Health Problems

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Several days in the hospital. Stepped on a step off my deck on a normaly 7" step and broke my femur. Go in next week after christmas for a bone density test and scan.

If you were playing PoE this league this would not have happened.

Karma's a bitch, pal. Just kidding, hope you recover soon :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Were you at least drunk? (lie to us, even)

That sucks bro, be careful hobbling around

I didn't fall. I stepped down a normal step and heard a giant pop and I knew something was wrong and felt it. Any weight at all was the end of the world.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I never feel like I'm doing the right thing with those "rate your pain" papers. I'll have pain and schedule an appointment. Sure enough when it happens, the pain has dropped to a 1 or 2. Regardless of the issue. In many cases it's because I've gotten used to it and I know how to avoid the pain spikes. It could still be a serious issue, but I adapt well.

What annoys me even more is imagining the fuckers that say their pain is a 10. Who knows, it may never happen, but I always picture some lawyer in my head screaming at the top of his lungs because he "kinda" stubbed his toe while walking very slowly on a sidewalk. Fuck those people.

I've legitimately been at a 10 before.

TECHNICALLY everyone has, because a 10 is just "the worst pain you've ever felt in your life.". Which is different for everyone.

But yeah, 10s in the non technical sense do happen. Cancer sucks.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I mean my 10 was a boil on my leg that legitimately was so painful I didnt sleep a single minute over.a few days. But that's pussy shit in comparison. I would've told a doctor 10/10 at the time

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I would have rated turning my right knee 180 as a 10, but I'm sure there are worse pains out there.

The story about that dude getting impaled in Lumie's thread, sheesh, I can only imagine.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Smashing my big toe with a 50 pound brick while I was wearing flip flops felt like a 10. That was 20 minutes of cold sweating, nauseating agony.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Steel toe boots :) Not sure they make steel toe flip flops tho, after a little investigation apparently they do.

83436810.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
those are made specifically so Jersey Shore style dude bros can kick people in the nuts a bit harder when they get in bar fights

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Smashing my big toe with a 50 pound brick while I was wearing flip flops felt like a 10. That was 20 minutes of cold sweating, nauseating agony.
Oh yeah I forgot at my supermarket job our dock plate weighed several hundred pounds and you had to manually pull up from below the floor and flip it into the truck, was on a track. Some dumbass put it in backwards so when it came up it immediately.swung over the top and landed down on my big toe. My entire shoe was filled with blood and I broke that toe. I told everyone to clear the room because I needed a few minutes to talk to god

• 1Worf

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't be afraid to point to 10.

pain is a useful indicator and response, but it physically retards healing.

and yeah, I've had two cases of ten in my life. It exists for sure.

if you think to yourself, "I might die and that might not be the worst thing to happen" you're at ten.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I had surgery to grind off excess bone from the the head of my femur so that it would move better in the hip socket and stop worsening my osteoarthritis. They put in a nerve block during the surgery, and between that, the other medications, and general confusion I forgot to take my opiods. I woke up in the middle of the night literally screaming in agony and had to bite down on my sheets to keep from breaking my teeth. It was a very long 30-45 minutes until the dose I took kicked in sufficiently.

That was probably a 9 compared to dying in a fire.

When they did the other hip, believe you me I set a fucking alarm for the meds.

• 2Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My worst was definitely when I slipped and dumped a 20 qt pot of boiling pasta on my left thigh. I had gone straight from high school to the restaurant and hadn't bothered changing yet, so It was made worse by me still wearing jeans.

Having to go through debridement every few days for the next several weeks sucked.

iannis

Musty Nester
Woof.

for me I got hepatitis. Not the virus, I'm clean of that. My liver swole up one week though about 15 years ago. No idea why, and it's never happened before or since.

good god, you wouldn't think it would be that painful but it was.

• 2Solidarity

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Most of the patients who arrive in the ER point to 10. These patients are also on their phone and look comfortable. The pain scale absolutely does not work one bit except for certain cultures -- stoicism -- (Asian) as it is easily exploitable. People just want the D.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
People just want the D.

That they do. I've spoken to people who claim to be having 11/10 pain but sounded perfectly normal except for maybe a touch of desperation in their voice when they mentioned having something called in for them.

I've only had dilaudid once, when I was in the ER for appendicitis 6 years ago.That was probably #2 all time for pain. Got a chuckle out of the PA when I told him my pain level was about a 9.5, but my scale is logarithmic so there was plenty of room between 9.5 and 10. That stuff works nicely though.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The face scale is actually a much more accurate tool when assessing pain:

4823645612_c1cb98a1d6_b.jpg

• 1Worf