HDTVs

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I have a 26 inch Vizio LED that I really like. I got it a couple years ago from Target as a pre Black Friday deal (like $50 less than in the Amazon link below)... It's served me well so far but I don't game on it that much so maybe it's a terrible recommendation

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E261VA-2...words=vizio+tv

edit: its 720p. Why do you need 1080? New console stuff that I'm unaware of probably?
I don't NEED 1080p but if I am going to spend some cash I would like to get something that will fill the role properly. The TV will be used to play games 99% of the time and i will be sitting about 2-3 feet from it.

Whatever fills that role best ill buy.

Drew

Molten Core Raider
I don't NEED 1080p but if I am going to spend some cash I would like to get something that will fill the role properly. The TV will be used to play games 99% of the time and i will be sitting about 2-3 feet from it.

Whatever fills that role best ill buy.
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Database for input lag on many displays. This is for TVs and monitors. TVs generally fall between 20-30ms latency for the best ones.

Start at the top, find your size, Google some reviews.

There is only one 32" TV in the excellent section. The Samsung UN32EH4003. Can be had for under $300.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4k is useless? Yea.. going to have to disagree with you there.

32 channel audio? Probably overkill, but I can see it being handy for handling multi source audio over 1 cable.

*edit* Yep:
Update: The HDMI Forum has listed a few more specs in its FAQ, including that HDMI 2.0 is spec'd to handle up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency, dual video streams for multiple users on a single screen, multi-stream audio to as many as 4 users at once and support for 21:9 widescreen displays.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
100% useless? Of course not. Buy new tv and cables and receiver and media useless? Yep. 720p->1080p is marginal enough, 1080p->4k is going to be really hard to justify. Let alone most of your TV shows aren't going to be broadcast in that format for a long time.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still going to have to disagree with your 1080p->4k is marginal. The PPI on everything else (phones, tablets, laptops, etc) has skyrocketed and look amazing for it. My 75" Samsung would make a huge difference jumping up to 4k. I have seen the 85" Samsung 4k and the 84" Sony 4k and they are stunning.

I will completely agree, however, that any 4k media in abundance is a long way off. That said, you need the architecture behind the format (like HDMI 2.0) long before media availability.

I look forward to 4k just as much as I looked forward to the jump to 1080p.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Do you sit as close to your tv as you do those devices you listed in parentheses? Honest question, I'm not trying to imply you're wrong, I just haven't done the math to know if you can actually compare the PPI on those devices with a TV. The huge difference in viewing distance would seem to invalidate such a comparison.

And this is where someone copies the link for the viewing distance chart and how close you'd have to sit to your TV to see the difference between 1080p and 4k, and that most people aren't even sitting close enough for 720p->1080p. So, it's just opinion at this point. On my setup, on my tv and viewing distance, the difference between 720p and 1080p is so marginal that I care more about how much space the files take up than the resolution. 1080p is a fucking space hog. Can't imagine what 4k is going to be.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am not claiming I have some magic fucking vision or anything, but I am sitting (at a guess) 12-14ft away from a 75" tv and I can tell night and day between a 720p and 1080p source. Anytime, night or day, blind test me. I wish I couldnt tell the difference because I would save a shit ton of space on my NAS media server.

The two different make 4k TVs I saw were pretty glaringly obvious too.

I have certainly heard some people say they cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p source material though, so your argument has merit. The couple friends I know in RL that have made these claims are damn near legally blind and dont wear their prescription glasses half the time either. lol

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do you sit as close to your tv as you do those devices you listed in parentheses? Honest question, I'm not trying to imply you're wrong, I just haven't done the math to know if you can actually compare the PPI on those devices with a TV. The huge difference in viewing distance would seem to invalidate such a comparison.

And this is where someone copies the link for the viewing distance chart and how close you'd have to sit to your TV to see the difference between 1080p and 4k, and that most people aren't even sitting close enough for 720p->1080p. So, it's just opinion at this point. On my setup, on my tv and viewing distance, the difference between 720p and 1080p is so marginal that I care more about how much space the files take up than the resolution. 1080p is a fucking space hog. Can't imagine what 4k is going to be.
The numbers commonly cited to state that HD isn't a big upgrade come from 100+ year old research, most modern research says you can particularly if you're using the THX suggested viewing distances.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Sweet. Now someone make a 100" one for less than 5 grand. I don't even give a fuck if it's only 1080p.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Has to bode well if 4K OLEDs can get down to reasonable prices, LED/LCDs will be DIRT cheap at that point

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I want an 80" TV for my next set which will be a few years from now. I want it for around $1,400. Might happen.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I never said it wouldn't catch on. It is infact snake oil, but it'll replace everything eventually. Nature of technology, etc. Also people who buy high end LEDs are suckers who burn money with Plasma being so much better *and* cheaper.

Don't put words in my mouth, you retarded cum dumpster.