Health Problems

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'd be concerned but not worried.

I was gonna make that joke about your honeymoon. Glad the er doc did instead. What an asshole.

Some "honeymoon". We've lived together for right at 20 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My local pharmacy was letting me refill my pain meds every 23 days, but they shut down out of nowhere without any warning, even to their employees (the head pharmacist is going to work for the Meijer being built in town, I think maybe he had an NDA). And they happened to shut down on my refill date. They transferred everything to Walgreens, but Walgreens has a 27 day policy since they're 50-state compliant, and my other pharmacy just followed local laws. As a result, I've been unable to fill my prescription. Was able to ration out what I had left for the first couple days, but now I'm on hour 36 after may last dose and...

My mom ran into that bullshit when it was first introduced. She’d had no problem getting refills at 23~ days for years, then suddenly the (new) pharmacist, following the new policy, went back and counted every extra day between 23 and 27 days. My mom got to go 15 days past the refill date because “that’s how many pills she should have.”

I did manage to get that cunt fired, at least.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
"how many pills I SHOULD have is between me and my oncologist, thank you." ('You lowly fucking pharmacy tech,' I wanted to add, lol)

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean that's shitty, but the law is the law, and I don't completely blame a pharmacists (or their tech following instructions) for doing it. Pharmacists can go to jail for making a habit of that.

It should be VERY easily solved by a call from the doctors office though, at worst.

It's funny, my mom had the opposite thing. Doctor put her on a diurectic that she takes sometimes, and the pharmacy refilled her. She went to the doctor and the doctor wrote her another rx for it... which had already been refilled. Doctor raised an eyebrow at that one.

They really shouldn't have done that. Oops! But it's just a peepill.

Borzak

My tramadol is 30 day prescription, 2 pills a day. Recently it changed to 29 days from the phramacy or something like that. I guess it was a new law. Didn't matter to me I have a giant bottle of ones I never took. It says "as needed" and I didn't need it that day. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Just like with sildenafil, you have to have your MD request, "Take one or two pills every 4-6 hours as needed for pain not to exceed x amount/day," if you do this, you will get your full quantity.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Just like with sildenafil, you have to have your MD request, "Take one or two pills every 4-6 hours as needed for pain not to exceed x amount/day," if you do this, you will get your full quantity.
Wait, we can't write - oogaa-boogaa-oogaa-boogaa? For real, that shit is 1.sem stuff :D

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
My local pharmacy was letting me refill my pain meds every 23 days, but they shut down out of nowhere without any warning, even to their employees (the head pharmacist is going to work for the Meijer being built in town, I think maybe he had an NDA). And they happened to shut down on my refill date. They transferred everything to Walgreens, but Walgreens has a 27 day policy since they're 50-state compliant, and my other pharmacy just followed local laws. As a result, I've been unable to fill my prescription. Was able to ration out what I had left for the first couple days, but now I'm on hour 36 after may last dose and...

Opiate withdrawals suck but they're not worse than chemo. Addicts are a bunch of pussies.

I can get my refill tomorrow morning, I might say fuck it and just ride out the next week and quit cold turkey. Wouldn't that be something off a 8x30mg/day oxy + 3x20mg methadone "intractable chronic pain cancer patient" dose. My doctor was thinking I've been experiencing hyperalgesia, maybe she was right

P.s. I'm cheating tho since I'm in a medical marijuana state, got a lot of RSO and distillate to vape to get me through. So far my pain isn't too bad, it's the cold sweats and the constantly moving bowel that are the issues haha.

P.p.s. maybe I'm just hyping myself up, they say day 3 of withdrawals is the worst.
Fuck man back around 2003 I was popping 6-8 vicodin per day. I had needed it for a good 3 years straight but then just never got off them until my doctor finally brought up my frequent refills. It was absolute hell to get off them. It is exactly what I'd wish on my worse enemy. lol

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Wait, we can't write - oogaa-boogaa-oogaa-boogaa? For real, that shit is 1.sem stuff :D

I'm reasonably sure that's what half of the docs are writing any time they issue a paper scrip to a patient in doctorchickenscratchese.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I mean that's shitty, but the law is the law, and I don't completely blame a pharmacists (or their tech following instructions) for doing it. Pharmacists can go to jail for making a habit of that.

It should be VERY easily solved by a call from the doctors office though, at worst.

