Headphones & Audio Devices

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
100 bucks for those Sennheiser is a super hot deal.

Just get the E10K with it. You're going to hear ground loop if you plug it directly into your computer (and possible noise as well)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Has anyone ever tried any of those aviation headset to USB adapters? I have a pair of David Clark H10-13.4s and they are about 300x more comfortable than any of these shitty PC headsets I've tried over the years. I know they sell them for sim cockpit BS but I've only ever used them on VHF so not really sure on audio quality comparison.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The Sennheiser 558s are pretty much always around $100. Now, Mist posted a link a couple weeks back where the 598s were on sale for $95, that was a hell of a deal as they are usually ~$150 or so.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones - Black: Electronics

I think several of us here jumped on that deal for $95 598s. I've been using them a ton for the past few weeks and they're amazing.

I also picked up the Asus Xonar sound card/amp that was linked here (around $30 on Amazon). It definitely made a noticeable difference with the 598s, but I honestly couldn't tell you if it was because of the amp or more the fact that I went from using onboard shitty Realtek audio to an actual soundcard. Maybe a little of both...not sure though. If you already have a dedicated sound card, the amp may not do a whole lot for you with a pair of 558s or 598s, I didn't ever have the ability to test a dedicated sound card with and without and amp, it was all or nothing for me.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Just set up the headphones/amp, they're awesome. The sound leak isn't anywhere near as bad as some of the reviews I saw made it out to be.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but here goes.

Is there a way to have windows media player output through computer speakers, but everything else output through headphones? My baby daughter needs her sleeping music, that plays through the computer speakers, but I want to be able to listen to other things, without her hearing it all.

Thanks.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
switch from windows media player to media player classic or something else. set as default audio output device to headphones and change manually in the mpc options the sound output to speakers.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
well depends on your definition i guess but they fold up nicely and fit in my northface pocket.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
switch from windows media player to media player classic or something else. set as default audio output device to headphones and change manually in the mpc options the sound output to speakers.
Gave this a shot this afternoon, and I couldn't get the sound to output through speakers. I was choosing different playback options Under Options -> Output -> Audio Renderer. Changed it to All of them, and would hit Apply, and it never came out through the computer speakers I have plugged in, only through the BT earbuds I just plugged in and are set as Default.

Edit: Got it. Had to reload (Control-E), and it's working fine now. I didn't know that it didn't change those things on the fly. Thanks!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
What did you get bro? Pics? I like pics.
The ones you linked. I'd post pics but I broke my phone about 2 weeks ago =/. Touch-screen had been acting up for a while and it crapped out while I was at work, spent like 2 hours gradually getting angrier trying to fix it and ended up smashing a few parts of it when I got sick of it. That gets to be my next purchase!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the Astro A40's + Mixamp, would the Mixamp work as well as the E10k with those 598's?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well, not sure what is going on with the E10k. Was working fine yesterday and works fine on my Surface Pro, but for some reason now it is an unrecognized USB device on my desktop. New USB port doesn't matter, or restart, etc... Not finding a lot of information out there either since it is just a plug and play piece of equipment.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Go into device manager and delete all the unused/excess drivers. I had that problem with my O2 DAC before and found out that some of the unused driver was interfering with the O2 DAC driver.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Go into device manager and delete all the unused/excess drivers. I had that problem with my O2 DAC before and found out that some of the unused driver was interfering with the O2 DAC driver.
Thanks, trying that now. I'm pretty sure nothing real bad will happen if I just start uninstalling these, and if it is something important it'll be reapplied when I use it or reboot. The Invalid Device Descriptor is the DAC. Do you remember if that was the same error yours was throwing?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Brahma, I've decided on what I'm spending dumb gift cards and points on, can you please window shop <~$350 on a new headset setup for me?

Right now I have onboard sound (RealTek) and I am going to return my 4th pair of G930s because I just can't stand the stupid things disconnecting anymore. Looks like options on the wishlist are sort of circling around 558s ($100), 598s ($150), modmic 4.0 ($55), SB Z series($70/$100), FiiO DAC ($100), GameZero ($250), etc.? Seems like saying 'screw it' and buying the GameZero would be the easiest... but least open to later upgrade/changes. I still have my Audio Technica reference set as monitors so I don't mind having a biased EQ for listening on this set.

Do you have the SB Zx or just the Z by the way? I'm not sure if that little audio control module does anything useful and some reviews mention that it actually hurts sound quality from the on-board amp.

Thanks