Health Problems

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
My question is, what makes soda so especially toxic? If they added caffeine to orange juice, wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing? Fructose is fructose no matter if it comes from oranges or corn syrup.
The correct answer here is that fruit juice is probably just as bad as soda.

More people over-consume soda than fruit juice but the potential is certainly there.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
When I was a child we weren't allowed any soda in the house, but we did have access to unlimited fruit juice because at the time it was generally considered harmless. For years I would consume probably a gallon of apple juice a day and had horrible stomach pains that the docs wrote off as "stress/anxiety" over parental divorce. It was only once I got older (around 12 years old or so) when I started drinking less juice that the stomach problems finally went away. I'm convinced this childhood situation contributed to my current day diverticulitis diagnosis. A gallon a day of citric acid/fructose couldn't have done good things to my stomach.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
'betus inc.

Drinking just one eight-ounce glass of orange juice will wallop your system with 25 grams of fructose, which is more than you should have the entire day. Of course, many people, especially kids and teenagers, drink far more sugary fruit drinks in a day than that, and that's just what the beverage companies are banking on.

Fructose at 15 grams a day is harmless (unless you suffer from high uric acid levels). However, at nearly 10 times that amount it becomes a major cause of obesity and nearly all chronic degenerative diseases.

Was this like 1 gallon of Tropicana or SunnyD or the purple stuff way back then?

either way, 1 gallon is a shit ton of, everything
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Drinking just one eight-ounce glass of orange juice will wallop your system with 25 grams of fructose, which is more than you should have the entire day.
Fructose at 15 grams a day is harmless
lol? 10g of fructose is the tipping point?

Also, 25g of sugar per day is extremely draconian. Might as well give up eating hook yourself up to an IV and feeding tube.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
not 25g of sugar, but 25g of fructose (fruit sugar)

Also 1 glass of orange juice, doesn't sound bad, but it would take 5 oranges for 1 8oz glass, i mean can you really eat 5 oranges a day? let alone a gallon worth?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
'betus inc.

Drinking just one eight-ounce glass of orange juice will wallop your system with 25 grams of fructose, which is more than you should have the entire day. Of course, many people, especially kids and teenagers, drink far more sugary fruit drinks in a day than that, and that's just what the beverage companies are banking on.

Fructose at 15 grams a day is harmless (unless you suffer from high uric acid levels). However, at nearly 10 times that amount it becomes a major cause of obesity and nearly all chronic degenerative diseases.

Was this like 1 gallon of Tropicana or SunnyD or the purple stuff way back then?

either way, 1 gallon is a shit ton of, everything
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
It was Oasis brand apple juice, so not sugar water but not fresh squeezed either.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
not 25g of sugar, but 25g of fructose (fruit sugar)

Also 1 glass of orange juice, doesn't sound bad, but it would take 5 oranges for 1 8oz glass, i mean can you really eat 5 oranges a day? let alone a gallon worth?
Still draconian, just not as much. That's two peaches, they don't have much fiber. I'm sure I could find many other example of low fiber fruit that would easily break your limit.

And you ignored my other point. I think you're just making up shit if 15g is harmless and 25g is going to kill you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To be fair he said 150g would kill you, and that no one should have more than 25g a day. He didn't provide a source or clear reason why 25g was the max allowed.]

As far as we know right now 25-150g is a death zone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
why would i make up shit? just quoting stuff in articles, i'll see if i can find the sources on phone. Still it stands to reason now, 1 gallon of anything non water a day will kill you, or really fuck you up.

iannis

Musty Nester
Now I bet someone reading this right now could chug a gallon of milk and be just fine.

Just. Fine

I'll bet all my nets. You have to post pics though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
why would i make up shit? just quoting stuff in articles, i'll see if i can find the sources on phone. Still it stands to reason now, 1 gallon of anything non water a day will kill you, or really fuck you up.
I'm not saying you are, but Deathwing is anal retentive about figures and documents.

If you could prepare a white paper on this by the morning we'd all feel much better. Maybe a powerpoint presentation.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Shrug, people get too caught up with dumb shit and lose focus.

You can eat a healthy variety of proteins/fats with 80 percent of your caloric allotment. For my activity level, height, and weight, my caloric allotment to maintain my body weight is 2700 calories. Follow the 80/20 rule -- 20 percent of 2.7k is 540. The question is, can I fulfill my protein/fat/micronutrient requirements in 2160 calories? Yes.

If I want to eat pure cane sugar for my discretionary calories then I can and I'll be fine (I'd want to brush my teeth immediately afterwards since that's like a buzzsaw for your teeth). That'd be 3/4th of a cup of sugar, or, roughly 540 calories.

The problem Americans are running into is that MOST of them don't have 540 discretionary calories, they have substantially less... and one 20oz bottle of Mountain Dew is 290 calories. Most people don't "allow" themselves a 20 oz mountain dew knowing that its their one freedom for the day... they're guzzling down MORE than 20 oz of soda AND eating desert or other shit foods with no value. So instead of getting 80 percent good food, 20 percent "who cares"... its skewed way off balance and lacks all moderation.

This is why people are fat and weak and dying young.

EDIT:

35yr 5'10 175lb sedentary man has 420 discretionary calories.
35yr 5'6 145lb sedentary woman has 320 discretionary calories.

Go ahead and work soda into that budget and tell me if you don't see a problem.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Shrug, people get too caught up with dumb shit and lose focus.

You can eat a healthy variety of proteins/fats with 80 percent of your caloric allotment. For my activity level, height, and weight, my caloric allotment to maintain my body weight is 2700 calories. Follow the 80/20 rule -- 20 percent of 2.7k is 540. The question is, can I fulfill my protein/fat/micronutrient requirements in 2160 calories? Yes.

If I want to eat pure cane sugar for my discretionary calories then I can and I'll be fine (I'd want to brush my teeth immediately afterwards since that's like a buzzsaw for your teeth). That'd be 3/4th of a cup of sugar, or, roughly 540 calories.

The problem Americans are running into is that MOST of them don't have 540 discretionary calories, they have substantially less... and one 20oz bottle of Mountain Dew is 290 calories. Most people don't "allow" themselves a 20 oz mountain dew knowing that its their one freedom for the day... they're guzzling down MORE than 20 oz of soda AND eating desert or other shit foods with no value. So instead of getting 80 percent good food, 20 percent "who cares"... its skewed way off balance and lacks all moderation.

This is why people are fat and weak and dying young.

EDIT:

35yr 5'10 175lb sedentary man has 420 discretionary calories.
35yr 5'6 145lb sedentary woman has 320 discretionary calories.

Go ahead and work soda into that budget and tell me if you don't see a problem.
Yeah, this is wrong. 500 calories of pure sugar all at once isn't healthy even if that's the only carbs you consume in a day.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also carbs aren't inherently unhealthy-it's not really necessary to limit carbs to only 20% of caloric intake. You can and should eat lots of carbs after exercise. In a post-exercise state carbs promote recovery without having negative effects such as spiking blood sugar.