Health Problems

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
got stent out today, feels almost normal now :) ultrasounds in 5 weeks and see doctor. they are running test on stone to see what type it is.

hope no one ever has to go through this, but if anyone has questions, can going into terrible details.

They got any kind of cause for this shit, or is it all genetics?

I'd prob change my diet post haste after the first one of those fuckers, from everything I've heard.

Goatface

I'd prob change my diet post haste after the first one of those fuckers, from everything I've heard.
there are like a dozen factors, diet (high protein/salt/sugar), blood pressure, obesity. age, 40+ chance jumps for men to get calcium based stones.
think one of my biggest issues is dehydration. i drink about 5qt of water a day, but doesn't seem like that is enough.
my understanding, once this all clears up. (when they blast them, a lot turns in parts smaller than sand and can take a few weeks to pass it all) they will run a 24 hour pee test to try to narrow the problem down. there is a pill that can help flush the particles out before they join together.

i had a few sub-3mm stones. 2 of those sent me to the er while they were moving around, but passed ok. these large ones are new to me. i know a welder/machinist who has a collection jar with over 50 small stones at his shop. he has tried about everything and nothing worked.

shock wave lithotripsy is the way to go. like 80-90% chance to blow up the stone and you pee out dust, but my understanding have to catch it before they leave the kidney.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Have no strength at all now. I have to wear a neck collar to keep my head up a good part of the day.

• 4Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Druss

Trakanon Raider

I had a stone like 30 years ago, none since, mine was caused by taking a calcium supplement only a few times, started a small stone and a few years later after it grew I had to get it busted with ultra sound. Painfull as hell, you learn what wrything in pain means lol.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Have no strength at all now. I have to wear a neck collar to keep my head up a good part of the day.
glasses talking GIF by South Park
glasses talking GIF by South Park

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
EMS just left, said they were having massive phone issues. First call to 911 the cell phone wouldn't go through.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My wife had 2 precancerous fibroids removed. This ultimately decides for us that she has to have a full hysterectomy (uterus and ovaries). She has Lynch syndrome. Something her mother an all her sisters have, but her mother never mentioned it. An aunt had to tell her. So sometime this summer she will have that. It's going to be miserable. However, we both believe, as her doctors do, that it is well worth it. Lynch syndrome makes her very likely to develop cancer in her lady bits. Then there has to be twice a year colonoscopies.

We have a lot of hurt and healing upcoming, even though we're just getting through that just now. My wife is finally getting some respite from pain in her chest. It's not gone yet, but every day it is getting better.

And speaking of health issues, I'm suffering from clinical depression an acute anxiety. I know many people don't treat these diseases as something like cancer. These are seriously debilitating. I'm medicated for it, but knowing what my wife has to endure in upcoming months induces three separate panic attacks today. It's not logical at all, it doesn't make sense, but it's what my brain does. My panic attacks are generally vomit inducing. Rather unpleasant.

It's a fucking riot over here right now. At least I get to play hockey tonight.

• 8Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 11 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
What the fuck, man. She's not catching any breaks. Sending good vibes your way.

Huh. My mother died of simultaneous and independent colon and biliary cancer, which are indicated by this. I should get tested.

Yes you should. So should all of your siblings and children. It's nasty.

And no, she's not catching any breaks. She's a fucking trooper. She's working full time again. I'm just trying to cope. She's a lot stronger than I am. I'm amazed by her every day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
My wife had 2 precancerous fibroids removed. This ultimately decides for us that she has to have a full hysterectomy (uterus and ovaries). She has Lynch syndrome. Something her mother an all her sisters have, but her mother never mentioned it. An aunt had to tell her. So sometime this summer she will have that. It's going to be miserable. However, we both believe, as her doctors do, that it is well worth it. Lynch syndrome makes her very likely to develop cancer in her lady bits. Then there has to be twice a year colonoscopies.

We have a lot of hurt and healing upcoming, even though we're just getting through that just now. My wife is finally getting some respite from pain in her chest. It's not gone yet, but every day it is getting better.

And speaking of health issues, I'm suffering from clinical depression an acute anxiety. I know many people don't treat these diseases as something like cancer. These are seriously debilitating. I'm medicated for it, but knowing what my wife has to endure in upcoming months induces three separate panic attacks today. It's not logical at all, it doesn't make sense, but it's what my brain does. My panic attacks are generally vomit inducing. Rather unpleasant.

