Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
giphy.gif

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I ignore all this gay shit and just play the game with friends once a week for fun. When did gaming, and pretty much everything in life, just become internet drama. When will these companies learn the reactions are more of the problem than real issues. This is basically dorks version of the Palestine protests. People who are looking for a cause.
Except they won. So I guess the effort to take 30 seconds to review bomb was worth it? It's almost like organizing and exercising power works.

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Cybsled

This is also the correct take. Instead of the "lol join or die" approach, tossing out a bunch of exclusive goodies through an optional program would have probably worked in attracting a semi-decent sized group of people.

1714971268083.jpeg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I was there when gamers stood up to Playstation overlords and won.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The biggest unforced error I've ever seen in gaming. The Unity devs thing was close, but there were actual economic incentives to do it. Real names on Battletags is the closest thing I can think of. Oh yeah and maybe WotC and their attempt to un-open-source the D20 system.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This is going to wreck them with PC gamers for a long time, heh.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Do people actually judge games based on their steam reviews? I see that come up at times about people crashing the reviews. Does it matter? Seems like a bad way to get an idea about a game.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The biggest unforced error I've ever seen in gaming. The Unity devs thing was close, but there were actual economic incentives to do it. Real names on Battletags is the closest thing I can think of. Oh yeah and maybe WotC and their attempt to un-open-source the D20 system.
And the timing could not be worse for them, so close on the heels of the Stellar Blade censorship drama. Amazing what Sony has become in such a short time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Do people actually judge games based on their steam reviews? I see that come up at times about people crashing the reviews. Does it matter? Seems like a bad way to get an idea about a game.
People who are NPCs and/or otherwise incapable of independent thought do. I mean I have a couple critics I tend to trust, but even those I aggregate with this board and by looking for actual specifics on their rationale for their opinions. Basically, I mostly take what Critical Drinker and Yahtzee have to say, knowing their personal biases, then figure the truth is likely in the middle. Then I lurk a thread here to fill in the gaps. But I also almost never pre-order and have not for years (has to be a FROM game or similar rep) ever since Planescape Numeria happened.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I do, depending on the themes of the reviews. You can generally tell pretty quickly if the negatives are something you actually care about.

A recent example for me is Triangle Strategy. It’s a well reviewed game, but in the reviews I saw a lot of negatives due to “way too much dialogue, not enough gameplay”. In the positives I saw people praising how much dialogue there is. I could see both sides saying that it is a very dialogue heavy game, which is not something I’m interested in.

Sometimes negative reviews are things I enjoy in games, sometimes they’re bullshit that don’t even have anything to do with the game but they got review bombed due to devs political views or whatever. Sometimes a game with great reviews makes a drastic change to the game which made it suck.

Usually I can tell if I’d like a game or not based on threads on this board, but there are thousands of games that just aren’t discussed here, our threads typically stick to RPGs or the highly anticipated/marketed releases. For everything else, Steam reviews have their place.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
who gives af about someone from cambodia not being able to play; game is still fun. for the ~10% that get screwed, fuck em lol why so many defenders??? they'll end up just VPNing once to create the account... not like these 3rd worlders dont know how to use 1

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I do, depending on the themes of the reviews. You can generally tell pretty quickly if the negatives are something you actually care about.

A recent example for me is Triangle Strategy. It’s a well reviewed game, but in the reviews I saw a lot of negatives due to “way too much dialogue, not enough gameplay”. In the positives I saw people praising how much dialogue there is. I could see both sides saying that it is a very dialogue heavy game, which is not something I’m interested in.

Sometimes negative reviews are things I enjoy in games, sometimes they’re bullshit that don’t even have anything to do with the game but they got review bombed due to devs political views or whatever. Sometimes a game with great reviews makes a drastic change to the game which made it suck.

Usually I can tell if I’d like a game or not based on threads on this board, but there are thousands of games that just aren’t discussed here, our threads typically stick to RPGs or the highly anticipated/marketed releases. For everything else, Steam reviews have their place.
Discernment is a art.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I take recent reviews into account tbh. Negative reviews have definitely gotten me to pass on a game I was already tucoing on. On the flip side, they've also gotten me to buy games I'll never play just cause I like the idea and /might/ play it some day, when reviews are generally positive. That's how I ended up with hundreds upon hudreds of games in my steam library I've never played lol.

regret nothing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users