Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I kickstarted at the $250 pro level for the free weekly draft for life. I do log in most weeks and do the draft but nothing else, really hoping PVE is fun or else I may just try to sell this account somehow.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Note: As of their latest partnership, it's now against TOS to sell accounts, despite being kosher before that. So if someone buys your account, strips it, then chargebacks you, HEX won't help.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It has been buggy as hell and slow loading but damn I have to give these guys credit, this is exactly what I have been looking forward to, they nailed it.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I loved magic the gathering back in the day, but after playing modern ccg games, I see just how much of a trash mechanic resource cards are. Over half of my games are a lost cause due to either drawing way too many mana cards, or drawing not enough in the first few turns. Getting real tired of having to restart games because on turn 4+ I still only have 1 mana. Running a standard 20 resources for a 60 card deck.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yep. On a logical level, I understand fully the design purpose behind them. That doesn't make it feel any less shitty. Unfortunately, for the most part, non-resource-progression CCGs from the first and second generations all pretty much croaked. Most of the games that managed to avoid the system and survive were weeaboo fighan cards. Fantasy Flight Games creating the Iron Lung Distribution Model helped to resurrect some of the flatter resource schemes (Game of Thrones and Star Wars technically involve resource progression, but it's not vital; Netrunner provides baseline resource generation that is sufficient to win the game/tournaments with, alongside burst economy).

However, as long as you're working within that system, i'd suggest moving closer to 23-25 resources than 20. With 20 resources, you're only sitting at a 44% chance of actually hitting your 4th land drop on turn 4, and only 63% to hit 3 lands on turn 3. The charge system takes some of the sting out of flooding, so it's generally better to run closer to 25 shards than you would in a normal Magic deck.

At 20 lands, on the play, keeping a 1-lander, you only have a 74% chance to have seen a second+ land by turn 4.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I loved magic the gathering back in the day, but after playing modern ccg games, I see just how much of a trash mechanic resource cards are. Over half of my games are a lost cause due to either drawing way too many mana cards, or drawing not enough in the first few turns. Getting real tired of having to restart games because on turn 4+ I still only have 1 mana. Running a standard 20 resources for a 60 card deck.
Not taking a mulligan with a 1 land (shard) hand is a newbie mistake. If you see you have only one or no shards MULLIGAN.
Never accept 1 shard hand unless you know what you're doing.

Also, the standard is 24 shards per 60 card deck. 20 shards is way way way low. So, there's your problem.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The lag seems mostly sorted now, and I've been very happy with the pve lineup so far. It's got a good mix of stuff, difficulty is kind of low, but it is the newbie levels (1-9) so that's to be expected.

Shin'hare follow the proud tradition of sucking in every way though, play shin'hare mage with the starter deck as hardmode ;p

Some of the fights are definitely no pushover ( aaaaaaah piranhas ! ) and will absolutely wreck your general purpose deck no matter how good it is. They need a specially crafted deck and strategy to deal with which is nice.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I picked human warrior, have access to red blue and white, the wormoid path is killing me, I am carrying a bunch of worthless gnomes on my back and no matter how I build the deck I keep getting smoked.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I picked human warrior, have access to red blue and white, the wormoid path is killing me, I am carrying a bunch of worthless gnomes on my back and no matter how I build the deck I keep getting smoked.
That part was challenging. I had to go Diamond/Ruby with plenty of removals (if I had blood I would have gone blood definitely). It was a tough road but doable. I find out anything more than 9-12 gnomes a run is too much burden.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Elf Warrior is hilarious. With the various +Charge/-Cost talents you really consistently ramp into shit way too early.

Kind of a bummer that most of the good aggro orcs are Clerics and Rangers, though.

I made it past the Wormoids with all 60 Gnomes on my back as Coyotl Cleric by going east. Key was playing cards that enter play early and grow bigger, to minimize the number of cards I played each turn. Righteous Paladin and the Cleric Talents for Lifelink and a Healing Altar to turn my land drops into lifegain were pretty key to pushing through shit while ignoring my horrible gnome-clogged deck. Whole lot of sitting on a hand full of blessings and gnomes waiting to get down to only one worm tunneled.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Besides my one draft a week I really don't play this game, so I don't know anything at all about the economy or drops or whatever else is going on. You guys are a lot more knowledgable so tell me if I need to be doing something different than what I have been: I have 500 plat from selling some cards ages ago, have not used it for anything. I have 7k gold from arena and now the campaign. I had more gold before but spent it "rolling" the chests. I didnt know what I was doing and may have wasted it. Right now for chests I'm sitting with the following chests and no clue how to best use them:

2x paidspin legendary armies of myth
33x paidspin rare shards of fate
10x paidspin rare shattered destiny
13x paidspin rare armies of myth
1x paidspin uncommon shards of fate
1x paidspin uncommon shattered destiny
23x paidspin uncommon armies of myth
3x paidspin common shards of fate
2x paidspin common shattered destiny
33x paidspin common armies of myth

51 unopened boosters shards of fate
4 unopened boosters shattered destiny
11 unopened boosters armies of myth

velk

Trakanon Raider
Chests are pretty much a trap, don't spend gold on them if you want to build up a deck. Absolutely don't roll legendary chests unless you are really desperate for the exclusive primal sleeves.

Boring as it is, the best way of building a deck is probably selling your boosters on the AH and then buying the cards you want.

It's more efficient to use the boosters for drafts than selling them, but they have a platinum cost for each run. Obviously worth it if you like drafting.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a dozen or so hex sleeves from Gencon the first and second time they were there. Anyone know where they can be sold at? Can they be sold in the market place?