Headphones & Audio Devices

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
These occasionally go on sale for 99 bucks. Did the old switcheroo for a white pair. (I owned the black pair)

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay, I need the expert advice. I'm thinking about jumping into the Schiit stack stuff. I largely just game and content consumption, I don't overly much music on my computer though sometimes. I'm also curious if there is a way to have multiple different listening devices plugged in, though I don't need to use them at once, more just a swap option.

What kind of stuff should I be looking at? (bonus if you explain why that over something else!)

Edit: I have DT 770 Pro 80ohm headphones right now that I've had for like 6 years and still work great. I'm thinking about picking up some 990's because I want to see how I feel about open vs closed. If I was to get a Schiit stack, and to get 990's, is there any particular reason to go 250 over 80ohm?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think I'm looking at either Modius Magnius Schiit stack or JDS Labs El Amp and DAC

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have the Modius Magnus set up. I leave my head phones plugged in. Just turn it on and set the output with a click on my computer. So I can use my speakers or headphones really easily.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay, I need the expert advice. I'm thinking about jumping into the Schiit stack stuff. I largely just game and content consumption, I don't overly much music on my computer though sometimes. I'm also curious if there is a way to have multiple different listening devices plugged in, though I don't need to use them at once, more just a swap option.

What kind of stuff should I be looking at? (bonus if you explain why that over something else!)

Edit: I have DT 770 Pro 80ohm headphones right now that I've had for like 6 years and still work great. I'm thinking about picking up some 990's because I want to see how I feel about open vs closed. If I was to get a Schiit stack, and to get 990's, is there any particular reason to go 250 over 80ohm?

Have you considered the Schiit Hel since you don't do much music? I fucking love mine and use it for music and games.

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Have you considered the Schiit Hel since you don't do much music? I fucking love mine and use it for music and games.
I did look at it quite a bit, and it seems to make sense. I went with the JDS El Amp and DAC though. My thinking is better to have the DAC and Amp separate incase I decide I want to upgrade one later, and I like this because it's got a button for switching between speakers and headphones so I can run both through it.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you mainly game just buy a Soundblaster G6 or an X4. X4 for sure if you have speakers.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Anyone know how to restore the Windows pop up you get when plugging in to the audio jack? Got my kid a new laptop and headphones. Stupidly clicked Don't Notify Again when the pop up appeared but didn't click line in option. Quite annoying.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Naming on jack adapters feels backwards to me. If I plug my headphones 3.5 into it and it comes out a 6.35 it should be 3.5 to 6.35, but it's not it is 6.35 to 3.5. So I got the wrong adapter, F. I had also got a 3.5 to RCA split though for my shitty speakers, and can use that with my headphones for the time being.

After being slightly retarded on setup (JDS El DAC has a few input modes, and you just switch between them by tapping on the power button which doesn't have any tactile feedback) shit sounds pretty great. I feel like I'm hearing more in music

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you mainly game just buy a Soundblaster G6 or an X4. X4 for sure if you have speakers.
I had a G6. It died after about 10 months. It was under warranty so I sent it in and got a replacement, that replacement worked for about another 9 months and it died too, it powers on but cannot be detected by anything, tried multiple known-good micro-usb cables too. It was a good amp for my Sundaras while it worked but I'm pretty wary of creative at this point, if someone does get one get an extended warranty.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I tried the apple air pod pros a while back and ended up returning them. The noise canceling and functions were great, the music sound was good enough for buds, but the fit for my ears was terrible. Have tried 3-4 wireless buds and they’ve all hurt.

Picked up the new beats fit pro from my points program at work. and am finally happy to have something that fits. They perform the same as the air pod pros but actually fit, don’t fall out, don’t hurt after long use, and don’t look completely stupid like the air pods. My only complaint is the case is complete trash that you’d expect from $19 Amazon knockoff buds, not something I expected from Apple. However the buds are what matters.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had a G6. It died after about 10 months. It was under warranty so I sent it in and got a replacement, that replacement worked for about another 9 months and it died too, it powers on but cannot be detected by anything, tried multiple known-good micro-usb cables too. It was a good amp for my Sundaras while it worked but I'm pretty wary of creative at this point, if someone does get one get an extended warranty.
What motherboard do you have? That sounds like something fucky with the USB voltage.

Break

What motherboard do you have? That sounds like something fucky with the USB voltage.
Might have been, the first time it died was with an asus maximus x hero and the most recent with a x570 dark hero after i moved the older PC to another part of the house, although both were plugged into the maximus x at one point. I haven't had any other USB peripherals die on me though that I can think of.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have a similar problem with my Schiit Modi 2 DAC. Skimping on proper soldering seems to be the issue. Others have reported baking the part long enough to cause the solder to reflow will fix the issue. All I know is that sometimes, I power down my PC at night for an update, my DAC won't subsequently be recognized by my system despite being powered on. Stick it in front of a space heater while I make coffee, functions fine. Wake up computer from sleep mode, functions fine.

Break

Well this is weird, I was frustrated recently with my Fiio e10k amp not being loud enough and I plugged my G6 back in. It didn't seem to detect it like before, but when I opened the creative app it said there was a firmware available and to my surprise it actually flashed it, and now it works again.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've been using my G6 on my PS5 and it actually works pretty damn good.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Picked up off hardware swap 2x pair of Astro A40TR with the mixamp and this shit is pretty cool. Like most headphones, they barely don't fit me vertically, but I'm thinking about getting a replacement set of earcups that might work better. At the very least I'm thinking I'll use the mixamp as it has a few more features versus just my DAC I'm using now.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Picked up off hardware swap 2x pair of Astro A40TR with the mixamp and this shit is pretty cool. Like most headphones, they barely don't fit me vertically, but I'm thinking about getting a replacement set of earcups that might work better. At the very least I'm thinking I'll use the mixamp as it has a few more features versus just my DAC I'm using now.

I remember on my A40's that I had to angle them backwards to keep them from hurting my head, it took awhile to get used to since they felt near to falling off but they never did.