Health Problems

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wife had gestational diabetes for both pregnancies, so she has her blood test kit around. Been peeing a lot lot more, especially at night, and I'm 6'6 , 335lbs (high of 355 not so long ago), and both Dad and Uncle have "da 'betus". I suspected, but finally tested my blood sugar this morning with the wife's test kit.

Fasting blood sugar after waking up... 225. 1 hour after eating breakfast 266.

This sucks. Guess this is the kick in the ass I need to get healthier?

iannis

Musty Nester
Probably.

Even though I live in mortal terror of it personally it's really not as bad as I make it out to be. It's a completely manageable condition and, really, low impact. You just aren't allowed to be lazy about food.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Wife had gestational diabetes for both pregnancies, so she has her blood test kit around. Been peeing a lot lot more, especially at night, and I'm 6'6 , 335lbs (high of 355 not so long ago), and both Dad and Uncle have "da 'betus". I suspected, but finally tested my blood sugar this morning with the wife's test kit.

Fasting blood sugar after waking up... 225. 1 hour after eating breakfast 266.

Yep. Time to go see your PCP so they can start you on a regimen of insulin. They'll probably put you on a long acting for sleepy time and fast acting in the meals.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Why would they put him on insulin?

They'll end up testing your fasting blood sugar twice to confirm diabetes and then do some blood work to check your A1C, cholesterol, etc. From there they'll probably put you on something to lower your glucose and maybe a statin for cholesterol. The name of my prescription is escaping my mind right now, it's common though.

What I was told, the threshhold is >200 twice is a confirmation of the betes. At 225-266 you're at what I was at when diagnosed. Certainly nothing absurd.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Of course they'll test his blood sugar for baseline, including HA1C. The likelihood of them not putting him on insulin eventually sounds more absurd to me. :p

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Why would they put him on insulin?

They'll end up testing your fasting blood sugar twice to confirm diabetes and then do some blood work to check your A1C, cholesterol, etc. From there they'll probably put you on something to lower your glucose and maybe a statin for cholesterol. The name of my prescription is escaping my mind right now, it's common though.

What I was told, the threshhold is >200 twice is a confirmation of the betes. At 225-266 you're at what I was at when diagnosed. Certainly nothing absurd.
Metformin, cheap and well documented. SU's, GLP-1 analogues, DPP IV inhibitors. Lots to try before insulin for T2 diabetes. No reason to go the insulin route if Hb1Ac gets under 7-8 mmol/l.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
We have some promising local research, interval training in t2 diabetes patients. It was a small RCT, part of a larger national diabetes research, shows improvement in insulin sensitivity, acute and 4mo fo. The guy is writing a phd on it, and looks like it will be national recommendation. Maybe you nerds want to have a go at the science?

https://dd2.nu/media/5950/140814_Mec...ed%20trial.pdf

https://dd2.nu/media/5984/Kristian%2...20abstract.pdf

The acute effects of interval- vs co... [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

Videnskabelige publikationer | DD2

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Metformin, cheap and well documented. SU's, GLP-1 analogues, DPP IV inhibitors. Lots to try before insulin for T2 diabetes. No reason to go the insulin route if Hb1Ac gets under 7-8 mmol/l.
Yeah Metformin is what I take.. I couldn't remember the name

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
No, that was years ago. 6'6 335 with diabetic complications is morbid obesity. Statistically, if you were going to "get healthier" you would have done it before you ate yourself into this risk demographic.

If you gave a damn, you'd start logging your food meticulously starting NOW. Your TDEE is 3000 if you're sedentary; start eating 1750-2000 calories a day. You're so fat you can lose over 2lbs a week without any issues. Eating 2k calories a day will have you losing 2lbs a week. Consider yourself a drug addict and think long and hard about if you want to survive the next ten years.

I'm not a doctor -- talk all this over with your doc before doing anything. PM me if you want more fine-tuned advice or someone to correspond with. You will die young if you don't get on this now; you already blew out your bodies hormonal regulation... next stop is amputations and blindness.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So I had planned to wait until January to do more chemo but thinking about it with my wife expecting the baby in April I think it'd be wiser for me to start sooner and end sooner. I'd like to be full strength so to speak for the Big Day when it comes. Phone calls will be made this week to get the ball rolling.

And just in general, I know I'm not speaking for myself when I say Thank You everyone. This thread and discussions in other related threads have been very helpful.

Crone

No, that was years ago. 6'6 335 with diabetic complications is morbid obesity. Statistically, if you were going to "get healthier" you would have done it before you ate yourself into this risk demographic.

