. This isnt some site where anything that isn't at least a 8/10 is crap.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm going to be buying a new tv this month and reading reviews etc.. but is 4K the most important stat right now? I know there's not much content out right now but I will probably be keeping the tv for 5-10 years so i'm sure the content will come. I will be mainly watching movies and tv with it in a living room.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I wouldnt buy any 4k TV today in the hopes of their being content for it in 3+ years.

In 3+ years you can probably buy a much better 4k, for cheaper, with newer features that you would want(that may not even exist now)

Don't try to plan on a TV lasting you 10 years...it'll be horribly, horribly out of date and behind on current technology by that point

I was the first person I knew to jump on the HDTV bandwagon. Bought a 55" HDTV Projection TV in 2000 for about $3500. One of those big 5-foot tall and 6 foot wide monsters on wheels. Probably weighed 500lbs. There was no HD content at that point (a couple of 720p Xbox games, and that was it). Waited a couple years for cable TV to catch up, and then by 2010 I had this monstrous behemoth of a TV that was woefully out of date (no HDMI, only component video, and only 720p/1080i, no 1080p), and 55" LCDs were selling for 1/3 the price I had paid for that thing. Even 5 years into the ordeal I would have been better off waiting. Several years of no content and then by 2005 55" LCDs were under $2000

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Good points. I measured my viewing distance and it looks like it is 12'. Which means that I wont be able to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p anyway, so I guess i'm going to get a better and bigger 1080, rather than a budget 4K.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldnt buy any 4k TV today in the hopes of their being content for it in 3+ years.

In 3+ years you can probably buy a much better 4k, for cheaper, with newer features that you would want(that may not even exist now)

Don't try to plan on a TV lasting you 10 years...it'll be horribly, horribly out of date and behind on current technology by that point

I was the first person I knew to jump on the HDTV bandwagon. Bought a 55" HDTV Projection TV in 2000 for about $3500. One of those big 5-foot tall and 6 foot wide monsters on wheels. Probably weighed 500lbs. There was no HD content at that point (a couple of 720p Xbox games, and that was it). Waited a couple years for cable TV to catch up, and then by 2010 I had this monstrous behemoth of a TV that was woefully out of date (no HDMI, only component video, and only 720p/1080i, no 1080p), and 55" LCDs were selling for 1/3 the price I had paid for that thing. Even 5 years into the ordeal I would have been better off waiting. Several years of no content and then by 2005 55" LCDs were under $2000
The TVs that are 4k capable still have better picture quality at lower resolutions than their 1080 brethren though right? So even if you can't take advantage of the 4k in a consistent and meaningful way, you still have a nicer picture at 1080. Whether that is worth the extra 500 to 1000 is up for debate and up to each individual to decide.