Health Problems

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Well, decided to do some mangrooming this morning for the first time in a while, and noticed two small black raised mole looking things at the base of my dick shaft. Some quick googling and I’ve either got moles, genital warts, or less likely dick cancer. Yippee.

Doesn't sound like warts, dick cancer extremely rare but that doesn't preclude skin cancer of the dick which would also be pretty rare unless you tan your schlong frequently. Probably just moles but get them checked.

Bwhahaha. You should send me or one of the other nurses/MDs here a pic to let ya know. Doesn't sound like warts, though. Lol.

Uh, pass.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if its just getting older or if some other underlying issue is causing this, but for the past 4 months about once a month I get these really debilitating lower back spasms that put me totally out of commission for a few days. Usually triggered by something totally innocuous too like picking up a chair, setting down groceries etc. Guess it’s time to see a doc..... ffs

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Doc will likely write you Rx for muscle relaxer and maybe a narcotic (doubtful). Could always request a XRay or if you're really concerned, a MRI.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't think doctors write prescriptions like they used to. May be dependant on type of doctor or even location. In the past even my dentist would give my hydrocodene prescripts for a cleaning lol. In the past 5 years I've been given prescriptions for tramadol, hydrocodene, and oxycodene. But now it's like pulling teeth to get a muscle relaxer prescription (never got one). I take the tramadol but not the hydro or oxy. I save the hydro for really bad pain that if I feel like I take it I can get back to whatever. The oxy over 2 years I think I have taken 4-5 pills. Save those for days when I feel like it's pill or make an hour+ drive to the ER to be told nothing we can do.

I think now they really like pushing it off on someone else. For the last few years I've tried to get an anti depresent. No luck. General practioner first gave me Prozac and I couldn't take that at all. Then he said go back to the MS doctor. She said go to a physciatrist. The physciatrist said go back to the MS doctor since you have other "issues". Eventually I gave up and went back on a pamelor prescription that I specifically asked for years ago that my mom gave me some and it seemed "ok"ish with no side effects. Along the way an internist I think it was gave me an anti depresant that every time I took the pill within 30 minutes to an hour I threw up. It's been a long time, I think it started with an A. I still have the bottle somewhere. His suggestion was to take on an empty stomach which made no sense.

I can see why pain killers are a big concern now. The few times I went to the ER in Baton Rouge looked like a large percentage were there for their "scripts" and that was it. OH my god I'm gonna to give this hospital a bad review lol.

Most times I have gone to the ER in a smaller town. Normally the ER is someone with a broke leg, or bad injury that you can see easily. I'm sure they get their share of people wanting their script too. But at the times I go it's normally people hurt working or having a cardiac issue.

My friend worked at the charity hospital in New Orleans for years as a nurse before he moved into management over them now. It was a conveyor belt. Come in, sit down, fill out paperwork, get your free orange juice and cookies, go outside to wait till you can do it again in 8 hours or whatever their time limit was. Over and over with the same people. But you can't turn them away.

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if its just getting older or if some other underlying issue is causing this, but for the past 4 months about once a month I get these really debilitating lower back spasms that put me totally out of commission for a few days. Usually triggered by something totally innocuous too like picking up a chair, setting down groceries etc. Guess it’s time to see a doc..... ffs

lower back pain is one of my kidney stone symptoms, it usually turns into more of a stinging in my lower side that travels to my testicles.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My friend is a dentist and says he barely ever writes heavy pain med scrips just because of how terrible people are now

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My friend is a dentist and says he barely ever writes heavy pain med scrips just because of how terrible people are now

My doc completely 180'd on all controlled meds of ANY kind after 1 patient accused him of addicting her to heroin.

That goes for anxiety medication and ADHD treatment. He went nuclear on the whole practice and I had to stop seeing him because he wanted regular check-ins for Adderall in addition to already seeing me once a year. Despite having an Adderall script for over 6-7 years at that point.

The red tape just got to be too much to deal with. Also was prescribed alprazolam 0.25 for insomnia at 28 count, not even 30 count. And that was cut too after years of normalcy.

Some practices nuked their entire controlled medication prescribing due to the "opioid crisis". That's a yikes from me. Its called the fucking opioid crisis for a reason, you'd think they would be smarter than to just knee-jerk like some schoolkid, being a doctor and all.

