Hearthstone

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms...1061634681.png

What I take from this is:

Only 25% of all registered accounts actually care about ladder. If you don't make it to rank 15 then you simply don't count, you're most likely under 50 games played in the season. Of the 25% of players that care about ladder, only 8% make it to the top 5 ranks and only 2% make it to legend. Still very interesting as I would have thought the legend percent would be higher. 98% of players that try for a high rank don't reach legend.

This is just how I see the chart. I'm sure some will disagree!

Edit- My high rank is 3. I had a 57% win rate on that season but simply didn't have enough time to grind it out. It's unreal how long it takes to grind out those last 5 ranks if you're not a 70+ winrate player.

Edit 2- If my math is correct: Rank 5-1 is 25 stars. At 57% win rate that would take me 350 games. Yes... 350 games to go from rank 5 to legend with 57% win rate. Correct me if my math is wrong~
Well I sort of agree, but I also think some people are just bad. Yes, you can reach rank 15 with no effort, but who are the people who are so bad it takes no effort to get there? They are obviously still playing on the ladder and not advancing.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I have a friend that plays ranked but can't get past 18. Dunno how people can be that bad, but they do exist.

Edit: And I am talking about multiple seasons of futility. This is with giving him stock decklists like zoo.

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This freeze mage taking me far.

rrr_img_76443.jpg

Neph_sl

shitlord
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms...1061634681.png

What I take from this is:

Only 25% of all registered accounts actually care about ladder. If you don't make it to rank 15 then you simply don't count, you're most likely under 50 games played in the season. Of the 25% of players that care about ladder, only 8% make it to the top 5 ranks and only 2% make it to legend. Still very interesting as I would have thought the legend percent would be higher. 98% of players that try for a high rank don't reach legend.

This is just how I see the chart. I'm sure some will disagree!

Edit- My high rank is 3. I had a 57% win rate on that season but simply didn't have enough time to grind it out. It's unreal how long it takes to grind out those last 5 ranks if you're not a 70+ winrate player.

Edit 2- If my math is correct: Rank 5-1 is 25 stars. At 57% win rate that would take me 350 games. Yes... 350 games to go from rank 5 to legend with 57% win rate. Correct me if my math is wrong~
It shouldn't take quite that long. I'm not sure how to do calculate it, so I wrote a sim that gets similar numbers toRank 5 to Legendary probability (using actual math!) : hearthstone
(my sim is slightly worse, 220/118/82 games played to get to legendary given 0.55/0.6/0.65 win rates). I threw in the fact that you can't de-rank below 20 and that other ranks have a lower number of required stars.

That said, given a 57% win rate, it'll take you 164 wins to get to legendary from rank 5. Given 15 minute games, that'll take 41 hours.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
It shouldn't take quite that long. I'm not sure how to do calculate it, so I wrote a sim that gets similar numbers toRank 5 to Legendary probability (using actual math!) : hearthstone
(my sim is slightly worse, 220/118/82 games played to get to legendary given 0.55/0.6/0.65 win rates). I threw in the fact that you can't de-rank below 20 and that other ranks have a lower number of required stars.

That said, given a 57% win rate, it'll take you 164 wins to get to legendary from rank 5. Given 15 minute games, that'll take 41 hours.
I dunno I just figured that I am 7% above 50/50 and with that it would take me 14 games to be solidly ahead a full star. 14*25 stars = 350 games. Prob would take less but then again, the competition is stronger than what I had faced from 15-3.

Neph_sl

shitlord
So yea, if you're starting at rank 3 and only have a 50% win rate, it'll take you about 252 wins to hit legend. Edited my sim to bump your win rate to 0.6 between rank 4-5 and 0.75 at rank 6+.

Bottom line? It's a grind to hit legendary.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Your actual win rate may be greater than 50% even if the simulation is set to a 50% win rate. It's like flipping a coin, sometimes you'll get a lot of heads in a row, sometimes not.

If you had a 50% win chance from rank 20, you could still hit legendary. Actually, as long as you have a non-zero % chance to win, you'll get there. It just depends on how patient you are. (Well actually, maybe not, since you're limited by seasons only being a month long...)

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Once you hit rank 5 it's impossible to get legend with 50% win rate -from that point forward- though.

I got to legendary once and then never bothered to reach for it in following seasons, now I just play constructed up to 20 for the card back and that is that and alot of my friends do just that - get to 20 and call it a day

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Once you hit rank 5 it's impossible to get legend with 50% win rate -from that point forward- though.
Only if you envision a 50% win rate as winning a game and losing a game or if the player immediately stops playing once achieving Legendary and thus is stopping at some point where the flips disproportionately fell in his favor (and thus does not have a 50% win rate at that exact time).

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Only if you envision a 50% win rate as winning a game and losing a game or if the player immediately stops playing once achieving Legendary and thus is stopping at some point where the flips disproportionately fell in his favor (and thus does not have a 50% win rate at that exact time).
How would that work? Starting at rank 5 you basically need to win 2 games for every 1 loss to make progress (66% win rate). Of course you can tank your W/L record down prior and make legendary with 20% overall win rate if you want to.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got to rank 7 this morning playing the OTK Priest. Shade/Stalagg/Feugen/lots of healing shit make this deck a lot of fun. But I am not as good with it as the regular control priest and I don't like not having SW:p. A turn 2 or 3 shade is effectively unkillable and if you get to turn 7 with it you will usually have the combo cards to take him out.

Fun fun fun.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
How would that work? Starting at rank 5 you basically need to win 2 games for every 1 loss to make progress (66% win rate). Of course you can tank your W/L record down prior and make legendary with 20% overall win rate if you want to.
Picture a gigantic string of coin flips. Thousands and thousands of flips. There are going to be chunks that are disproportionately heads and chunks that are disproportionately tails. Over the long haul there will be as many of each as the other but the right chunk at the right time would land you Legendary. Sure, if you calculate win rate at that moment it'll look like it's higher than 50% but it really isn't. If I challenged you to a coin flipping contest and won flipping heads 7 out of 10 times would you say that heads had a 70% chance of showing up?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Picture a gigantic string of coin flips. Thousands and thousands of flips. There are going to be chunks that are disproportionately heads and chunks that are disproportionately tails. Over the long haul there will be as many of each as the other but the right chunk at the right time would land you Legendary. Sure, if you calculate win rate at that moment it'll look like it's higher than 50% but it really isn't. If I challenged you to a coin flipping contest and won flipping heads 7 out of 10 times would you say that heads had a 70% chance of showing up?
I mean yea, I know what you're saying, you can make the win % infinitesimally close to 50 but I can't imagine a circumstance where you can get Legend with exactly a 50% or less win percentage, assuming we remain in the ranks 5 or better. That constraint in tact means deranking to 6 then back to 5 starts the stat back over. If you allow losses outside the constraints you can easily get win percentages much less than 50%. Even assuming you win only 1001 games for every 1000 losses, that's still a win percentage of 50.02

Brand

Molten Core Raider

I find it hard to believe that one in fifty accounts make legendary. That seems REALLY high.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You have three cards in your deck and your opponent thoughtseals and plays a goat. What's the probability of you drawing a car next turn?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I guess it works because you have to lose twice in a row to derank. Otherwise your odds of stringing together 25 more wins than losses seems like it should be higher than 1/350.