Health Problems

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
ahh ok so you probably pulled something. Pain management is for losers like me who have tried all the other things and are just too broken to fix. Looks like they would give you something mild to help ride it out at least. Hope you wake up in the morning and it's all gone!
My gym visit consisted of a whopping 30 minute bike session at a very mild pace. I'm hoping that I'm not gonna have to go do old people workout classes at the PT section of my hospital but it's looking like it might be in the cards if something that can barely even be called a workout was enough to send my back on a death spiral. As for the pain, between all the NSAIDS, muscle relaxers, lidocaine patches, and good old fashion tylenol, the original back pain seems to have resolved itself pretty quickly. The Pleuritis seems to be getting nice and comfortable though, the only treatment appears to be tylenol and day/nyquil and the recovery time is listed as "several days/weeks."

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Gavinmad Gavinmad I know this will sound crazy, but it is honestly worth a try. Try the carnivore diet for a month. The inflammation in your body will greatly reduce and likely alleviate much/most if not all your pain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
were you given an IV?
yes but I assume you mean a bag of fluids. After a couple minutes it was disconnected by the rad tech to wheel me off for the catscan and I was too out of it to realize it didn't get hooked back up when I brought back. When I tried my desperation 'can I at least swish and spit' ploy on the nurse she realized it hadn't been hooked back up and took care of it. I don't think a 55 gallon drum of IV fluids was gonna do anything for the incredible level of oral and nasal dehydration I had going on at that point, let alone one little bag.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
My gym visit consisted of a whopping 30 minute bike session at a very mild pace. I'm hoping that I'm not gonna have to go do old people workout classes at the PT section of my hospital but it's looking like it might be in the cards if something that can barely even be called a workout was enough to send my back on a death spiral. As for the pain, between all the NSAIDS, muscle relaxers, lidocaine patches, and good old fashion tylenol, the original back pain seems to have resolved itself pretty quickly. The Pleuritis seems to be getting nice and comfortable though, the only treatment appears to be tylenol and day/nyquil and the recovery time is listed as "several days/weeks."
I had to do old person pt after I had a surprise cardiac arrest (htcm undiagnosed). It's not that bad of you were in good shape beforehand. They'll move you on pretty fast.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Izo Izo so i know the body likes to bring the heat after you go to bed to try and help clear out whatever's ailing you but is it normal to feel like your head was stuck in a blast furnace? I could tell I was cooling off by the time I staggered my way over to the bathroom and grabbed a thermometer and it still said 104.4. I honestly wonder if I would have torched my brain if I hadn't interrupted the process because when I laid back down again after cooling off the exact same process started again but without quite as much intensity and it petered out well before I felt unsafe.

Still, 104.4 is definitely a new adult record.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Skip the bike and just start lifting. I fucked up my L4/L5 many years ago was in pretty much constant pain up until a couple years ago when I changed my mattress to something slightly softer than a concrete block.

But, buying a bench and some weights have all but eliminated all of my lumbar pain, and life is totally tolerable. Except I fucked up something in between my shoulder blades a week ago after I started doing meadows rows or some shit, but hey, at least it's variety on the back pain!

And I'm not even saying you gotta go outta your way and ego lift. Just lifting comically small weights with the right form at the start has great results. I'm never gonna bench 400 - mostly because I'm never gonna try because that's not the goal. Goal is just to stop being in pain every day. Totally worth the hour six days a week.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Skip the bike and just start lifting. I fucked up my L4/L5 many years ago was in pretty much constant pain up until a couple years ago when I changed my mattress to something slightly softer than a concrete block.

But, buying a bench and some weights have all but eliminated all of my lumbar pain, and life is totally tolerable. Except I fucked up something in between my shoulder blades a week ago after I started doing meadows rows or some shit, but hey, at least it's variety on the back pain!

And I'm not even saying you gotta go outta your way and ego lift. Just lifting comically small weights with the right form at the start has great results. I'm never gonna bench 400 - mostly because I'm never gonna try because that's not the goal. Goal is just to stop being in pain every day. Totally worth the hour six days a week.
Even my shitty little routine of body weight (or 25lb kettlebell) squats and arm/leg extensions have made a big difference in my lower back health.

1705270115358.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even my shitty little routine of body weight (or 25lb kettlebell) squats and arm/leg extensions have made a big difference in my lower back health.

View attachment 509265
About a month ago I started getting pain in "my" Left Abductor when my stance for squats / hack squats is wide. So Ive been doing a bunch of exercises for that, and I would say since doing them - I can tell a difference in just about everything I do. That includes lower back pain, but Ive noticed that my squat weight and other exercises with full body motion and range has ramped up significantly since starting them. Ive never taken anatomy, so Im just semi googling muscle names to give you an idea.

Only two abductor exercises Ive found that I feel the most return on that were prescribed by my Fitness Trainer (He gave me several, but I just dont feel much of anything on a lot of them). 1. Get one of the step ups and put it on its lowest height, and move it next to something that can keep you stable. Then take a light kettle bell, 20 pounds or something, and put your foot through that kettle bell, leaving it hanging, and then raise your knee up to your chest with it still on you foot 5 sets, at 10 reps a piece, minute rest between. 2. Get a 25 pound Plate, and a short resistance band. Wrap the resistance band around the lateralus (sides, above knees), hold the 25 pound plate out in front of you, push out with your legs, and go down a few inches every count to 10 until you're resting in the bottom of a squat pose. I do that the same amount of sets/reps/rest.

Rotator Cuff stuff not connected to back pain:
Im also experiencing some rotator cuff pain in my left shoulder and have started some exercises there. I think that is stemming from where Im benching too far up my chest, instead of above my sternum like I should be. But I feel a tinge when I do bench press and similar, and then dumbell shoulder raises are mildly painful if I go with the weight I was at before the pain. So Im trying to really force myself to bench lower down my chest, and Im doing shoulder raises at 10 pounds (was at 25's with good form. Keep in mind this is shoulder, not curls.) The exercises I was given to improve this seem very... lack luster. I think I just need to give it time to heal and perfect my form with bench press type exercises.

The abductor suggestions I think will help a lot if you add those to your routine. The Rotator Cuff stuff, Im just kind of testing the waters to see if anyone had similar experiences? I also do another warm up exercise that I learned way before I started going to the gym where you lay on your side, bring your bottom leg up half way to your chest, take the top arm and put your thumb on .. what I want to say is the dimple in your ass cheek and keep it there. Do side ways leg raises with your top leg 1 set at 20 reps. I believe the muscle I am building in this is called the Piriformis. Which is a small muscle like the muscles around the shoulder, but are integral nonetheless if you lead a sedentary lifestyle. When I started doing this warmup exercise on my own, I noticed that I didnt really have any issues with Sciatica or w/e anymore.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah Im almost certainly gonna cancel the gym membership, was just some part of me being a baby or snob or whatever the fuck. I think how awful this ordeal has been and still is being will give me the motivation to just start simple at home. Right now its like im on a roller coaster going in and out of an active volcano with how wild and unrelenting these fever fluctuations are being.

Izo Izo you fucking crusty perverted old leech I wasn't fishing for free medical advice, just inviting commentary on something weird.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yeah Im almost certainly gonna cancel the gym membership, was just some part of me being a baby or snob or whatever the fuck. I think how awful this ordeal has been and still is being will give me the motivation to just start simple at home. Right now its like im on a roller coaster going in and out of an active volcano with how wild and unrelenting these fever fluctuations are being.

Izo Izo you fucking crusty perverted old leech I wasn't fishing for free medical advice, just inviting commentary on something weird.
Sick Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons
Im Sorry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

This one's free: Have you tried a covid jab to the frontal cortex bilat?

