Health Problems

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think it's weird that if you say "yeah i've thought about hurting myself" they can just lock you up. That could ruin your life - maybe you'd lose your job, maybe you'd lose your friends/wife, etc. It fosters a behavior of not telling people these things if you know that's what happens. I understand if you say "I'm going to kill myself when I leave" then maybe someone should step in.

Is it the same for homicidal ideations? I think in that case they might even call the police?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The problem is, is that we have patients who say, "Yeah, I'm depressed," don't get placed on holds, then immediately go out and kill themselves. Yes, it has happened in our ED. One patient jumped from our ambulance bay to the basement floor. Who's in trouble? Not only the hospital, but the nurse(s) who triaged the patient who are REQUIRED TO ASK, "Do you have thoughts of hurting yourself?".

I feel completely bad for the patients who come in that are placed on involuntary holds. They are not aware of what happens and then are required to stay there until either they are cleared by psychiatry or are placed in an inpatient facility. It does foster a belief that people should not be telling nurses and physicians that they are/have been depressed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I just think it's the wrong way to deal with it. How to deal with it better, that I have no fucking clue.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, for whatever reason my natural Testosterone gains were short-lived. I've had it checked two more times recently and I was back in the 300ish range.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on TRT. I'm doing injections every 3rd day (.3 cc of 200mg strength solution of 80% cypionate and 20% propionate). Over a month it's an average of 150mg of testosterone a week.

I'm only 5 days in and I'm already starting to feel positive changes in my mood an energy levels. Never had ED issues so I can't attest to that, not that 5 days is enough time to address that issue.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The problem is, is that we have patients who say, "Yeah, I'm depressed," don't get placed on holds, then immediately go out and kill themselves. Yes, it has happened in our ED. One patient jumped from our ambulance bay to the basement floor. Who's in trouble? Not only the hospital, but the nurse(s) who triaged the patient who are REQUIRED TO ASK, "Do you have thoughts of hurting yourself?".

I feel completely bad for the patients who come in that are placed on involuntary holds. They are not aware of what happens and then are required to stay there until either they are cleared by psychiatry or are placed in an inpatient facility. It does foster a belief that people should not be telling nurses and physicians that they are/have been depressed.

and typically if you get put in an inpatient facility, they force you to take medication against your will, and if you don't they won't let you leave. it's barbaric.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just got back from days on the LazyL ranch on the Nueces river. I guess it helped the mind a little. Nothing for the pain tho.

Personally I have never been asked if I had thoughts of killing/harming myself. I did have a doctor ask if I had thoughts of hurting someone else. "You mean like all the Doctors I've been seeing?" He kind of half smiled and dropped it.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
A family related story:

My 19 yr old nephew had broken a bone in his wrist. He feel badly playing soccer, so they rush him to hospital, put a cast on him and figured that'd be okay. Fast forwards to when they take the cast off. He was feeling pain in his forearm and could not use his right arm for anything involving even mild strength, plus there's an out of place 'shape' at the wrist. Back to the doctors who do a bunch more X-rays and then see that the bone has fused out of alignment. So he goes in for surgery, he gets put under, they ( do something like re-break the bone, not sure of the complete detail ) then put a metal plate plus some bone from his hip ( again not fully sure of the details ).

This all sucks too as he is a really good guitarist, so still to find out how that goes for him.

He had to spend a night in the hospital, so he goes home and is feeling a different kind of pain, a throbbing pressure from the area. They take him back, it turns out that the new cast is putting too much pressure on the surgical area. It's something that can happen, they then need to cut the cast off and do a new one for him.

It turns out the stress and worry had been taking a toll on my brother who starts to feel faint with the cast removal and sight of the where the surgery had happened.

So we now have a picture that the sister in law took, nephew in the hospital bed and my brother lying on the floor, pillow under his head. With someone attending him, checking blood pressure.

Workerbee

Molten Core Raider
Hi everyone,

I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea and am using a CPAP every night while I sleep with a "full face mask" that basically, covers my nose and mouth (resmed quattro-fx, M size).