It's a fucking riot over here right now. At least I get to play hockey tonight.

I assume someone's told you already, but make sure your kids get tested for Lynch. If they are positive, they get fast-tracked for early colonoscopies (early 20s or 2-5 years younger than the person who developed colon cancer first, whichever happens first).

Insurance tends to be leery about multi-gene panels, but I would approve a Lynch test if someone had a first-degree relative with it without blinking.

Good luck, man.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yes you should. So should all of your siblings and children. It's nasty.

So apparently I'm just clueless and Lynch Syndrome was on the radar when my mom was sick. She and my sister both tested negative. I may still get a test just to be 100% sure. She died at 53 after several horrific years of suffering and I'm totally disinterested in that outcome.

Insurance tends to be leery about multi-gene panels, but I would approve a Lynch test if someone had a first-degree relative with it without blinking.

It seems they're only $200-300 cash price anyway.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I assume someone's told you already, but make sure your kids get tested for Lynch. If they are positive, they get fast-tracked for early colonoscopies (early 20s or 2-5 years younger than the person who developed colon cancer first, whichever happens first).

Good luck, man.

4 of my kids are being tested this week. My youngest isn't 18, and the doctors recommend waiting until 18 for the test as it seems to produce more accurate results. I have 5 kids in 5 cities, making this happen is a nightmare with insurance.

I believe this is why my panic level is so high. I don't want us to have passed this on to our children. My resting heart rate is 80, usually it is 56 or so. My brain just can't shut down.

Honestly, I am very grateful for this community. You folks have been so positive and supportive. I appreciate all the positive posts and messages. Thank you all.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I believe this is why my panic level is so high. I don't want us to have passed this on to our children. My resting heart rate is 80, usually it is 56 or so. My brain just can't shut down.
Bro you are freaking out too late. Or possibly too early. The point is you aren't freaking out at exactly the right time.

Trust me, I've become something of an expert at freaking out lately.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Bro you are freaking out too late. Or possibly too early. The point is you aren't freaking out at exactly the right time.

Trust me, I've become something of an expert at freaking out lately.

Can you let me know when it's the right time to freak out? That would be helpful.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Can you let me know when it's the right time to freak out? That would be helpful.
Only when you have confirmation of the worst. But you might want to focus on mitigation first since knowing that isn't likely to stop you from freaking out whenever. What part of all of it are you freaking out over? Is there anything you can do to prevent it? Anything you can do to insulate yourself and your family from the effects of it?

You are human, and you have limits as to what you can do. The universe is a callous and capricious place that gives no fucks as to what we want. Nothing we do will last long beyond our deaths. How you choose to deal with that defines how you deal with death and loss. If you are religious, then you might turn to your religion for guidance. If you aren't, you might look to mutual goals and such you and your wife have been working together towards, your kids obviously, but also any bucket list type items.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Only when you have confirmation of the worst. But you might want to focus on mitigation first since knowing that isn't likely to stop you from freaking out whenever. What part of all of it are you freaking out over? Is there anything you can do to prevent it? Anything you can do to insulate yourself and your family from the effects of it?

You are human, and you have limits as to what you can do. The universe is a callous and capricious place that gives no fucks as to what we want. Nothing we do will last long beyond our deaths. How you choose to deal with that defines how you deal with death and loss. If you are religious, then you might turn to your religion for guidance. If you aren't, you might look to mutual goals and such you and your wife have been working together towards, your kids obviously, but also any bucket list type items.

The anxiety is something my brain does to me. I'm doing all the things you mentioned, but it doesn't stop anxiety. This is something I have to deal with, and I'm working on it hard. Anxiety makes my life a lot harder, makes it harder for me to be a support, but I'm working through it.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The anxiety is something my brain does to me. I'm doing all the things you mentioned, but it doesn't stop anxiety. This is something I have to deal with, and I'm working on it hard. Anxiety makes my life a lot harder, makes it harder for me to be a support, but I'm working through it.
I know that feels, bro. Most of us do. You deal with as much as you can, and you look to your support network when it goes beyond that. Have you done everything in your power? If yes, then let that energy go. What's going to happen beyond that point isn't something you can do anything about. Clench your teeth if it looks like things are going to go to shit, but hope for the best.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users