Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)

Siliconemelons

I will do a bigger reply later, as yes I love talking about this. But I am in my phone and I already have horrible typos and grammar - phone typing does not help.

If you have not watched the anime, it is very worth it- it really is great and the best most recent Highlander content after 1,3 and the series

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I will do a bigger reply later, as yes I love talking about this. But I am in my phone and I already have horrible typos and grammar - phone typing does not help.

If you have not watched the anime, it is very worth it- it really is great and the best most recent Highlander content after 1,3 and the series

I'm guessing the anime is different from Highlander: The Animated Series back in the 90's with Quinton Macleod? I think that show might have been post-apocalypse. Man, the dudes who created Highlander really wanted to do post-apocalypse shite for some reason.

Never saw the Animated Series, heard it was decent for the time.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I'm guessing the anime is different from Highlander: The Animated Series back in the 90's with Quinton Macleod? I think that show might have been post-apocalypse. Man, the dudes who created Highlander really wanted to do post-apocalypse shite for some reason.

Never saw the Animated Series, heard it was decent for the time.
The animated series is interesting and I have not seen it, just the first chunk of the first episode - but watched some commentary on it.

I was referring to the anime movie Highlander: The Search For Vengance

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I posted this clip somewhere else here, but you faggots get it again for reminding me how awful this movie is. Any movies in the series after this one are inherently not worse because there was no bar to fall under after this atrocity. I saw this in the theaters after loving the first movie, and I remember our entire group looking at each other with looks of "What the fuck is this shit??"

There are worse movies, but not many, and none of them that I can think of had a good movie to start the series off like the original Highlander.

Here, enjoy the most nonsensical thing Michael Ironside has ever done. And that's saying a LOT.
queen text GIF

Siliconemelons

Also a huge Highlander guy. Not many things I have "fandom" for: Pretty much just Highlander, Terminator, and the show 24, in that order.

Never seen the Renegade Cut of HL2. I have it (thanks to getting a series DVD set). It's much easier to find than the theatrical version, which I've only been able to find on Youtube. Can't say much about the Renegade Cut until I see it. Original HL2 is full of issues, from Planet Zeist to just reviving Ramirez for no reason and giving him magical electric powers. It was cool to see Ramirez in the modern era though, not knowing what an airplane was. Wonder what kind of reaction he had to finding out about toilets.

Highlander: The Series is where it's at, and the is IMO best part of the Highlander mythology. Yeah, the first movie is great, but if you stacked it up against the various movie-length multi-episode arcs in the show, I'd say HL1 would only be like the 2nd or 3rd best out of the group. The show has some extremely good arcs in it. The Kalas arc (five episodes) that introduces Methos is probably the show's highest point and culminates with the Duncan/Kalas fight on top of the Eiffel Tower that most people probably think of when they think of the show. Duncan losing to Kalas in the opera house was also a pretty rad moment, since I could probably count his lost (and almost-lost) fights in the show on one hand. Kalas, Kronos, Grayson, Otavio Consone, Brian Cullen. Yep, one hand.

One of the reasons the show is so good is, like you said, they stick within the mythology of HL1 very closely and don't do anything crazy or wack. A woman who can see the future is about as far off the reservation as it ever gets. They do retcon Connor being the last immortal (by necessity) and have Connor vs Kurgan just be a huge clash of immortals that kicked off the Gathering, like you said. The whole Gathering concept was pretty much abandoned after season 1 though and it went from "only a certain amount of us are left and there can be only one" to "there are lots of us left and more are born all the time and there can be only one but lol that's probably not happening"

Oh yeah, Endgame... the main problem with it I totally agree with you on. The Sanctuary was a useless fucking concept if it wasn't consecrated holy ground. A place where immortals could sleep safely in perpetuity through the eons was an interesting idea, especially for those who were tired of life like Connor. If it wasn't holy ground, then WTF?

Except I'm pretty sure it WAS holy ground and the movie was saying Jacob Kell was just SO BAD that he could just ignore the holy ground rule and kill there regardless. He does refer to it as "the so-called sanctuary" which makes me wonder if it wasn't actually blessed and he was aware of this fact somehow.

