Hearthstone

The Master

Bronze Squire
It just comes down to knowing the game, which takes time. You could easily streak to rank 12/13 with a free Mage deck if you knew what you were doing. You could get legendary with a free Mage deck, even (and people have). But you need to learn the deck, the meta, mulligan strategies, etc. Takes time.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hearthstone deck building 101:

85% of your cards should be the cards that are pretty much mandatory for your class.
15% of your cards should be good against the current meta.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I've been playing Hearthstone for about a week now as a Mage and I can't break rank 19.

Why do I suck so bad?
frown.png
Collect better cards. That's the first answer.

Learning the meta is one thing and is all good. But until you have the cards to implement your meta-plan, it doesn't even matter what it is.

Play games in ranked to finish your daily quests, (never in casual, even if you lose in ranked) and use the gold earned to purchase Arena runs. Your first goal is to not care about your Rank at first. You can't compete yet. Don't try.

Your goal is to earn gold to buy packs to either get the card directly, or to disenchant the cards into dust in order to craft your first rares and epics. Worry about legendaries later. Craft the good rares and epics first. Maybe even one or two key commons like Harvest Golem or Leper Gnome, but don't go TOO crazy crafting commons.

Just play and read and pay attention. That's the only real answer. Play whatever class(es) you want. Whatever appeals to you.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I hope you have better luck than me with packs. I haven't gotten a single legendary in my last 20+ packs.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've read an article about arena and I do agree with one point they made in the article is that now is a pretty bad time to do arenas. A lot of people are saving up gold for Naxx, including a lot of more casual players, and the pool of players currently in arena is some people who don't know about Naxx at all or plan on buying it with money and a lot of people who have more gold than they need, which for the most part are arena players with high win rates. Which means currently arena is a lot harder than it was a few months ago(especially during iPad release), because there's not as many bad arena players.

Now obviously this is purely conjecture but I've done 2 arena runs myself the other day and I might have been unlucky but I didn't see anyone playing really shit cards and stuff. The guy making the point had a 70+% winrate before but for the 12runs he did recently he was quite a lot lower, with an average of 5wins only.

Arenas also require a certain amount of base knowledge of value of the cards and strategies as well as more than one class, so depending on the effort you want to put in, it might be better to just spend your gold on packs right away.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I've read an article about arena and I do agree with one point they made in the article is that now is a pretty bad time to do arenas. A lot of people are saving up gold for Naxx, including a lot of more casual players, and the pool of players currently in arena is some people who don't know about Naxx at all or plan on buying it with money and a lot of people who have more gold than they need, which for the most part are arena players with high win rates. Which means currently arena is a lot harder than it was a few months ago(especially during iPad release), because there's not as many bad arena players.

Now obviously this is purely conjecture but I've done 2 arena runs myself the other day and I might have been unlucky but I didn't see anyone playing really shit cards and stuff. The guy making the point had a 70+% winrate before but for the 12runs he did recently he was quite a lot lower, with an average of 5wins only.

Arenas also require a certain amount of base knowledge of value of the cards and strategies as well as more than one class, so depending on the effort you want to put in, it might be better to just spend your gold on packs right away.
This isn't wrong. I think Arena may very well be a bit tougher than it was when I was coming up a few months ago.

I think I'd still recommend Arena to new people because no matter what the current meta looks like, the Arena is always a raw and un-lubed experience. It is the setbacks you endure in Arena that allow you to more fully understand Ranked. You play arena, at first, knowing that you will lose often. But you do it precisely because losing is the best and most raw way to learn. You just gotta get out there with whatever deck you fancy. Work on it as you go.

Column_sl

shitlord
Bout fucking time, I already have a Priest, and Healing Paladin deck that will steam role the wings.

I believe it is only one wing per week tho

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah fuckers can't even release it all at once because otherwise they'll have people bitching it took over a year to release the next expansion, this way they can pretend it only took 11months and a half. Slow ass motherfuckers.

But eh naxx I guess. I need to make a US account to play it one day earlier.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Have they said if all the class challenges will be unlocked on the 22nd or will we have to wait 5 weeks for those to roll out too?

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Hearthstone deck building 101:

85% of your cards should be the cards that are pretty much mandatory for your class.
Where do I find out what these cards are? I mean, I have some idea of what cards are good but I suck at this game and I am sure I'm doing something wrong.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Where do I find out what these cards are? I mean, I have some idea of what cards are good but I suck at this game and I am sure I'm doing something wrong.
Hearthpwn, the Liquid hearthstone site, this kind of place, they have tier lists and guides and deck lists and shit like that so you kinda figure it out after a bit when you see every mage deck running fireball/frostbolt. Wouldn't say it's 85% though, it's like dependant on your deck type. Hell even considering all decks, there's more than 15% of class cards that are not very good or very situational so it's more like 60% or so. Say for mage for example, Iceblock, Frost Armor, Arcane Wyrm, Mirror Images, Frostbolt, Fireball, Blizzard, Flamestrike, Pyroblast, Polymorph, Water elem, Ice Lance, Arcane Intellect tend to be the higher tier cards and a lot of them are played in most decks but some decks still don't play water elem or poly for example. Bunch more are ok but more situational and shit, like Cone of Cold, Frost Nova, Arcane Missiles, the other secrets+the 2 other secret minions(for secret deck), Archmage, cost reduction gnome. Arcane Explosion I think is the only garbage tier mage card overall.

Some classes have more of the high tier cards or more of the situational one, and quite a few classes have more than one garbage tier card(but not that many either).

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Honestly, to get better you should go to Twitch and watch Trump/Reynad/Hafu/Kripp/Forsen/Eggy/GuardsmanBob/or any other streamer with a few thousand or more viewers. Watching Trump, Reynad, and Hafu really helped me understand good play in both Constructed and Arena. It is even helpful to watch recorded sessions and pause them to think out the play you think is best and see what they do instead.

Also, if you are going to play Arena you have to realize that 95% of games minions are king and efficiently using them will get you the win. When you can trade one minion for two or more of theirs, you are doing good. If you can trade a low cost minion for their higher cost minion, you are doing good. Sometimes you make good trades and still lose, but you will get better and start piling up wins.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Have they said if all the class challenges will be unlocked on the 22nd or will we have to wait 5 weeks for those to roll out too?
From what I remember they unlock after you defeat a boss that has one available so I don't see why whichever one might be tied to those bosses in that wing wouldn't come with it.