40,2C, pleuritis and backpain, uhm, tylenol til the discomformt goes away. Fluctuating Tp can be anything from simple infection, pneumonia, discitis, abscess or just you not taking antipyretics regularly. I assume you see a GP, blood samples, follow the plan for antibiotics and pain relief. Temporally you should get better steadily.

Back exercise
Buy some kettle bells. 8Kg x2 to start with, then upgrade to man sized +16kg when you've got a rutine. Find a podcast.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sick Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons
Im Sorry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

This one's free: Have you tried a covid jab to the frontal cortex bilat?

40,2C, pleuritis and backpain, uhm, tylenol til the discomformt goes away. Fluctuating Tp can be anything from simple infection, pneumonia, discitis, abscess or just you not taking antipyretics regularly. I assume you see a GP, blood samples, follow the plan for antibiotics and pain relief. Temporally you should get better steadily.

Back exercise
Buy some kettle bells. 8Kg x2 to start with, then upgrade to man sized +16kg when you've got a rutine. Find a podcast.

I appreciate the effort, lkcovid jab jab and all.

Sadly the significance of some moderate temperature fluctuations fell off completely in the face of figuring out how to stop this fucking cough that came out of nowhere last night at bedtime, tortured me for a pretty relentless three hours to start off with and has been intermittent ever since. I'm sure you know why an otherwise innocuous cough would be so torturous, the fact that a ~2.5X dose of Dextromethorphan didn't even slow the cough down and treating Ricolas like hard candy barely affected an intermittent stalemate is an extra level of concerning.

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
I appreciate the effort, lkcovid jab jab and all.

Sadly the significance of some moderate temperature fluctuations fell off completely in the face of figuring out how to stop this fucking cough that came out of nowhere last night at bedtime, tortured me for a pretty relentless three hours to start off with and has been intermittent ever since. I'm sure you know why an otherwise innocuous cough would be so torturous, the fact that a ~2.5X dose of Dextromethorphan didn't even slow the cough down and treating Ricolas like hard candy barely affected an intermittent stalemate is an extra level of concerning.

My kids are too young for cough medicine and my daughter was just coughing non stop through the night. She wasn't sleeping which meant I wasn't sleeping.

I had to try something. Anything. So I found this and it worked wonders for her overnight. Then I got a cough and this shit is like the truth. And you can take it along with the Dextro. If you become desperate and give it a shot it might help. Brew one of these (most grocery stores seem to carry it around me) and stir in a tablespoon of raw honey. You wake up with a coughing fit have it by your bed and take a couple of big gulps.

1705421357310.jpeg

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My wife is currently having a bilateral mastectomy. I'm freaking the fuck out. This isn't shit we should be dealing with. I have so much sympathy for any couple that has to deal with cancer. We've now dealt with it twice. It's fucking awful.

2 hours to go before I can be with her again. And then I have the privilege of caring for her. That's how I see it, it's a privilege. This woman is the best part of my life. We have been through so much together and I am so in love with her.

Sorry. I'm done. Just needed to vent.

• 15Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 18 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My wife is currently having a bilateral mastectomy. I'm freaking the fuck out. This isn't shit we should be dealing with. I have so much sympathy for any couple that has to deal with cancer. We've now dealt with it twice. It's fucking awful.

2 hours to go before I can be with her again. And then I have the privilege of caring for her. That's how I see it, it's a privilege. This woman is the best part of my life. We have been through so much together and I am so in love with her.

You'll get through it all. Be as strong as you can be, but don't hesitate to ask your family and friends for help when you need to. That shit is going to be exhausting and horrible for you as well.

• 2Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider

You've got this. Today is a stress filled anxiety ridden day but tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your lives and that's awesome.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure it's probably one of the least effective treatment methods for a pulled pectoral muscle (which somehow took me until this morning to realize had happened) but I could go for a unilateral mastectomy right about now.

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk cringe-inducing treacle like "And then I have the privilege of caring for her" dropped with utter sincerity is why I think this world might actually have a worthwhile future.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like