If you gave a damn, you'd start logging your food meticulously starting NOW. Your TDEE is 3000 if you're sedentary; start eating 1750-2000 calories a day. You're so fat you can lose over 2lbs a week without any issues. Eating 2k calories a day will have you losing 2lbs a week. Consider yourself a drug addict and think long and hard about if you want to survive the next ten years.

I'm not a doctor -- talk all this over with your doc before doing anything. PM me if you want more fine-tuned advice or someone to correspond with. You will die young if you don't get on this now; you already blew out your bodies hormonal regulation... next stop is amputations and blindness.
Well that's pretty dooms day, but I suppose it's true. I suppose some fear death so much, that something so doom and gloom like that would work.

Just moved from Arizona to Washington, got settled, and into the doc to get my A1C levels checked, and I'm at 11.5. On Metformin, and a blood pressure med, as that's a little high at 150/90. I'm fully confident that weight loss will correct both of my situations. Have had high BP before, and was fine when I got into better shape, not even really weight loss, just much much better shape.

Have another appointment in 3 weeks to see how everything's going. So the process starts of getting this all fixed, so I don't have to be on meds... Pretty lame. Want to buy a pill that gives will power and a give a fuck. lol (bad attempt at making light of my very serious situation)

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Well that's pretty dooms day, but I suppose it's true. I suppose some fear death so much, that something so doom and gloom like that would work.

Just moved from Arizona to Washington, got settled, and into the doc to get my A1C levels checked, and I'm at 11.5. On Metformin, and a blood pressure med, as that's a little high at 150/90. I'm fully confident that weight loss will correct both of my situations. Have had high BP before, and was fine when I got into better shape, not even really weight loss, just much much better shape.

Have another appointment in 3 weeks to see how everything's going. So the process starts of getting this all fixed, so I don't have to be on meds... Pretty lame. Want to buy a pill that gives will power and a give a fuck. lol (bad attempt at making light of my very serious situation)
Good luck man. Get your wife on board. Being responsible to my wife is what keeps me from eating all the bacon egg and cheese biscuits or skipping the gym.

EDIT: It isn't doomsday. We, as a society, don't like to discuss mortality because it makes us feel vulnerable. But now that you have a vested interest, go read about how people with Type 2 die. It takes years and it sucks -- they lose their extremities and their organs as they become more and more useless. They put their loved ones through terrible pain, and for a lot of these disgusting pieces of shit, all they need to do is stop fucking eating. Society needs to recognize that is food as addictive as opiates for some people and treat it accordingly.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord

Sounds similar to me. Dropping a bit of weight, and getting some exercise, especially something that raises your heartrate 3 times a week will help a lot. Dropping weight is mostly a bit of calorie counting, so you can see where your calories are coming from and substitute stuff out. I like to eat a lot, so I do low-calorie vegetables and such (celery, green beans, turnips, broccoli and such, with the occasional dip into higher cal ones like corn and peas, and use more water in my rice so I get more bulk without more calories. Just read labels for a while to get cal counts till you can construct a menu that you can enjoy thats in the right range. Not feeling stressed about it is key to maintaining a new eating pattern in the long term. For exercise I walk a mile every day and do 15 minutes of modest weights (heaviest is 35 pounds) 3 times a week. I usually combine the walk with my grocery shopping since I live a block from one end of North Vancouvers' high street, so I can get everything I need within that range, except for pork which I have to go a block and a half extra each way, oh the horror. Its pretty minimal.

Its just 4 handweights I use (2 15's, a 25, and a 35), and I just keep 'em on a bookshelf near the front door near a clear spot where I can also do some pushups/situps. They take basically no room, and it means I can do my thing with them on the spur of the moment with no planning or prep. No getting organised to go to a gym or buying a membership or any of that, just "Oh, right, I need to do my weights, I have 15 minutes, pick one up and go." You can get weights cheap cheap cheap at many garage sales if you dont want to buy new. (Just under 100 bucks total at walmart for new for the 4 I use, forinstance.)

Crone

Vancouver Washington or BC?

And I have a gym membership, and should start using it more. Especially since I have some 80 personal training sessions paid for on my account. Start scheduling those and I'll be even better off.

Appreciate the words Eidal. I completely agree that food is addictive and I'm addicted. Love it so much. Wish there was a way to turn that off or break the addiction and just want to eat to live.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Vancouver BC. Well, North Vancouver, but close enough. We're what will be left after those southern flatlanders are washed away by the righteous fury of god in the next earthquake/tsunami. :p (Assuming North Vancouver doesnt just slide down the hillside into the water too, of course... :p )

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a pain in the ass health problem. I got a boil (I think) on my butt cheek. It feels like my ass is on fire everyday. Hoping it is poppable tomorrow (I can see a whitehead forming today).

This is the worst, I wouldn't wish this upon anyone.