The other bad thing about Endgame was that Faith was just this out-of-nowhere woman from Duncan's past. Would have worked better to have Amanda from the series in this role, under Kell's influence for whatever reason. They also said that Duncan and Faith had been married for one day, which directly contradicted the show's repeated assertions that he had never been married and, according to the psychic woman, never would be.

The thing about this is... HL2 at least feels like a Highlander movie, even if it butchers its own lore and makes no sense. It's got the Highlander vibe, overconfident immortals, sword fights. The Source has none of that, and no vibe. The Source feels like a rejected horror movie script that someone repurposed into a Highlander movie. Duncan loses his sword almost immediately, loses his immortality by the halfway point, and the rest is him and a bunch of randos running away from cannibal hordes and a monster with inhuman speed leaping between trees like the predator.

It has nothing to do with Highlander. Matter of fact I'd bet money it's a rejected horror script.

Anna also comes out of nowhere as the latest "love of Duncan's life" we've never heard of before. Would have made a lot more sense if this had been Anne from the show. Still doesn't make sense because wasn't he with Faith after the last movie (who should have been Amanda)? Jesus Christ... this series can be bad.

One thing about this: Dark Quickening and Richie's Death were two different events. The DQ happens late in season 4, Richie happens at the end of season 5. The apocalypse and evil power taking over the world stuff was supposed to be Season 6, but had nothing to do with the DQ that I know of.

It's possible Richie was intended to be killed during the DQ, and that the DQ was going to last longer, but they thought better of it (killing Richie was a pants-on-head retarded decision, BTW).

The creators of Highlander really wanted the show to be a "cop show" and they also had designs on eventually making it post-apocalyptic. You can see elements of both in season 1 and season 6 respectively, with neither going anywhere. Adrian Paul nixed both ideas, AFAIK, because he knew the fans would shit all over it.

The Raven spinoff was where they finally got to fulfill all their cop show fantasies. That show was pretty bad. It got decent towards the very end (like the last five episodes) of the one season it got, but it had already been cancelled. I think an S2 might have been solid, given the trajectory it was on. Oh well.

Not sure about the whole apocalypse thing and Ahriman and all that crap, but the idea of all the immortals being corrupted and coming out to take over the world IS kind of interesting. Especially if it had led to Methos being the big final boss, playing off of how he used to be one of the Four Horsemen. They got to that in S5 and it was good, but imagine if it had been during a big DQ arc where Methos is essentially reverted to his vicious past-self? I always had a feeling he'd turn evil again by the end of the show, but he didn't (and I'm glad he didn't, and he should have been the one to get a spinoff).

Interesting idea you have here that The Source is basically just repurposed ideas from the original plan for Season 6 (and 7?) of the show. Adrian Paul put the kibosh on it in S6 and then left so there was no S7, but I'm pretty sure the whole plan was a post-apocalyptic S6 and S7 probably with Methos as the end bad guy.

Even if The Source does have some DNA from this scrapped storyline idea, that DNA is being fitted into what appears to be a rejected horror movie script. I can't really give that movie credit for anything.

So I started to re-watch The Source, as when I first watched it, it was a bootleg of I think the Russian version that was released first, then the SciFi version, then the DVD version - I started remembering some of the changes.

In the tower fight, the guardian had like, neo from the matrix cant talk , mouth binding things... it was odd... that is why the quick flashes to his face during that scene look so horrible, as it was CGI over CGI, as apparently they didn't just have the guy in the makeup, take a normal shot of his face and then CGI the flesh covering over his mouth- they just like blue painters taped him to make the initial CGI easier, then when they reverted it because it was even beyond stupid for them, they had to make his face from cgi...lol

2nd was fighting mcloud for the first time outside the fallen tower (HELLO JOE), the guardian in the Russian version pulls his sword out from his own chest...in the final, he just kinda, POOF appears the sword from nowhere.

I only got to the elders temple before I had to deal with kids. But it did help me recall the actual core plot.. and how horrible anything The Guardian says is, just like..edit out ALL HIS LINES and the movie is better for it.

