Health Problems

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't have diabetus but I deal with raynaud's and it took me a while to learn to change into dry socks 2-3 times a day during periods where it was flaring up. I imagine that doing it is a good thing to do for people at risk with diabetes related foot issues as well. Even the smallest amount of moisture can result in the skin getting irritated and blistered which can't be good for the tissue.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Usually my feet don't sweat but they used to in my 20s like a mother.

So far my feet are ok, never really had any injuries either or abrasions. My toes definitely have less feeling than a normal.person but I can still feel. It sucks but it Is what it is

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I somehow broke a toe this week. Not even sure how the fuck I did it. I don't remember kicking anything, but it's all purple and swollen now (it's gone down some in the last 24h). But I have really long finger-toes and I've broken them a lot over the years, and a few try healing along the joint so that I can't really bend them anymore. Maybe I just twisted a toe wrong, who knows.

What bothers me more is that over the last year I started having skin layers peeling on both feet, starting at the pinky toes and spreading about half the width of my foot on my soles. Skin will start getting glossy, feels like old-person skin, then I'll end up with these really rough areas like the skin just...poofed. Probably just some sort of bizarre eczema.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I somehow broke a toe this week. Not even sure how the fuck I did it. I don't remember kicking anything, but it's all purple and swollen now (it's gone down some in the last 24h). But I have really long finger-toes and I've broken them a lot over the years, and a few try healing along the joint so that I can't really bend them anymore. Maybe I just twisted a toe wrong, who knows.

What bothers me more is that over the last year I started having skin layers peeling on both feet, starting at the pinky toes and spreading about half the width of my foot on my soles. Skin will start getting glossy, feels like old-person skin, then I'll end up with these really rough areas like the skin just...poofed. Probably just some sort of bizarre eczema.

Get one of those fish pedicures and see what happens. For science..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet Foot Cream since we moved to ks, my wife got dry cracked skin, so we just bought the hand version of this on a lark. fucking got smoothed overnight. My foot started to get old person and flaky, used the same hand cream on foot, and while not baby soft, it's smooth and not cracked.

it must be fucking Kansas that the weather can overpower asian young genes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Several days in the hospital. Stepped on a step off my deck on a normaly 7" step and broke my femur. Go in next week after christmas for a bone density test and scan.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Lanx Lanx , make sure to buy one of those gel gloves and foot socks to keep the moisturizer locked inside. Your hands and feet will love you for using O'Keefe (most nurses use this at home).

Borzak Borzak , ouch!! Sorry man. Large bone fractures are at risk for fat emboli, so they'll likely monitor you for those and put you on anti-coagulation therapy (if you're not on it already). Are you in traction or is it just a long cast? Or are you even in staying inpatient?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx , make sure to buy one of those gel gloves and foot socks to keep the moisturizer locked inside. Your hands and feet will love you for using O'Keefe (most nurses use this at home).

Borzak Borzak , ouch!! Sorry man. Large bone fractures are at risk for fat emboli, so they'll likely monitor you for those and put you on anti-coagulation therapy (if you're not on it already). Are you in traction or is it just a long cast? Or are you even in staying inpatient?
something like this? NatraCure Moisturizing Gel Gloves - (For dry hands, dry skin, dry cuticles, eczema) - Colors: Aqua or Lavender cool, no idea what it does.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah my wife wears those for extreme eczema when she sleeps with lotion on. It locks the lotion in and probably keeps dry air out

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Glycemic Index and Diabetes

Food with high glycemic index will raise blood sugars more quickly. I remember learning that pretzels have especially high GI. Don’t know why that always stuck with me. But yes, stay away from foods with high GI (chart in link).

I used to always tell my patients to watch out for things like "crunchy crackers". Saltines. Pretzels. Toasting things raises the GI in general. Thank you all for providing diabetic education; we former HH nurses who had to pack venous stasis ulcers in filthy conditions thank you.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
my neuropathy is from chemotherapy, not diabetes, but from what i understand the effect is similar...

i've had great luck reducing my neuropathy by supplementing with Alpha Lipoic Acid. if neuorapthy is an issue for any of you guys, i'd really recommend trying it.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

I'm the worst patient, at least in the ER.

Rate your pain on a score of 1-10 on a chart from happy face to sad face. Half a dozen times.

I rate it a 3, it's got a nice beat and I can dance to it.

Borzak

my neuropathy is from chemotherapy, not diabetes, but from what i understand the effect is similar...

i've had great luck reducing my neuropathy by supplementing with Alpha Lipoic Acid. if neuorapthy is an issue for any of you guys, i'd really recommend trying it.

I had good luck with alpha lipoic acid as well. Mine didn't come from diabetes either but never damage from ADEM/MS.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

Yeah my wife wears those for extreme eczema when she sleeps with lotion on. It locks the lotion in and probably keeps dry air out

CeraVe moisturizing creme. Apparently there's a difference in moisturizing creme and lotion.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I never feel like I'm doing the right thing with those "rate your pain" papers. I'll have pain and schedule an appointment. Sure enough when it happens, the pain has dropped to a 1 or 2. Regardless of the issue. In many cases it's because I've gotten used to it and I know how to avoid the pain spikes. It could still be a serious issue, but I adapt well.

What annoys me even more is imagining the fuckers that say their pain is a 10. Who knows, it may never happen, but I always picture some lawyer in my head screaming at the top of his lungs because he "kinda" stubbed his toe while walking very slowly on a sidewalk. Fuck those people.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Naw. We have nurses who double glove or are just afraid of a patient because of risk of exposure to HIV. Really it is standard precautions. Telling me that someone is HIV+ means very little to me unless they have some kind of opportunistic infection, which then education can certainly lead a role for the patient.

My wife was really sick one day and throwing up bad. She also had shingles on her arm. She didnt know that's what it was, but she went into the doctor (it was christmas day a few years ago) to find out why she was so sick, and the nurse checked her out and said "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE SHINGLES, I'M PREGNANT I CAN'T BE NEAR YOU!" and ran out. Like, fucking really? I had to spend the next 30 minutes explaining to my wife that shingles sucks, but that she's not gonna die from it or anything.