Help identifying bug

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Found this monster of a hornet outside by the pool and I'm wondering what it is? It looks like a spider hawk hornet, except its got the coloring of a yellow jacket (somewhat). However, the size of the hornet exceeds that of a yellow jacket. Region is Texas.

edit: Looks like it could be a Cicada Killer Wasp.

Size was about 2 inches long and the width was about a half inch to inch.

992833_10103229782801295_995356737_n.jpg

1044611_10103229782766365_1561409417_n.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can identify it but I need you to let me know what it tastes like first.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Definitely a cicada killer, I collected one for my specimen collection in my Entomology class last year.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're diggers, and non-aggressive to humans so unless their nest is somewhere inconvenient for you, you don't have to worry about them aside from the occasional freak-out at seeing a fuckin godzilla monster fly past.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They're diggers, and non-aggressive to humans so unless their nest is somewhere inconvenient for you, you don't have to worry about them aside from the occasional freak-out at seeing a fuckin godzilla monster fly past.
bullshit those are maneating monsters. Here's photographic evidence of approrpiate responses to them
running2_26agony.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ill add to the chorus. Definitely a cicada killer. They're huge but mostly harmless. The paper wasps and killer bees are the only ones you need to watch out for randomly attacking you in texas.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Seeing stuff like that makes me glad I only lived in Florida for a year. That state has some monster bugs. You can step on them, but that just pisses them off.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have an incapacitating fear of bees. That thing won't sting usually it says, but I would be paralyzed and probably give myself my own last rites if I saw one in front of me

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
These are so rare, it's ridiculous. I've literally seen one in over 20 years living here and it was in a wood pile. It ran immediately.
I have never seen one, but I've seen their egg sacs. They are quite distinctive. Luckily, black widows rarely come indoors. Brown recluses are far more dangerous.

Psypher_sl

shitlord
These are so rare, it's ridiculous. I've literally seen one in over 20 years living here and it was in a wood pile. It ran immediately.
Either I'm unlucky, or they aren't that rare here in Georgia. I killed 2 in a home I was in about 2 years ago and then ran into another one that was hiding under the handle of a campground water spigot.