Health Problems

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You're probably going to get an esophagogastroduodenoscopy with the colonoscopy. If the 4 day treatment work, I recommend taking it for 2-3 months and see how you do. Omeprazole or Protonix both work (just get the delayed release).

iannis

Musty Nester
Been having a lot of stomach problems. Went to the doctor, did some tests. I came back anemic. Doctor suggested maybe I'm allergic to gluten. So I don't eat bread for awhile. I don't feel worse but I also don't feel better. I don't have as many stomach problems but it's mainly because I just stop eating. I've lost 95lbs in 6 months. Doctor is not happy with this. I get a endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday.

Endoscopy looks fine, nothing wrong. Colonoscopy not so good, apparently I have a mass so large in my guts that the camera can't get past. I'm scared out of my fucking mind and I get all weekend to dwell on it. Doctor is doing a biopsy on it and is scheduling a CT scan. Like holy fuck I'm 33, no one in my family has had cancer that I know of. Granted most of my family checks out around the age of 60 due to heart problems or they get shot. So i'm here on RR trying not to flip the fuck out because when I try to talk to my girlfriend about it all I get is "stay positive." Seriously what kind of bullshit advice is that? Stay positive, what the fuck is that going to accomplish? I should smile while they core me out like a fucking apple?

Sorry I'm rambling but I'm freaking out. There is literally no one in my life that has had to deal with this so I come to Rerolled to cry like a bitch. Wow, that sounds even more depressing when its typed out.
Yeah, stay positive is shitty advice. It's bad advice because it's too short. Two words can't encompass what "stay positive" means.

A month ago you had these problems. You had that growth in your gut. But you weren't freaking the fuck out. What has changed between now and then? You have a name to put to your fear.

But with that name comes a treatment plan. That's what stay positive means. It doesn't mean blissful ignorance, it doesn't mean don't worry. It means you ain't dead till you're dead, and that all the good things didn't disappear just because you are currently preoccupied with this one bad thing.

And it is big bad news. Your reaction is entirely sane and proper. 33, colon cancer (maybe)... your prognosis actually should be quite good.

Not as good as if you didn't have it... but you know. Stay positive.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry to hear all that jx3. Never had anything like that happen to me so I can't even begin to understand what it's like. I can't offer much but if you need anything let us know. If you need tanoomba or a_skeleton_03 banned just give me the word

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Doctor called me and told me that from the sample he took from the mass that its showing signs of having dysplasia. Using the magic of google-fu and asking him questions it seems I know exactly as much as I did when I first heard about this. I might have cancer, I might not. What the fuck over.

CT scan is tomorrow, fun times. Also had a job interview come up for the same time as my appointment so I had to reschedule that. That always looks good, rescheduling an interview for a job I really want. Oh well. Fun times.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
The stay positive bit always bugged me. But it is actually quite true, if you let yourself think what if all the time then you fuck yourself over. At least if you stay positive and are wrong and you die, you get to avoid saying "my bad".

While I was waiting the two months for my heart surgery last year I stayed positive, it certainly helped. Of course my Mom tore into me due to "not taking it seriously" but sometimes you can't win. Easiest thing to do is be aware you might not live, so do the things you want to do now, and hope that fucking up on those won't kill you. (Yeah great fucking advice self, you bought a stupid fucking mountain bike and get too winded to ride it, dumbass.) I should have gone the vegas trip and hookers and coke in the hot tub, but maybe next time!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Doctor called me and told me that from the sample he took from the mass that its showing signs of having dysplasia. Using the magic of google-fu and asking him questions it seems I know exactly as much as I did when I first heard about this. I might have cancer, I might not. What the fuck over.

CT scan is tomorrow, fun times. Also had a job interview come up for the same time as my appointment so I had to reschedule that. That always looks good, rescheduling an interview for a job I really want. Oh well. Fun times.
I cancelled a job during my cancer diagnosis and explained it to them and they made it work and hired me (probably out of pity).

iannis

Musty Nester

Cancer comes in shades of grey. I won't say that's good news but it's not the worst news you could have gotten either.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Already screwed up my colonoscopy instructions. It's scheduled for Thursday. Figured I would look at the instructions since I know I have to start the stuff a day or two before. Apparently no corn for 7 days before. Well tough shit I guess. Today was the 4th, eat 3 big ears of corn on the cob as usual lol.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'm going to have to get a colonoscopy soon. will be my first one. somehow the concept is more daunting than all the other shit i've been through this year (having my left testicle surgically removed, chemo, etc.) lol

Borzak

Doing the one down the throat to the stomach at the same time. I've had that done before. It was no big deal at all. For that one the didn't even really put me all the way out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Already screwed up my colonoscopy instructions. It's scheduled for Thursday. Figured I would look at the instructions since I know I have to start the stuff a day or two before. Apparently no corn for 7 days before. Well tough shit I guess. Today was the 4th, eat 3 big ears of corn on the cob as usual lol.
Maybe because I don't live in the south, but I guess if I knew I would be having a colonoscopy I would probably avoid corn anyways. It always comes out exactly as it went in, don't need to see no corn on the video.

Borzak

Had my colonoscopy and endoscpy or whatever it's called yesterday. That was depressing.

Nurse came in and said he my name is soandso. I asked if she had any relation to someone else I know with the same last name. "Yeah that's my mom". Was a girl I dated 25ish years ago. Depressing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had my colonoscopy and endoscpy or whatever it's called yesterday. That was depressing.

Nurse came in and said he my name is soandso. I asked if she had any relation to someone else I know with the same last name. "Yeah that's my mom". Was a girl I dated 25ish years ago. Depressing.
The fact that your story ended without you going on a date with the nurse is the real depressing part.

Borzak

She just called to check on me......or so she says.

If I could go on a date I wouldn't have been having all that to begin with.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorta posted this in the weight loss thread, but might as well post the full story here.

If you remember I was an idiot and didn't medicate for diabetes for many years. I'm stupid.

Doctors finally got me on meds and they did help (350 fasting to 150-200). Not really ideal, but better at least.

Over the past 6 months we've been trying various meds. Immediately upon starting my new meds my weight went up, first from 225 to 240, and now to 250. This is with no real change in diet, although I have been eating much healthier. No real lifestyle change either.

My doctor today prescribed Januvia - this will complement my Metformin and Glimepiride.

I fucked up bigtime boys. He said this is basically the last resort before insulin. So essentially I have to take it pretty seriously, lose a lot of weight, cut out all the carbs, and generally resign myself to a life of health. Only if that works will I be ok.

Just feeling pretty depressed about it all. I always looked at Insulin as one of those situations where you're basically a dead man walking. Sigh.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So update.
I gotta go in Tuesday for a rectal ultrasound. Something about staging. Something about radiation and chemo. I kinda blanked out when he said cancer. It's weird, I'm the first in my family in like 3 generations to even have cancer. Most of my family dies from heart attacks or getting shot. Hooray for first?