The trouble I notice is, when I go to sleep and don't put the mask on, my girlfriend has trouble waking me up to put the mask on and spends sometimes between 1-2 hours getting me to put it on. The other part is, that I'm sometimes awake with full motor functions, can eat and stare blankly at the tv screen, but don't remember anything about it later. Also those 1-2 hours of gf trying to wake me up are a no-show for me.

Is that some sort of sleepwalking? Only happens when I'm really sleep deprivated.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You're likely retaining so much CO2 that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to arouse you.

iannis

Musty Nester
that and yeah it probably is a form of sleep walking. awake but not alert.

Oddly, I used to have that "awake but not alert" happen more when I was younger. As i've aged and have to wake up more in the middle of the night to go pee, i'm more alert during it. In fact it's harder and harder to get back to sleep. I've never had apnea, so this isn't relevant to you, it's just my experience with it.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, for whatever reason my natural Testosterone gains were short-lived. I've had it checked two more times recently and I was back in the 300ish range.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on TRT. I'm doing injections every 3rd day (.3 cc of 200mg strength solution of 80% cypionate and 20% propionate). Over a month it's an average of 150mg of testosterone a week.

I'm only 5 days in and I'm already starting to feel positive changes in my mood an energy levels. Never had ED issues so I can't attest to that, not that 5 days is enough time to address that issue.

Interesting scheme.

0.3cc are you doing that Sub-Q? This is a new thing, so I am leaning towards a "no" but your TRT looks cutting edge so maybe you are. Or standard intramuscular?

Recently I have been re-examining my pin options including swapping to a 1/2" length and I also want to try a 29g 1/2" delt shot, but I fear I just don't have the muscular strength and stability to aspirate with 1 hand and then squeeze a full CC through a 29g safely like some of these big apes say they are doing. I'm just trying to open up my options from the glutes which I've been hitting with a 25g over the years. I guess I'll try a 27g 1/2" first.

With something like 0.3cc I think you could bang that with a 29g no problem shallow IM.

Some day I want to move to Sub-Q only but I'm waiting for more examples of it working well. Very few docs are interested in that, but its caught some attention.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are a lot of heavy proponents of sub-q. Many of them believe it helps reduce aromatization. I honestly don't know how much more or less valuable it is. There's not enough hard evidence.

Personally, I'm just doing traditional intramuscular. I draw with an 18 and inject with a 27 in my thigh. As you said, with a .3 dose I could easily draw/inject it with the 27, but the needle is so fine doing so would dull it.

The point of the solution being 80/20 is that the propionate bridges that small gap between peak and trough. I don't use an AI at all because they're completely unnecessary for the overwhelming majority of men and cause a fuckton of sides.

I was prescribed hCG with the the Test, but I don't use it because I need to get my Test dose dialed in perfectly before adding another significant variable that fucks with my hormones. Also, I really couldn't care less about fertility and my testicles getting slightly smaller.

The decision to go on TRT was a HUGE decision for me. I spent 3 years doing heavy research before deciding to make the lifelong choice. However, the research has served me well. Literally knowing more about it than every doctor I have spoken to has been invaluable. I've avoided some very common, but damaging protocols. In truth, my doctor only functions to fill my script because I'm effectively treating myself.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally dropped my HSA when I moved to my new job and back on a PPO.

THANK. GOD.

You guys ever have a kid right after the company decides to abandon their PPO in favor for an HSA? I had to pay nearly $5k out of pocket AND my kid was born in my house without any medical assistance.

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Finally dropped my HSA when I moved to my new job and back on a PPO.

THANK. GOD.

You guys ever have a kid right after the company decides to abandon their PPO in favor for an HSA? I had to pay nearly $5k out of pocket AND my kid was born in my house without any medical assistance.

Be careful with the math on that. I preferentially use a HDHP PPO with HSA compared to a regular PPO. At least for the plans available to me, if you take into account the HSA tax deduction, the increased premiums for the traditional plan, and differential reimbursement rates for amounts exceeding your deductible, it's categorically cheaper to go with the high deductible no matter how much health care expense you actually incur.

For the non-HDHP plans you're basically paying your insurance company to manage your cash flow for you.