When the planets align (not in a natural occurrence, as Reggie is like WTF!?) the astral energy (FROM ZEIST, JK JK lol) causes The Source to appear. It appeared a long long LLOONNG time ago. The Elder and The Guardian plus a few other immortals sought out The Source (also implied they were the last immortals, and this was even pre-history, so if you think in Bible terms, this was before Adam and Eve). Along the way they fight and kill each other and they show 3 remaining, one a female- the black dude is The Elder, the dude with the funny skullcap is obviously The Guardian and I do not think they mention what happens to the female, but I believe its implied Anna is that immortal reincarnated or something that's why she has the visions and is told to seek /The Sauce/ - so something happens, The Guardian gets absorbed and stuck in The Source because reasons, The Elder gets..fat and sad and whatever sits there forever so he can tell people to seek the sauce.

So far the movie is coherent, I believe it goes off the rails after the dock scene... I mean Anna climbing the window into the elder temple is dumb...but yeah.

In interviews they explained they wanted The Guardian to be a primal animal like force, and yes he is to haunt and stalk those seeking the source...because...the movie needs a bad guy.

Edit: Okay so I pulled up the wiki

The plot synopsis is actually better than the movie as executed...

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Rajaah Rajaah - yeah I mixed up the dark quickening...and Richie- but somewhere I got the idea that, while as you say its not mentioned until later- that what duncan exped was part of, or similar to the DQ - but I guess it was merely an illusion he fell for whole cloth... it has been a long time since I watched the series... time to remedy that after I finish The Sauce

Also a funny note, my wife's mom LLLLOOOOVVEEEDDD highlander the series, because of Adrian Paul I guess or something - but they really managed to hit a balance and perfect storm with The Series.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So where does end game poop all over established lore like HL2? Sanctuary... The fact that the watcher's immortal Sanctuary nap time pod place is NOT holy ground makes negative 500% sense - it holds no logic that the watches would make it NOT on holy ground and it holds zero logic that any immortal would sign up to enter the sanctuary.

it's been a long time since I've seen end game, but I legit thought the point of that was to show how that kimmie didn't respect the rules. Had they ever shown a consequence for attacking or killing on holy ground? I don't recall one. It was just a rule they all abided by. Except for this guy, whoever he was. Highlander always had a lot of under explained things. Like why were they all orphans? Who's running around shitting out immortals and leaving them on people's doorsteps?

The Raven spinoff was where they finally got to fulfill all their cop show fantasies. That show was pretty bad. It got decent towards the very end (like the last five episodes) of the one season it got, but it had already been cancelled. I think an S2 might have been solid, given the trajectory it was on. Oh well.

fuck you, Raven was damn good. I didn't even know about it when it first came out. I discovered it and watched it for the first time a few years ago. It failed because they didn't want to promote it. I think there were some stories about amanda being a ultra super mega bitch. I wouldn't rate it above the main series, but it stacks up well against any other cop show.

• 1Picard

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The animated series is interesting and I have not seen it, just the first chunk of the first episode - but watched some commentary on it.

I was referring to the anime movie Highlander: The Search For Vengance

I don't think I even knew about this, or if I did I didn't pay it any thought. I'll give it a watch if I can find it.

Rajaah Rajaah - yeah I mixed up the dark quickening...and Richie- but somewhere I got the idea that, while as you say its not mentioned until later- that what duncan exped was part of, or similar to the DQ - but I guess it was merely an illusion he fell for whole cloth... it has been a long time since I watched the series... time to remedy that after I finish The Sauce

Also a funny note, my wife's mom LLLLOOOOVVEEEDDD highlander the series, because of Adrian Paul I guess or something - but they really managed to hit a balance and perfect storm with The Series.

Yeah, The Series really is damn good. Too many people write it off because it isn't the first movie. I liken it to Buffy and how the series took on a life of its own and ended up being great.

how horrible anything The Guardian says is, just like..edit out ALL HIS LINES and the movie is better for it.

Guardian starts out as this prowling menace, all sinister and mysterious. Then as soon as he opens his mouth, the movie is basically over. "This is the end of tiiiiiiiime!" (What?) "HELLO JOE!" (How does he have any idea who Joe is?) "Duncan Maclooooood" (Is the Guardian Jim Carrey?)

I don't know about Anna being the third ancient reincarnated. It's possible that was the idea on the drawing board, but the final movie doesn't really explain it. I think they had a lot of ideas and didn't have the talent to execute them in a coherent way.

