Health Problems

Jx3

Riddle me this...
33, doctor also said I had scarring on my lungs which is common for people who live around here. Might want to get that checked out Big P.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So update.
I gotta go in Tuesday for a rectal ultrasound. Something about staging. Something about radiation and chemo. I kinda blanked out when he said cancer. It's weird, I'm the first in my family in like 3 generations to even have cancer. Most of my family dies from heart attacks or getting shot. Hooray for first?
hey, we'll both be getting cancer scans on tuesday. i'll be getting a PET scan to see how my radiation treatment is coming along.

i'm still actively fighting testicular cancer that spread to my lymph system.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You know what I don't understand. Are these incidents where people get the wrong limb removed, or get something taken out they weren't supposed to. Everytime I deal with the hospital multiple nurses, the doctors, anesthesiologist etc...all get in agreement with the patient about what they are fixing to do. I just don't see it, unless your out of it and the ones I read about aren't ER type stuff.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
There are some really shitty doctors, hospitals and staff out there. You'd be amazed sometimes what doctors and staff can do to patients or miss about their patients. Scary sometimes.

Even the good ones can get cocky or sure of themselves to the point where basic checks get half assed or ignored.

Borzak

Sorta posted this in the weight loss thread, but might as well post the full story here.

If you remember I was an idiot and didn't medicate for diabetes for many years. I'm stupid.

Doctors finally got me on meds and they did help (350 fasting to 150-200). Not really ideal, but better at least.

Over the past 6 months we've been trying various meds. Immediately upon starting my new meds my weight went up, first from 225 to 240, and now to 250. This is with no real change in diet, although I have been eating much healthier. No real lifestyle change either.

My doctor today prescribed Januvia - this will complement my Metformin and Glimepiride.

I fucked up bigtime boys. He said this is basically the last resort before insulin. So essentially I have to take it pretty seriously, lose a lot of weight, cut out all the carbs, and generally resign myself to a life of health. Only if that works will I be ok.

Just feeling pretty depressed about it all. I always looked at Insulin as one of those situations where you're basically a dead man walking. Sigh.
Damn dude I would take insulin. I know if my blood sugar gets that high for any period of time like an infection or someting I feel like absolute shit. I can't imagine having it that high for a long time.

Insulin isn't that bad. Done it for 40 years. It would be that in my opinion.

Borzak

It's not that bad if you keep a somewhat regular schedule. That has been the only real drawback for me. Up at odd hours, work a few days straight and then sleep a day or two. Screws it up.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Why not lose weight and exercise, aka make your depots able to cope with your glucose uptake?

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah I mean if I have to take it I will. I'm trying to avoid it for as long as I can.
I get the hesitation, but don't be phobic about it. I have to imagine that once you cross that bridge you'll really wonder what took you so long. The anticipation is always worse.

Beetus sucks. But hassle wise I've heard often that it's on par with having to shave your face.

Borzak

I find shaving more of a hassle, which is why I have a beard lol. After a while you don't even think about it. Check sugar in the morning and giving a shot takes less than a minute and you're done for the day unless you take 2 shots a day and you may not start off at 2. I didn't take 2 shots a day until just recently having been a diabetic for 40 years. Gtting your blood sugar will make you feel a lot better, especially with no major swings.

When I got to the doctor now and they ask what medication I'm on I forget to even mention insulin and have to be reminded. Not that expensive either. You can get the off brand insulin that works 99% as well at walmart for $24.88 a bottle and taking a low dose a bottle will last a month, 2-3 weeks if you take more.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Noodle, bro, you don't want to be one of our patients who gets a toe, foot, or worse, a below-the-knee amputation because you thought following your glucose regimen was a hassle. One of our patients is on a wound vac for his foot. Stupid noncompliant patient also walked on it day 1 post amputation (multiple toes) and the dressing was completely saturated!

Borzak

Yeah the thing with 2 type is if it's high it stays high. Semi related but went to a Dr. and he said look all this stuff on your legs is from diabetes. Lol. I had weed eated without pants on and the thing threw up all kinds of crap and I had a 1,000 little cuts from it. Too lazy to go put pants on.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodle, bro, you don't want to be one of our patients who gets a toe, foot, or worse, a below-the-knee amputation because you thought following your glucose regimen was a hassle. One of our patients is on a wound vac for his foot. Stupid noncompliant patient also walked on it day 1 post amputation (multiple toes) and the dressing was completely saturated!
Like I said, if it comes down to it I'm going to do it obviously. But while I still have the chance I'm going to make the lifestyle change and see what happens. I'm still on meds, so I am compliant right now. Thankfully no issues with limbs yet.

I am worried about my father though, very stubborn man. He claims his sugar is 'in the 80s' but it's not backed up by what he eats and what little exercise he does. My sister told me the doctor's told him he had to be on insulin, so he said fuck them and started ordering his medicine online. I remember a few months ago he told me he had some issue where his leg kept going numb (said it was from work). I'm pretty sure he's going to end up needing amputation at some point, but he's probably the type you'd consider non-compliant and won't listen to anyone.

Borzak

Problems with limbs is not something you wake up one day and say Hmm problem. High blood sugar kills you over time, low blood sugar kills your instantly. Years or decades even but it adds up, no telling how long you had a problem before it was diagnosed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know how long I had it before being diagnosed, maybe a couple years. I've been on meds since, however I stopped taking them for awhile because I'm an idiot.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So had my rectal ultrasound, that went ok I suppose. Doctor says I'm stage 3, not so good. I go in next week, surgery for my port for chemo. Everything just seems like a giant pile of suck ass.