Ivy league too.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I regularly do 14 hour shifts and need to go to bed early (8pm) as I wake up at 2am and do the whole process over for the next 4+ days. My doc is aware of my work schedule - so he gives me 0.5mg of Xanax and I sometimes cut them in half. He always likes to make the disclaimer that they will cause dementia, lol.

Doctors are definitely trying to avoid a ton of narcotics, though...rightfully so.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

This book is amazing. The exercises in the book are what you would do at physical therapy anyways and they greatly reduce the time it takes to recover from lower back injuries. They also strengthen the muscles to help reduce the occurrences of pain.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pain meds can suck a dick.

I've had 3 spinal fusions (C5-6, C6-7. and L4-5), but I still live in a 4/5 level of daily pain. It occasionally spikes to a 6/7 when I tweak it in the gym, but the baseline is constant. I literally never get a break from it. Because of it, I took Oxycodone-10 4/day for several years, but it really never did anything for the pain, it just made me care a lot less that I was in pain. However, I quit taking them (along with 2400mg of Gabapentin) cold turkey in December of last year because I realized I was going to have to choose (at 41) to periodically increase the dosage to maintain any meaningful effect or just accept the harsh reality of my life post-injury/operations. When I quit taking the Oxy my tolerance had long-since built up to the point where my dosage was only holding off the withdrawals. I finally decided to quit poisoning myself for little-to-no pay-off.

The two weeks after my last dose were the worst days of my life and I've been through some shit. To be clear, I never abused my prescriptions. In fact, I often took less than prescribed, but like everyone who takes opiates long-term I developed a physical dependency and the withdrawals were insane. I had the typical nausea, diarrhea, etc, but those symptoms weren't the real problem for me. I didn't sleep for almost 5 days because I couldn't. I had an INSANE case of RLS (restless leg syndrome) where my thigh bones ached and burned in a way that I can't describe. My entire body ached. Even my skin hurt. I couldn't be still. On one day I paced around the island in our kitchen for 5 hours straight. No matter what I did I was miserable in a way that I have never come close to feeling at any other time. A hot bath helped for a few minutes, but with my hypothalamus not working properly I got overheated very quickly and then I'd fucking freeze to death and shiver uncontrollably after getting out of the water. Even so, I was taking 8-10 baths a day for 6 or 7 days (seriously, no exaggeration). I was in so much agony that I was constantly contemplating killing myself. I still remember visualizing my .38 revolver in my hand. I never would have carried it out, but I wanted to...badly.

I'm not even going to delve further in to the psychological aspects of withdrawal, but suffice it to say PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms) are a bitch and can last for months. Opiates have a huge impact on brain chemistry, but I never really understood it until I was off about 12 days. I experienced the watershed moment while I was sitting at my desk trying to keep my mind occupied by watching music videos and I just burst in to tears. That's not something I normally do, but my body was trying to regain homeostasis. During my years on Oxy, I hadn't realized it, but I gradually lost interest in almost everything that I enjoyed because opiates seriously fuck with our ability to feel pleasure, naturally. Anyway, while sitting there, I remembered that I hadn't turned on the radio in my car in more than a year. However, at that moment I was truly able to enjoy the music for what it was. I told my wife it was like having the warm sun on my face. My heart raced and I could feel the surge of dopamine. I hadn't felt that kind of joyful euphoria in years. To be fair, my body was out-of-wack and the euphoria pendulum was swinging too far the other direction after having been 'turned-off' for so long, but it stabilized after a few weeks. Oh, and the rumor that sex (when you can tolerate it) after you quit opiates being insane is completely true. My cock was so ridiculously sensitive and the orgasms were stupidly powerful.

A little irony in all of this is that I am currently studying to become a clinical substance abuse counselor and before my own experiences I never understood why people just didn't 'stop' their abuse. Now, I have some valuable, personal insight and realize that a lot of addicts are just trying to hold off the personal hell of withdrawal. Even though my withdrawals weren't nearly as bad as those experienced by people who abuse the drugs it taught me a valuable lesson. I still believe that there is a need for Opiates (at least until we can find a better alternative) for people that truly need them, but all patients need to be better informed about the reality of taking them long-term. I, never once, in the 4 years that I took Oxy did I have a single doctor talk to me about the negative effects, withdrawals, etc. To be fair, some of that responsibility rests with me, but I was never even warned. Had I been, I doubt I would have ever agreed to take them.