Siliconemelons

it's been a long time since I've seen end game, but I legit thought the point of that was to show how that kimmie didn't respect the rules. Had they ever shown a consequence for attacking or killing on holy ground? I don't recall one. It was just a rule they all abided by. Except for this guy, whoever he was. Highlander always had a lot of under explained things. Like why were they all orphans? Who's running around shitting out immortals and leaving them on people's doorsteps?

fuck you, Raven was damn good. I didn't even know about it when it first came out. I discovered it and watched it for the first time a few years ago. It failed because they didn't want to promote it. I think there were some stories about amanda being a ultra super mega bitch. I wouldn't rate it above the main series, but it stacks up well against any other cop show.

The Raven I think gets a super bad rap, I watched the first few episodes a year or so ago when it popped up on one of the steaming services... It felt like the highlander TV show, but with her and a cop bro- I want to pick it back up.

Also, immortals are born like everyone else - they become immortal "during a violent death" - although the violent thing kinda is ambiguous, and /I think/ suicide does not count? same with old age, sickness etc. you have to kinda "be killed" - the show adds in that immortals can sense a "to become" immortal - this is not /stated/ in the movie (HL1) but it is implied by The Kurgan seeking out to kill Connor and take his head- although he is not an immortal yet. This also then begs a ton of questions once you get to trying to be the one, if you have to take out active immortals and latent immortals (that's the word they use, latent immortals) its a never ending cycle.

This is explored a lot in the series, (and endgame with killing his new yet again woman...but didn't that also happen in the series?) they have a kid (Sympathy for the Devil style) they have reluctant ones, they even have the dude that got shipwrecked and walked on the bottom of the ocean forever to get back and died like 129874912870412 times drowning.

Also I agree that on End Game and The Source they should stop popping up new women for Duncan, even if you get a different actress keep it the same character, it makes more sense... and would "AKSHUALLY" make the ending of The Source better and more meaningful.

Unpopular take: I liked the setting of The Series in the city way more than Paris on the boat...sorry not sorry.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

If you say so. I just remember it being "cop show cop show cop show" and Amanda being completely unappealing compared to her The Series persona.

I think The Raven was on super late night USA Network (like 1 AM or something) during its initial airing and even most Highlander fans didn't know it existed.

Yeah Amanda's actress was a mega bitch on set. She hated her co-star for no apparent reason and showed up for the first day of filming with short blond hair (she was supposed to have long black hair, hence... "The Raven") and they couldn't really do anything about it. She also claimed that the CIA was keeping tabs on her and thought people on set might be watching her. Anyone who knows their MKUltra might find all of this weirdly familiar, especially the suddenly showing up with short blonde hair.

Oh yeah, also, apparently Bill Clinton raped her once back when she was Miss America, before she was on Highlander: The Series. She kept it super quiet and a friend of hers went to the press about it and it got no traction. Not sure if true, but it was pretty believable when I read about the time and circumstances, also explains why she thought the government was watching her all the time.

Biggest unexplained thing: How are they actually getting more powerful from winning fights? You behead another immortal and you get his power, but I don't think it's ever totally confirmed what that means, not in the first few movies or even the show.

Early in the show it's like the more immortals you slay, the stronger you are, but does it go by quality or quantity? Like if a noob immortal were to somehow slay Duncan, would they be just as formidable as him afterwards, or is that just one kill so they're still low-level?

Then as the show goes on, it's more like killing someone just gets you their wisdom and knowledge, everything they were and everything they know is conferred to you. So you slay a guy who was a martial arts master, now you know what he knew. Presumably. I don't think they ever really showed how this worked in practice, except for the Dark Quickening where killing really bad guys over and over will cause their evil personas to build up in your mind until you turn evil yourself.

Then Endgame finally tries to explain the "getting their power" stuff by making it like a DBZ power level, where the more kills you have, the more powerful you are. Duncan had (looking it up) 174 kills, which makes sense given that he killed about 75 immortals over the course of the show's 125 episodes or so. Connor had like 262 kills, which makes sense since he was way more of a headhunter than the relatively pacifistic Duncan. Jacob Kell had 665 kills, mainly so that Duncan could be his 666th kill (he was saving Connor for last) and was described as "way out of your league" to Duncan, who is already considered one of the strongest immortals out there.

