Hell or High Water: neo-western from the writer of Sicario

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Good movie, having spent far too much time in West Texas working in the O&G business, a lot of it resonated. The towns especially. Both those guys were great in this movie as well, and thought the ending was perfect.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
thread necro

Got around to watching this and really enjoyed it, but I don't really see it as a Best Picture quality movie. Maybe I missed something but just didn't seem to have that special 'something' I usually feel when I see a best picture nomination that I feel is worthy of it. Story was minimal but enough to drive the actions of the characters and really secondary to the superb acting. Jeff Bridges I can definitely see his nomination for Supporting Actor but I liked Chris Pine and Ben Foster as well.

Also granny waitress best character in the movie.

The big business vs regular working stiff really resonated with me personally.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Just saw this as well, working backwards I guess gonna watch sicario next. I grew up with a lesser version of these kind of people, shit kickers and rednecks who spiral into poverty so wasn't something I enjoyed at the beginning but the acting and the dark melancholy definitely grew on me. It was a fantastic deep thought that indians more or less had all the land 200 years ago and strangers came and took it all away, and the same thing is happening again with rust belt white people and pretty much the rest of the world is taking away everything from them. Makes ya think.

life in an urban, coastal city is so vastly different from what I grew up and what I see in this kind of movie that it really feels like two different countries now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
This movie was definitely the best of the lot for the year and should have won best picture. It perfectly encapsulated the Trump effect and why what he was saying resonated with people and why he handily defeated hilldog.

Of course hollywood faggots had to choose between a whimsical musical that glorified a fantasy version of their own lives or a piece on inner city gay + black men so, yeah. Of course they didn't see it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Just watched this. It is the goddamn movie of the year for 2016 AND 2017. Fucking fantastic from start to finish.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Seen this 3-4 times now. If you haven't yet, now's the time. It's a very culturally relevant movie and well-acted.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity