Health Problems

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That's basically all of Michigan with as many cheeseburgers he eats, isn't it?
HAHAHAHA

That Ice Burn gonna make me donate, LOL

Also, I know I have no room to talk when it comes to eating, but this pic mystifies me

eipRJIU.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Wrath

Molten Core Raider
I can see asking in the ER but every time I go in to the doctor they ask.
They added pain as a vital sign in the 90's and I think now health insurance requires a pain number on medical documentation for any visit. In school, we've been required to ask each patient their pain score even though most doctors tell us it's pointless. A good provider will look at the overall story and context instead of some random scale.

Chronic insomnia sucks. I've been on Ambien, Trazodone, Mirtazapine, Xanax, Clonodine, and on and on. The only thing that helps a little is the Mirtazapine. I haven't tried are the old school barbituates but it's difficult to find a doctor that would actually prescribe one of them. Getting 4 hours of sleep over 3 days makes you want to blow your brains out.
What was the dose of Mirtazapine you were using? A little secret I learned was that the lower doses, 7.5 mg or 15 mg, typically has a more sedative effect instead of the anti-depressant dose of >30 mg. Mirtazapine seemed to work the best from my experience compared to ambien and trazodone , so you might want to give that a try. Other option you can talk to your doc about is doxepin, its a tri-cyclic anti-depressant but lower doses used for insomnia. However if you have a history of cardiac or seizure issues might want to steer clear.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Ya'll in Tuco Tuco 's hood, aren't ya?

We're relatively scattered really, tho when I travel for my chemo every other week I do end up fairly close to Ann Arbor (Farmington Hills).

Tuco is busy with that baby and everything tho

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Most of the patients who arrive in the ER point to 10. These patients are also on their phone and look comfortable. The pain scale absolutely does not work one bit except for certain cultures -- stoicism -- (Asian) as it is easily exploitable. People just want the D.
That they do. I've spoken to people who claim to be having 11/10 pain but sounded perfectly normal except for maybe a touch of desperation in their voice when they mentioned having something called in for them.

I've only had dilaudid once, when I was in the ER for appendicitis 6 years ago.That was probably #2 all time for pain. Got a chuckle out of the PA when I told him my pain level was about a 9.5, but my scale is logarithmic so there was plenty of room between 9.5 and 10. That stuff works nicely though.

I went in with a pain of 10 and laughing and smiling the entire time. I actually refused pain meds though. I had appendicitis and had been riding my motorcycle around with it for a couple days just getting worse and worse. They didn’t believe my pain scale of course until they took my BP and did my exam. Then they saw that I was also sweating a bit and realized that I was just bearing through it.

I can handle a fuckton of pain and know it is there and be able to function as if I was in no pain.

Later on when I got my first kidney stone I found out what a 10 really was as I was puking in the bushes out front of the ER and then passed out when they rushed me to a bed.

I absolutely hate morphine and throw up on it every time. Tylenol with codeine is the max I do. Vicodin and Oxy always get thrown out after the first day when they prescribe it. Well one time I left it on my porch ...

• 4Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
HAHAHAHA

That Ice Burn gonna make me donate, LOL

Also, I know I have no room to talk when it comes to eating, but this pic mystifies me

eipRJIU.jpg
This was in pittsburgh. I can't remember the restaurant but it was really good and I couldn't walk after I ate it all.

• 1Solidarity

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
What was the dose of Mirtazapine you were using? A little secret I learned was that the lower doses, 7.5 mg or 15 mg, typically has a more sedative effect instead of the anti-depressant dose of >30 mg. Mirtazapine seemed to work the best from my experience compared to ambien and trazodone , so you might want to give that a try. Other option you can talk to your doc about is doxepin, its a tri-cyclic anti-depressant but lower doses used for insomnia. However if you have a history of cardiac or seizure issues might want to steer clear.

Been on 30mg for about 2 years along with 300mg bupropion and .1mg clonidine. I have no history of cardiac or seizures, other than the insomnia i'm perfectly healthy. Im 5'8 around 135lb. My doctor says it's a combination of anxiety and there being something physically wrong with the sleep center in my brain. I've gone through 2 sleep studies and they still can't tell me exactly what the problem is. And i've been sleep deprived for so long that even when I do get lucky and get 8 hours I still feel utterly exhausted. I'll ask my doctor about the doxepin though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Most of the patients who arrive in the ER point to 10. These patients are also on their phone and look comfortable. The pain scale absolutely does not work one bit except for certain cultures -- stoicism -- (Asian) as it is easily exploitable. People just want the D.
yea, when my dad was fighting cancer, they'd come in every 6 hours and ask from 1 to 10, he'd say 6, then one time he said 7, finally i got close to the nurse (i just sat there for an entire day) and said "he's at a 9 now, he told me b4 he fell asleep).

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
so I wouldn't give myself a cold injury, LOL.

You laugh, but I've done that. I've had six knee surgeries (4 menisectomies and 2 meniscus repairs) and have used a variety of cold machines. The first time I used one of those recirculators I gave myself frostbite on my knee and had a disgusting amount of skin sloughing off for a week or three.

I used those cyclical movement machines for both my hip operations. Holy fuck those things are a pain in the ass. Nearly impossible to use any kind of normal computer interface because you're lying on your back and your knee knocks over any kind of tray every 10 seconds.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I absolutely hate morphine and throw up on it every time. Tylenol with codeine is the max I do. Vicodin and Oxy always get thrown out after the first day when they prescribe it. Well one time I left it on my porch ...

The first time they gave me the dilaudid, they mentioned I was getting something for nausea as well, zofran I think. Even with that it still made me queasy for a while. Thankfully they only needed to give it to me once more before I went in for the appendectomy. It worked well for the pain, but it's definitely something I'd rather not need to take again.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Chronic insomnia sucks. I've been on Ambien, Trazodone, Mirtazapine, Xanax, Clonodine, and on and on. The only thing that helps a little is the Mirtazapine. I haven't tried are the old school barbituates but it's difficult to find a doctor that would actually prescribe one of them. Getting 4 hours of sleep over 3 days makes you want to blow your brains out.

There's a reason why docs are hesitant to prescribe barbs. They're basically older, more unsafe cousins to benzos. Like benzos, they ruin your sleep architecture, so even though you are "asleep," your brain isn't going through its normal repair/recalibration process. As added "bonuses", tolerance to them sets in faster, and they generally have unpredictable kinetics and half-lives.

If you haven't gotten relief from Xanax and Klonopin, it's very unlikely that the barbs would do anything for you.

Last edited:

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The first time they gave me the dilaudid, they mentioned I was getting something for nausea as well, zofran I think. Even with that it still made me queasy for a while. Thankfully they only needed to give it to me once more before I went in for the appendectomy. It worked well for the pain, but it's definitely something I'd rather not need to take again.

I went to an EM conference back in November and this very article was discussed:

NEJM Journal Watch: Summaries of and commentary on original medical and scientific articles from key medical journals

Yes, it is fucking true. Holy hell, what an amazing "drug". lol.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The on-call surgeon ordered me to the ER last night suspecting a clot. It was a fucking nightmare. They had 50+ occupied beds and 20+ in the waiting room when we got there. I finally got a vascular ultrasound after four hours of wheelchair waiting room hell. No clots or arterial problems thankfully, just unrelenting intolerable pain. They gave me a Dilaudid IM injection, upped my Percocet, and sent me home with orders to follow-up Wednesday with my surgeon.

I’ve been on hold with the office for almost an hour now. Feelsbadman.jpg

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Last night must've been hell night for ERs. Stanford was particularly bad; multiple arrests, trauma 99s that had been upgraded from lower trauma, traumas in the hallway, patients waiting in the waiting room for 5+ hours with neutropenia from cancer.

• 1Solidarity