Nah, that's the thing, it ISN'T the law here, but Walgreens has their own policies above and beyond the law. And a call from my doctor didn't do anything, she tried.

• 2Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Walgreens engineered their “Good Faith Dispensing Policy” in a way that gives their pharmacists carte blanche to decline to fill prescriptions, or delay refills, with no real oversight or recourse. Getting a prescription rewritten because the pharmacist just didn’t like the cut of your jib on some random day is enough for that same pharmacist to decline the rewritten prescription, per “Good Faith.”

This particular problem pharmacist hadn’t figured that I work for the guy that owns all of the properties that Walgreens leases in my city, and our cardiologist happens to be my bosses neighbor. Sucked to be her. 🤣

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Mother has an aneurysm on her heart or whatever (something aortic aneurysm). They measured it at 4.0mm(or is it cm?) And never told her until now when it increased to 4.2. They're meeting her to discuss surgery. I'm a bit not sure about this stuff - what's the seriousness of this out of 10? How dangerous is the surgery ?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Last I checked, surgical correction for an aortic aneurysm is not until >5cm or otherwise symptomatic. However, depending on the location of it, I would be all for it. My hubby has a 4.2cm aneurysm in his arch of valsava which is a Stanford type A. Terrifying.

In regards to your question: Blood pressure control is really the big thing here. If it dissects and if it's a type A, you are looking anywhere from a minute to about 3 hours to live unless you get to an OR. I actually had a patient with a type A dissection all the way down to the iliac. I am shocked he was not symptomatic AND he lived enroute to the OR!

• 1Mother of God

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
glucose 260, a1c 10%. You guys w/ diabetus have favorite app(s) or anything? Go Thursday for followup / treatment options.

3 months later, glucose 97, a1c 5.6% and down 35 lbs. Adulting so hard. Go back next week to discuss results!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Mother has an aneurysm on her heart or whatever (something aortic aneurysm). They measured it at 4.0mm(or is it cm?) And never told her until now when it increased to 4.2. They're meeting her to discuss surgery. I'm a bit not sure about this stuff - what's the seriousness of this out of 10? How dangerous is the surgery ?

Surgery is dangerous (falls into the "high-risk" group of surgeries in the insurance world, so we usually give docs carte blanche to get whatever preop testing they want done), not treating it is also dangerous.

Like Kuriin said, BP control is important.

If she smokes, she needs to stop.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last I checked, surgical correction for an aortic aneurysm is not until >5cm or otherwise symptomatic. However, depending on the location of it, I would be all for it. My hubby has a 4.2cm aneurysm in his arch of valsava which is a Stanford type A. Terrifying.

In regards to your question: Blood pressure control is really the big thing here. If it dissects and if it's a type A, you are looking anywhere from a minute to about 3 hours to live unless you get to an OR. I actually had a patient with a type A dissection all the way down to the iliac. I am shocked he was not symptomatic AND he lived enroute to the OR!
Yeah they told her usually they wait until 5 but it suddenly started growing/increasing in size rapidly so she needs to meet anyways.

She did quit smoking I guess... After 50 years

Borzak

Went to the doctor this morning. The fatigue has gotten incrediably worse. Like I worry if the house caught on fire I'd be too tired to even make it out. He suggested Adderall. Any experience? Especially adults. I know it's got problem with kids which is I think most they prescribe it for.

According to the doctor it helps fatigue and cognitive fog. That's one of the issues I have and reason I rarely drive. Just wondering if anyone had problem with it in adults.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Went to the doctor this morning. The fatigue has gotten incrediably worse. Like I worry if the house caught on fire I'd be too tired to even make it out. He suggested Adderall. Any experience? Especially adults. I know it's got problem with kids which is I think most they prescribe it for.

According to the doctor it helps fatigue and cognitive fog. That's one of the issues I have and reason I rarely drive. Just wondering if anyone had problem with it in adults.

Free speed? Go for it. I don’t have ADHD or whatever but when my friend who does is in town I raid his supply. It’s a nice buzz with a boost of energy.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse

Huh. Did they check your thyroid?

iannis

Musty Nester
Try adderall. It won't hurt you. If you don't like it you can just stop taking it without negative side effects.

It might help. Worst case you're out a little bit of cash. Probably not even that much cash.

I don't take it personally, but that's just because I know exactly what sort of addictive personality I have not because I don't think it would do me any good. A loooooooot of people do take it. It's not a moral failing or anything like that.

Last edited: