Hell or High Water: neo-western from the writer of Sicario

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Watched it today. Pretty fucking good. Thanks for recommending it rerolled.org bros.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh shit... it was nice knowing you, Jeff Bridges.

Shame your career is fucked after this.

variety said:
‘Hell or High Water’ ‘Shines a Light’ on Donald Trump’s Victory, Jeff Bridges Says
TThe American desolation at the heart of this past summer’s sleeper hit Hell or High Water has a much different feel after Donald Trump’s surprising election victory on Nov. 8 – something not far from the mind of costar Jeff Bridges. The Oscar-winning actor stars as a Texas marshall tasked with hunting two bank-robbing brothers (Chris Pine and Ben Foster), who steal from one particularly greedy chain of banks, a company that has savaged the surrounding area with bad loans and debt. “The script just rang authentic to me,” Bridges tells EW. “But then I also liked this ambiguity. It was kind of all gray. Right and wrong seemed blurred. Certainly it’s not right to rob a bank, but is it right for banks to be lending money to people they know full well can’t pay it back, so they can get a crack at their land? I like that aspect of it.”

LMAO I wouldn't be shocked if that interpretation helped hobble the film's wide release. I hadn't even thought of it that way but he's definitely right with the way banks and predatory capitalism is portrayed as the villains in rural america's lives.

Still the best movie I've seen this year.

• 2Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, I thought it was a good movie. I personally wouldn't attribute the word "best" to it though unless I was saying "best movie i've watched in the last 2 hours".

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
outside of block buster comic book films which aren't really up for any best picture awards, what movie do you think is better than this in 2016?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Barring big summer hits the best ones I've seen so far this year aside from this movie we're Manchester by the Sea and Hacksaw Ridge. Of those I'd bet on hacksaw ridge just for pure filmmaking. Manchester actually shares some themes with hell or high water, but Jeff bridges fits way better in Texas than Casey Affleck fits in New England.

The oscar cucks will prolly pick la la land or loving tho.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Manchester was a pointless meandering bullshit movie that was in desperate need of editing.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Manchester was a pointless meandering bullshit movie that was in desperate need of editing.
Yeah all those cuck movies are. But it's pretty much oscar-bait tbh. They'll throw in Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or High Water just as a nod to people who give a shit about badass films (kinda the same reason they nominated Mad Max last year), but it's gonna be down to Manchester and La La Land.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Downloaded this last weekend. I thought this was pretty good. One of the better flicks I've seen in a while.

• 1Like

Szlia

Ended up seeing it. Solid movie, especially because of its omnipresent "end of an era" theme. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to westerns, but I feel that's it's a pretty common theme in classic westerns (the end of the wild west) that is here cleverly modernized. That being said, the stylization is a bit extreme at times for my taste (it works for the comedy elements, but not really for the drama elements).

One of the top 30 film seen this year (disclaimer: that's the 223rd film I saw in 2016).

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I watched this tonight. A really great movie.

The whole time I was watching it I was reminded of a line from Lonesome Dove, when Woodrow Call told Augustus McCrae why he wanted to drive cattle from Texas up to Montana: "I wanna do it Gus. I wanna see that country, before the bankers and lawyers all git it."

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Ended up seeing it. Solid movie, especially because of its omnipresent "end of an era" theme. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to westerns, but I feel that's it's a pretty common theme in classic westerns (the end of the wild west) that is here cleverly modernized. That being said, the stylization is a bit extreme at times for my taste (it works for the comedy elements, but not really for the drama elements).

One of the top 30 film seen this year (disclaimer: that's the 223rd film I saw in 2016).

Well I would say that end of an era clash of big business/bank and the small rancher theme in Shane is very much here, updated for the 21st century.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
solid movie, worth watching. Only complaint's that they seemed to try too hard to hit you with the "banks are bad" thing, especially the half-breed's bit outside the T-bone diner. Everything else was A+