Headphones & Audio Devices

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I had a pair of HD 280 Pro's before I got my open HD 518's. They are closed and designed for a studio environment so they are rated for 32db of attentuation, with them on and nothing playing i could barely hear anything, with music running I wouldn't hear someone being murdered 3 feet away. (for comparison foam ear plugs are usually 32-34db) Well built, can fold up for travel. Headphone cable is not soldered in, it has internal clips so it can be replaced if damaged without resoldering.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones: Electronics

Also the new replacement for those the HD 380

Amazon.com: Sennheiser Collapsible Headphones HD 380 Pro, Black: Musical Instruments

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Definitely leaning towards the 380s, though I would probably want to buy a shorter, non coiled cable for them.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So my cable for my Senns PC350 is all messed up. An old pet got on to one and chewed through the cord years ago and didn't cut all the way through but exposed some stuff and the right can doesn't work anymore, or it does intermittently.

I have the replacement cable and the headset, but I'm an idiot and realized I don't have the ability to remove the cable and re-sodder the new ones. (I don't have the know how or the tools)

You think it's worth sending in these for repair for $82.00 + shipping or just buy a new set of whatever make and model?

I've had this head set for a while now. Not sure what the good headsets out there. Any opinions?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
So my cable for my Senns PC350 is all messed up. An old pet got on to one and chewed through the cord years ago and didn't cut all the way through but exposed some stuff and the right can doesn't work anymore, or it does intermittently.

I have the replacement cable and the headset, but I'm an idiot and realized I don't have the ability to remove the cable and re-sodder the new ones. (I don't have the know how or the tools)

You think it's worth sending in these for repair for $82.00 + shipping or just buy a new set of whatever make and model?

I've had this head set for a while now. Not sure what the good headsets out there. Any opinions?
If you already have the cable and you're willing to buy a new set of phones, try fixing it yourself first. It's really easy, and you can look online for quick tutorials.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Might not be worth it fixing himself as he'd need to buy a soldering iron/station, solder, flux, etc

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you're inclined to buy new, you could still buy a cheap soldering station and try to fix them as a backup pair. Soldering is a good skill to have

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think the Game One is just a a 558 with a mic, good set of headphones. Everything I've tried in the xx8 series are good, very comfortable.

I know some guys love the ATs for their positional audio, I would recommend trying a pair on if you can. I have never liked their winglet headbands, ymmv obviously.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I ended up buying the game ones. I love Senns and they fit perfectly on my head. Why bother risking something different for the sake of something different.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So my second pair of G930s broke. I have nice studio and portable headphones as well as a wired backup headset but I still need to find a new wireless one. Same failure on the G930 twice, little plate holding in oversized ear piece just shatters because it needs to be billet not stupid plastic. Any suggestions on HQ wireless headset (with mic obviously)?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So I have an old AIWA NSX-AV85 stereo system. I've been using it since the late 90s and it's worked wonders hitherto. But yesterday I noticed that sound wasn't coming from the left speaker. After mucking with the wires I found out that there is nothing wrong with the wires or speakers, the problem lies in the left speaker connector in the box. After opening her up and cleaning as best I could it still doesn't work. So I have two questions:

1. Anyone know any tips for possible fixes or remedies?

2. If it can't be fixed I'll have to buy a new set. This set lasted almost 20 years, and I hope that whatever I buy will last a good long time too, so quality is important. I'm a semi-audiophile but I can't be arsed with setting up surround sound and shit like that, I just like two good main speakers. Also, I have the stereo wired to my computer with the speakers on each side of my monitors. The stereo is hooked up to my computer and I use it as my sound system, as well as radio/CDs. Anyone have any recommendations of manufacturers and makes? They don't have to look spiffy, just get the job done.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I plan on moving my 5.1 system to the bedroom and getting an amp + 2 speakers for my desktop since I listen to music most of the time.

What are my options with a 300-400$ budget (for me it's gonna be more like 600$ with taxes & shit). I plan to buy locally but there's so many of them and I've been happy with those Z-5500 for the last 10 years so I'm oblivious about audio stuff.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
I don't know much about them personally, but a friend of mine who is really into all that shit raves about the Audioengine A5+. They're typically around $400 for the two speakers with their built in amp.

Fadaar

That guy
I have the extremely similar G4me Zero's and they're amazing. I'd definitely go for those over the One, leather is so much easier to clean and keep clean. However if you don't want the noise cancelling on the Zero go with the One. It really blocks outside sound so if you have kids or something to keep an eye on probably a bad idea.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Has anyone had any experience with bone conduction headphones? They basically seem like magic to me at the moment. I don't need excellent audio quality, my primary driver is wireless for biking. The secondary is that, if this worked, I wouldn't have to do the 'one on one off' strategy of headphones currently. I still like to be somewhat spatially aware. Overall reviews seem positive. Could be a neat toy.

AfterShokz

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Honestly for PS4 nothing can beat the sony golds considering the price, you can snag them at costco for $60. Totally wireless (can use on PC too), surround, stay charged for 4-5 hours, better surround than my $150 PX4 turtle beech. Overall better sound quality than any turtle beech.