Hearthstone

Neph_sl

shitlord
Can I assume I should do practice until all decks are 10 as a starting point?
Definitely. Unlocking all the basic cards gets you 100 gold from a hidden quest. Plus, if you haven't been following the game, it gives you a good feel for each class. Also, beat all the expert AIs for another 100 gold.

Can I assume I should do practice until all decks are 10 as a starting point?

Focused on priest and hes 22 so far but tried an arena last night and got whooped up 1-3.
depends how much streams you have watched. I watched ek0p/trump/kripp way too much while waiting for my beta key. Jumped into arena after unlocking it basically and doing quite well so far.

If you don't have a good feel for the game it's probably better to unlock basic decks first so you don't just piss gold away.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Pretty much my only losses today have been because fucking mind control
frown.png

Neph_sl

shitlord
I've learned that the best way to deal with mind control is to make sure you have a contingency plan going into turn 8. Say, for example, you're a druid that's about to drop a turn 8 Ironbark Protector (8/8 with taunt). I wouldn't do it unless I had either a) 8 damage-worth of minions on the board already, b) starfire + 3 damage, c) silence + enough damage to win the game, etc.

Another option is to just not give him a good minion to mind control. Play lots of smaller minions and beat him that way. Priests only AOE is holy nova, and many don't pick up more than one.

Yes, since you end up having to respond to your own (usually buffed) minion, it means you've lost momentum. But if you assume you're going to get mind controlled at turn 8, you can turn that into an advantage.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Obviously don't drop a huge card but when he saves Mind Control until really late game and has more minions out than you then gg. It doesn't happen too often, but seems to be the only thing that ever really gets me.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Figures, PoE new patch, time to get a Hearthstone invite. Oh well I know what I'll be doing once I'm done with PoE.

Elerion

N00b
I'd say so. If I had to make a list of best arena classes, I'd say:

1) Priest
2) Druid
3-4) Mage, Paladin
5-7) Hunter, Shaman, Warlock
8) Warrior
9) Rogue

Part of that list, though, is probably me not knowing how to successfully draft an arena rogue. I just feel like the class is too gimmicky to work out well in arena.

Warriors are alright in arena, but you definitely need to get a decent aggro draft. Fiery War Axe and Arcanite Reaper are a must since their only AOE is Whirlwind (which is terrible unless you have an Armorsmith) or Brawl. So you pretty much have to swing at things and take your lumps to keep their board clear.

Both Priest's and Druid's toolkit is varied enough that you can pretty easily get at least 5-3 even with crappy draws. But Priest's removal (Shadow Word: Pain and Death) are pretty much overpowered plus they have Mind Control.
Warrior deck flunked out bad, 1-3.

Then I drafted mage and went 7-3, solid but unspectacular.

Followed that up with a druid and went 7-1... then lost 2 games to absolutely ridiculous decks/draws. First a paladin who played 3 Aldor Peacekeepers (!), just rolling over me with the constant 2 for 1s. Okay, lucky draft and good draw, no problem.

Then I played against a priest. I had 4+4+2 attack on the board against his empty board, and a hand full of fatties. He mind controls a 4-attack minion, I trade and play a 8/8 treant. He mind controls the 8/8 treant. I play another 8/8 treant, he mind controls that too. 3 Mind Control back to back. I completely outplayed him in the early game, had an equal amount of late game cards in hand, and he just sweeped me with 3 basic cards. That feels so balanced. Sure, it's an 8 mana spell, but it's a guaranteed 2-for-1 even against other lategame cards, and usually 3+ for 1, with no obvious counters. Why is that a basic card again?

I'm guessing you face other arena decks with many wins when you get a lot of wins, or was that just random poor luck?

e: Arena 5, draft as priest, no mind control, no 7+ mana bombs. Oh well, 4-0 anyway because everything about this class is god damn ridiculous in limited. Northshire Cleric, PWS, Holy Nova, SWD, SWP, Mind Control are all stupid fucking good for basics, and even the hero power is pretty fucking powerful.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm guessing you face other arena decks with many wins when you get a lot of wins, or was that just random poor luck?
I believe that's how it works, but I haven't read anything official. I definitely face more challenging opponents as I move up in wins in the arena.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Elerion has it exactly right, anyone with basic ccg experience can see that Mind Control needs a change. Rarity would fix it. Move it to Rare or Epic, now you dont see every Priest in Arena with it and for constructed you can craft them for your deck. Precedence is already there, they moved Questing Adventurer from common to rare last patch.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mind Control is their big signature control card though. Like Firestorm for Mages. It's the card that turns the game around. The whole reason they can exist as a control deck in a field full of aggro decks. And without it, theres no reason to play priest over mage.

Elerion

N00b
Holy Nova is far better than Arcane Explosion. Hell, it's as good as or better than Blizzard, a mage rare.
Northshire Cleric is probably the best basic minion in the game.
PWS is an almost guaranteed 2-for-1 for 1 mana.
SWD and SWP may be the best single target removal spells among the basic cards.

And Mind Control is FAR more powerful than Firestorm. It's not even comparable.

Mages are good, but priests are just absurd.

e: I just reread my post. I'm getting a bit polarized here, sorry. I shouldn't be so bombastic given that I've played a grand total of 4.5 arenas.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I actually think Multishot is the most overpowered card in the game.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Alright so I blow at this game and it feels bad man, if people want to add me and do an informative duel or two it'd be fucking awesome.

accordion#1700

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I read that you should get every class to 10 to unlock all the basic cards, wondering though, should I play expert AI for that or does playing normal AI which is a lot easier level just as fast?