Fortunately, I escaped the experience without becoming an addict. I still have more than a 100 pills from my last prescription in the medicine drawer, but the idea of taking any of them is revolting.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'm on 10mg oxycodone 6x/day and 10mg methadone 3x/day for my cancer pain and am absolutely dreading the day when i need to get off them. i've experienced opiate withdrawal after shorter / smaller habits before and the idea of going through that again but worse... ugh.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i'm on 10mg oxycodone 6x/day and 10mg methadone 3x/day for my cancer pain and am absolutely dreading the day when i need to get off them. i've experienced opiate withdrawal after shorter / smaller habits before and the idea of going through that again but worse... ugh.

The problem is the technology doesn't exist to taper anyone off.

The medical literature has it as 10% reduction every 2 weeks resulting in absolutely no side effects of any kind.

The problem? What is 10% of 10mg.

Worse, what is 10% of, say, 5mg. It's scary how small of a fraction that is and how we'll likely never be able to make it happen. I can't imagine what the expenses would be for a true laboratory controlled, no-variance truly accurate taper administration would be. The amount of gas spec testing that would have to be done to assure accuracy is mind numbing. It's just not practical and there are other legal logistics in the way. Tapering basically doesn't exist as an option despite the literature being pretty clear on it.

The technology simply doesn't exist, nor does the accuracy of the medication. So there is no smooth ride and there is no way to taper. Methadone is incredibly strong and suboxone 2mg is 30mg of oxycodone. There is no taper solution available in the marketplace at this time for people who want absolutely no withdrawal symptoms of any kind.

A chemist would say "oh, solution. Put it into a suspension or a solution, use a large volume of liquid and then you can measure the 10% quite easy". Can't do that if the medication is not accurately dosed to begin with, from pill to pill you have absolutely no idea what the milligram is of that pill. Each FDA approved pill is allowed a +/- 20% variance. The solution even if made fresh every day with a single pill into solution, would be entirely inaccurate and inappropriately dosed just by the nature of production errors during pharmaceutical manufacturing.

We were a bit more woke on tapering in the early 1900's up until 1970. Its recently fallen out of favor, and you'd be hard pressed to receive the same standard of care that physically dependent pain patients recieved prior to 1970. You can find doctor accounts of Nazis being tapered off for the Nuremberg trials. They received a higher standard of care than you or I ever will if we are talking tapers.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you're going to taper, your best bet is to just do it yourself and never mention it to a doctor. As Jay said, it's difficult, but in reality you're be better off just slowly reducing your dose by using a pill cutter. Doctors typically taper people off WAY too fast (usually 30 days) yet you still experience withdrawals. Obviously, the symptoms aren't as bad, but you go through it for a much longer period of time. A proper taper (for a long-term user) should take 3-6 months with a tolerable, incremental reduction every 1-2 weeks. It's not uncommon for people to skip a reduction when symptoms start getting rough, but I wouldn't suggest skipping more than once. The process sucks no matter how you do it, but a slow taper is the least shitty for people who are genuinely committed. I was disgusted by the thought of continuing to take them and I just wanted to be rid of the shit...yesterday.

I don't think cold-turkey is the right way for most people because it can be life-threatening for people with underlying health issues (I'm pretty healthy outside of spinal injuries) and most people find that the process is debilitating for several days. However, if you're healthy, and have the time to isolate yourself from kids/work/school for a ~week, then I think that ripping the bandaid off is the way to go. It's an excruciating experience, but worth it to rid yourself of the problem asap. It does take a lot of willpower though. Like I said in the previous post, I had 100 or so tablets left over from my last prescription and I knew at any point I could take a couple and the agony I was experiencing would end.

I've done a lot of research about Methadone, Suboxone, etc and I'm really against them for reasons that I would need to write a book-sized post to justify. In simple terms, those drugs are 'supposed' to help people free themselves of Opiates, but the withdrawals from them are just as bad (and in many cases worse) than the drugs people were using in the first place. In many cases, people just end up spending many, many years (sometimes their entire lives) on them.

• 1Quality Calories

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, you've got to be really careful trying to taper these medications and it's going to require observation. I'm not saying that you can't do it yourself because you can do it yourself. Just be really careful, document yourself, and if possible don't do it without a second party observer.

The truth is most doctors don't do it because it is so involved, and they literally don't have the attention to spare to taper people off the pills they prescribe. There is probably going to be a specialty emerge for this exact situation.