Hearthstone

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's an odd little thing. I've encountered some other interesting things with Misdirection + Weapon + Other secrets as well. Some very counter intuitive shit. The misdirection onto the player with a weapon can be pretty game changing, that's for sure. It is pretty dumb that they get a free hit, it should either take durability, or not do damage. I think it just comes down to lazy coding with weapons.
I can't imagine they intended it to work like that. I would assume they never intended the minion to take weapon damage. Who knows, maybe that's supposed to be a counterbalance to the secret.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
But you're not attacking with it, you're being hit. Weapons only lose durability whenyouattack. In some sense all the elements are working exactly as they are supposed to.
The point is the weapon is doing damage. I doubt it was ever intended to work that way, else minions would take damage when attacking a hero with a weapon. I'm willing to bet it's just lazy coding of weapon mechanics.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, the only time it ever does damage is when you attack too, so why should it damage a minion just because its your own. It doesn't damage attacking enemy minions or other characters attacking with their weapon. By a previous posters logic that its sheathed, well its unsheathed when your turn is up so a misdirected friend minion would take durability just the same. Its a silly argument, it could be intended but I'm guessing not.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the only time it ever does damage is when you attack too, so why should it damage a minion just because its your own. It doesn't damage attacking enemy minions or other characters attacking with their weapon. By a previous posters logic that its sheathed, well its unsheathed when your turn is up so a misdirected friend minion would take durability just the same. Its a silly argument, it could be intended but I'm guessing not.
10 bucks says if you pop savage roar or heroic strike and have a minion get misdirected to you, you'll damage it too.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The point is the weapon is doing damage. I doubt it was ever intended to work that way, else minions would take damage when attacking a hero with a weapon. I'm willing to bet it's just lazy coding of weapon mechanics.
Except weapons are sheathed when it isn't your turn. They absolutely would take damage if they somehow attacked you on your turn (which is what is happening). Everything is working precisely the way it is supposed to mechanically, theresultprobably isn't intended. But when everything is working the way it is supposed to, you can't call it lazy coding.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It has to be lazy, you can't just have an unintentional bug from an unforseen situation. Why didn't they have some kind of public testing period where thousands of people would play the game and find obsure mistakes in the game?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except weapons are sheathed when it isn't your turn. They absolutely would take damage if they somehow attacked you on your turn (which is what is happening). Everything is working precisely the way it is supposed to mechanically
Except a weapon doing damage isn't also taking durability loss. How is that precisely the way its supposed to work?

The Master

Bronze Squire
Except a weapon doing damage isn't also taking durability loss. How is that precisely the way its supposed to work?
Because you're conflating two unrelated things. Weapons only lose durability when youattackwith them. Are you attacking when something hits you? No.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because it only loses durability when you attack and in the case of misdirection you are being hit. Or in the case of if you do trigger misdirection with your own hero/weapon you can bet it does damage and does use durability.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
So, durability loss is linked tomyhavingchosento attack, but weather or not damage is dealt is independent of my decisions and happens only when my unsheathed weapon touches any minion for any reason?

I think it far more likely that they simply overlooked how Misdirection would work with Weapon Durability. If it is as you say Master, then they need to unlink Durability loss to the player's attack-action and instead link Durability loss to any time the weapon is forced to deal damage to any thing for any reason.

Also, RAR RAR DEVS ARE EBIL!!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Misdirection is already a pretty game changing trap depending on the matchup, that random chance that a creature gets misdirected into your weapon damage on top of you taking the damage is pretty unfair. It also doesn't make sense, It's my fucking fiery war axe, I'm the one who decides if it's going to do damage to a creature.

The sensible (to me) way for misdirect to work is for your creature to ignore your attack damage if you have any when it gets misdirected into you.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because you're conflating two unrelated things. Weapons only lose durability when youattackwith them. Are you attacking when something hits you? No.
Is there any other scenario besides misdirection where your weapon ever does damage other than you attacking? How is it unrelated. Every single other time the weapon does damage it loses durability.

Do you actually think the devs intended it this way or are you arguing semantics?

The Master

Bronze Squire
Is there any other scenario besides misdirection where your weapon ever does damage other than you attacking? How is it unrelated. Every single other time the weapon does damage it loses durability.

Do you actually think the devs intended it this way or are you arguing semantics?
Durability tooltip literally reads that when you attack, your weapon loses a durability So... yeah. All of the mechanics are working as intended. Theinteractionof those mechanics has an issue. Is this really too complicated for you?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Durability tooltip literally reads that when you attack, your weapon loses a durability So... yeah. All of the mechanics are working as intended. Theinteractionof those mechanics has an issue. Is this really too complicated for you?
If you had mentioned the tooltip before I'd have understood your point.