Also, if you contribute more than you remove from your HSA it essentially acts like an extra IRA with no income limits on contribution.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I liked my HSA. Never been big on the insurance deal and rather just pay for stuff out of the HSA (or my pocket) for most small stuff. Of course I think I am one of the few people who use insurance insurance. To take the risk out on larger stuff I didn't want to take. Then all the smaller stuff I just paid for like my insulin and blood testing stuff and such. Even before I moved into an HSA I always just got high deductible insurance and covered the smaller stuff.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Anyone have any personal experience with MS? You or someone close to you, either works.

I'll try not to go into too much detail, I'm not looking for a diagnosis or anything, just wanted to get some "hands on" knowledge or info. Based on symptoms it's something my doc wants to explore.

There's a couple things that have started to become really serious issues in the past year for me. First one that freaks me out the most, is my hands get "spastic" I guess is the best way to put it. I just randomly lose control over my hands, as if there's a momentary disconnect between my brain and hands. It's either just a loss of control, or I'll get something like a spasm and lose control. A related symptom is tremors, I'll frequently get those now. Shit really freaks me out, honestly the scariest part of this whole thing, losing control over my body.

Back issues. I hurt my back pretty bad years ago, but most of my spine area has been an increased source of pain and other issues the past year or 2. I have balance issues sometimes too now, as if my hips and spine get out of alignment. I get all kinds of muscle spasms in my back as well, not just one area, I'll have entire muscle groups seize up and bring me to my knees. I have the spasms elsewhere, especially my feet when I'm in bed, my feet curl up as if the tendons are being pulled tight and the pain is excruciating.

Other shit going on too, but I don't feel like posting it on the internet.

I'm not returning to work this year, currently I can't drive, because I don't feel safe. I can't safely use tools or equipment, which means I'm effectively retired now if this is going to be a longterm thing. Not happy about that idea, I'm 3 months from being 40, and the shit affects my ability to play games, which happens to be the hobby I enjoy the most. Try playing puzzle heavy GW2 when your fucking hands are working against you.

Honestly MS I could handle. If a doc tells me I'm gonna end up like Stephen Hawking, I'll sit in the garage, get real stoned, close the door, and turn the car on.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anyone have any personal experience with MS? You or someone close to you, either works.

I'll try not to go into too much detail, I'm not looking for a diagnosis or anything, just wanted to get some "hands on" knowledge or info. Based on symptoms it's something my doc wants to explore.

There's a couple things that have started to become really serious issues in the past year for me. First one that freaks me out the most, is my hands get "spastic" I guess is the best way to put it. I just randomly lose control over my hands, as if there's a momentary disconnect between my brain and hands. It's either just a loss of control, or I'll get something like a spasm and lose control. A related symptom is tremors, I'll frequently get those now. Shit really freaks me out, honestly the scariest part of this whole thing, losing control over my body.

Back issues. I hurt my back pretty bad years ago, but most of my spine area has been an increased source of pain and other issues the past year or 2. I have balance issues sometimes too now, as if my hips and spine get out of alignment. I get all kinds of muscle spasms in my back as well, not just one area, I'll have entire muscle groups seize up and bring me to my knees. I have the spasms elsewhere, especially my feet when I'm in bed, my feet curl up as if the tendons are being pulled tight and the pain is excruciating.

Other shit going on too, but I don't feel like posting it on the internet.

I'm not returning to work this year, currently I can't drive, because I don't feel safe. I can't safely use tools or equipment, which means I'm effectively retired now if this is going to be a longterm thing. Not happy about that idea, I'm 3 months from being 40, and the shit affects my ability to play games, which happens to be the hobby I enjoy the most. Try playing puzzle heavy GW2 when your fucking hands are working against you.

Honestly MS I could handle. If a doc tells me I'm gonna end up like Stephen Hawking, I'll sit in the garage, get real stoned, close the door, and turn the car on.