However, then when Duncan and Connor combined their strength, the result was able to defeat Kell (barely). Which indicates that the power increases aren't incremental by number, but rather more quality over quantity. Defeating a super-strong opponent gives you a huge boost. This also means that once Duncan defeated Kell, he'd basically be the strongest immortal in the world and completely unstoppable. Another reason I like for Endgame to be, well, the end of the series. There's no credible threat to him after that, he's going to live forever and be The Last if such a thing actually happens in show canon.

Then again, Endgame also kinda contradicts itself by treating Kell/Duncan/Connor's kills like a numeric power level, then later in the movie you have powered-up Duncan basically at a power level of 436 from absorbing Connor, and thus able to have a chance against Kell and his 665. Like, Duncan doesn't go from 174 to 175 in power, Connor counts for way more. So I'm guessing quality matters. Maybe quantity only really matters in the sense that you presumably have more quality in there. Then again the show regularly has immortals hunting for n00b immortals to get easy kills, and why would they do that if basically no power was gained?

.................well, point is, none of this is ever really explained or consistent.

Also have a theory that age affects strength, since the older immortals in the show (the ones that are 2000+) are always super strong. Though that might just be because they presumptively had high head counts.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Biggest unexplained thing: How are they actually getting more powerful from winning fights? You behead another immortal and you get his power, but I don't think it's ever totally confirmed what that means, not in the first few movies or even the show.

Also have a theory that age affects strength, since the older immortals in the show (the ones that are 2000+) are always super strong. Though that might just be because they presumptively had high head counts.

hah way overthinking it. That was the beauty of highlander. They brought us along for the ride without as little explanation as possible. I saw it like grinding levels in an MMO. You can go to the forest and kill a million deer, or go hunting bosses. Also keep in mind there was no manual. Everything any of them said was their best guess based on their own observations.

I think methos had a high head count even though he was a pacifist when we met him. But maybe he was milestone leveling.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Oh, also the holy ground fighting - I know it is shown a few times... generally as an out of control quickening that is going to kill the immortals in combat. HL3? and some time in the series? With that- yes, in sanctuary because of how the immortals are sleeping standing up with their necks wide open conveniently - I see how he could get 1 or 2 kills before 1) the normal quickening happens -- or/and 2) the bad don't do that effect would have stopped them (during said quickening if they manage to get one kill)

What I fan theory say- they should have done with the sanctuary...and it is kinda a given with how he killed his followers for power (as did van peebles) - is that he would break into sanctuary, have his followers quickly take out 1-2 immortals each before "the bad mojo" happens, the he kills the survivors of his followers to then gain all that power.

Yes, the "kill count number" was dumb, and they never really TRULY explain "what immortals get" when they power up- it was vaguely knowledge and skills - never really like physically stronger or faster. Quickenings do seem to rejuvenate, but mostly just bringing you back to "normal"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Raven I think gets a super bad rap, I watched the first few episodes a year or so ago when it popped up on one of the steaming services... It felt like the highlander TV show, but with her and a cop bro- I want to pick it back up.

I guess I'll give Raven another shot at some point. I've watched The Series probably 3 times through over the decades and only saw the Raven spinoff once. I just remember it being dull as hell, Amanda not seeming like herself (also she was really OP suddenly, while in The Series she was shown to be fairly weak and mostly good at avoiding fights / escaping / cheating). The last five or so episodes are good because it stopped being a cop show and started going by the traditional The Series format (she meets someone from the past, we get flashbacks, they battle), but by then the show was DOA anyway. I think they even called the last episode "Dead on Arrival"

This is explored a lot in the series, (and endgame with killing his new yet again woman...but didn't that also happen in the series?) they have a kid (Sympathy for the Devil style) they have reluctant ones, they even have the dude that got shipwrecked and walked on the bottom of the ocean forever to get back and died like 129874912870412 times drowning.

There's some real "fate worse than death" stuff in Highlander. Being immortal seems all awesome, like you have nothing to be afraid of, until you realize that it's possible you'll get chained up at the bottom of the ocean forever or something like that. Apparently if you're in a death situation like no oxygen, you don't just stay dead until you can breathe again, you die and reawaken over and over.