My aunt has advanced MS-- she's had it for about 25 years. She can't walk or even feed herself really-- all her movements are totally spastic. She's not Stephen Hawking level-- she can talk, swallow food, and kinda stumble on her feet if someone holds her, but she is effectively wheelchair bound and can't manipulate anything with her hands. It's an incredibly sad situation all around and along with the MS she's gone nuts and become verbally abusive. Her poor son (my cousin) has to go by once a day to help her out only to have guilt and abuse rained down on him. I don't know what to tell you man, it seems like everybody with MS degrades at a different pace. Some of her friends in her MS group have had it as long as she has but have some mobility, while others are like her.. The best you can hope for is that you are in the "slow" group.

Really sorry to hear this man, how old are you?

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
My aunt has advanced MS-- she's had it for about 25 years. She can't walk or even feed herself really-- all her movements are totally spastic. She's not Stephen Hawking level-- she can talk, swallow food, and kinda stumble on her feet if someone holds her, but she is effectively wheelchair bound and can't manipulate anything with her hands. It's an incredibly sad situation all around and along with the MS she's gone nuts and become verbally abusive. Her poor son (my cousin) has to go by once a day to help her out only to have guilt and abuse rained down on him. I don't know what to tell you man, it seems like everybody with MS degrades at a different pace. Some of her friends in her MS group have had it as long as she has but have some mobility, while others are like her.. The best you can hope for is that you are in the "slow" group.

Really sorry to hear this man, how old are you?
I'm 39. I'm not diagnosed, currently in the figure out whats actually wrong with me stage. The problem is this "stage" has been going on for over a year, and I'm sick of all the scans and tests. Health insurance helps, but I'm still stuck in the Canadian medical system. I'm starting to play the diagnose myself with google game, and I know that's not a good rabbit hole to go down. I don't currently know if symptoms are all related, for all I know the spastic/tremors could be caused by a wide range of different neurological issues. I'm 39.

An uncle of mine was diagnosed with MS about 10 years ago, but I don't think its hereditary from what I've read. I don't speak to that side of the family, so no clue how his situation is.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm 39. I'm not diagnosed, currently in the figure out whats actually wrong with me stage. The problem is this "stage" has been going on for over a year, and I'm sick of all the scans and tests. Health insurance helps, but I'm still stuck in the Canadian medical system. I'm starting to play the diagnose myself with google game, and I know that's not a good rabbit hole to go down. I don't currently know if symptoms are all related, for all I know the spastic/tremors could be caused by a wide range of different neurological issues. I'm 39.

An uncle of mine was diagnosed with MS about 10 years ago, but I don't think its hereditary from what I've read. I don't speak to that side of the family, so no clue how his situation is.

My aunt actually lives in Montreal, so she gets Canadian healthcare too, but actually consider yourself lucky because it's better to have a condition like that up north than it is in the US. At least the government up there covers all her doctor's visits and sends a social worker a few times a week to help her out. The quality of the healthcare system doesn't really matter for something like MS, as there is no real effective cure or treatment. She's gotten all the treatments like interferon and stuff, but none of it helped really.

My understanding is it takes a while to be diagnosed with MS as there is no specific test for it and it's a process of elimination, but don't quote me... Get a referral to a neurologist and take it from there..

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
My aunt actually lives in Montreal, so she gets Canadian healthcare too, but actually consider yourself lucky because it's better to have a condition like that up north than it is in the US. At least the government up there covers all her doctor's visits and sends a social worker a few times a week to help her out. The quality of the healthcare system doesn't really matter for something like MS, as there is no real effective cure or treatment. She's gotten all the treatments like interferon and stuff, but none of it helped really.

My understanding is it takes a while to be diagnosed with MS as there is no specific test for it and it's a process of elimination, but don't quote me... Get a referral to a neurologist and take it from there..
I've had the opinion many doctors ask for extra tests and unnecessary appointments here in Canada to make up for dealing with Health Canada bullshit if you have health insurance. Go in with a WCB claim? You'll have 2 appointments a week, and physio will want you in 3-4 times a week.

I'm just frustrated, I'm sure anyone would be when you go through tons of tests, and still no answers. I guess I could be in debt for a few 100k and still not have answers if I was in the US.

Apparently I'm wrong about it not being genetic, your risk is higher with close relatives.