I think the guy you're thinking of was the nazi that got chained up and dumped in the water and ended up drowning over and over for like, decades.

Then there was the corrupt captain who got stranded on a deserted island and spent several decades starving to death over and over.

Also in one of the books (or maybe it was an episode draft that went unused, IDK) there was an immortal in ancient Egypt who was after Methos and was too strong for Methos to beat, so Methos somehow locked him in a sarcophagus and buried him. Guy then spends 3000 years trapped and unable to get out, until archaeologists find him. He's basically an insane rampaging beast at that point and goes off to find Methos. Should have really been an episode. A Methos spinoff would have been incredible.

Unpopular take: I liked the setting of The Series in the city way more than Paris on the boat...sorry not sorry.

Yeah that's definitely the unpopular take, lawl. The Paris episodes (last 9 of every season, I think) are generally regarded as way superior to the first 13 in Vancouver. Show has a completely different, much more historical vibe in the Paris episodes. They filmed in some really rad locations like old ruins and monasteries.

That said, I think Season 4 actually has better episodes in the first half than the second half. It's the one season where the Vancouver episodes are superior to the Paris episodes IMO.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I know this is tangent, but sorry.

The first episode (is it 2 parts?) of the show was meant to be a movie- so if you take that and jump to end game, it kinda fits.

I remember watching a behind the scenes and Richard Moll was all super invested in his character and how he is taking the figurative sword (torch) from the kurgan and all this... its like he really really was invested in this being a big movie break. How his character likes to play with its victims/target like a evil cat and stuff. The commentary was funny, because it was like everyone in the cast and crew kinda realized it was "just a TV show" halfway though filing the first "episode", but no one told Richard.

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The collectible card game was pretty fun even if they were dicks and made ultra rares staples

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
hah way overthinking it. That was the beauty of highlander. They brought us along for the ride without as little explanation as possible. I saw it like grinding levels in an MMO. You can go to the forest and kill a million deer, or go hunting bosses. Also keep in mind there was no manual. Everything any of them said was their best guess based on their own observations.

I think methos had a high head count even though he was a pacifist when we met him. But maybe he was milestone leveling.

It is all a mystery yes and that's part of the appeal of Highlander, nothing is really explained because it's all just "a kind of magic" and whatnot. There are some inconsistencies though and we really don't know what "power" means in the context of immortal-slaying gains.

I've wondered about Methos' head count for a long time. Even though he goes way out of his way to avoid fights, it's gotta be pretty high given his age. We don't even really know how old he is because the "5000 years" is just a rough estimate. They didn't start keeping time until about 4000 years ago so he basically took that and guessed he had another 1000 years before that, "but it might have been more" IIRC.

Kronos is about 4000 IIRC and probably the second-oldest in the show. He definitely had a huge head count, probably the highest of anyone in the show.

I really liked the episode with Grayson and Darius. Needed to be an arc, not just a one-off. Tremendous episode. Darius probably had a ton of kills as a violent destructive man, but once he swore off fighting and became a priest, he went 1900 years without any. Grayson on the other hand never went good-guy and continued slaughtering in the interim. Grayson was the perfect "Roman general immortal" and had spot-on face structure. Guy looked like he belonged on an ancient coin. He also beat the everloving shit out of Duncan which was the first time we saw Duncan actually face a superior opponent.

Well, I could talk about this all afternoon but I gotta get some work done.

I know this is tangent, but sorry.

The first episode (is it 2 parts?) of the show was meant to be a movie- so if you take that and jump to end game, it kinda fits.

I remember watching a behind the scenes and Richard Moll was all super invested in his character and how he is taking the figurative sword (torch) from the kurgan and all this... its like he really really was invested in this being a big movie break. How his character likes to play with its victims/target like a evil cat and stuff. The commentary was funny, because it was like everyone in the cast and crew kinda realized it was "just a TV show" halfway though filing the first "episode", but no one told Richard.

That first bad guy (Slan Quince) was pretty memorable. He was super over the top like Kurgan. After that most of the series villains were just regular guys, no real over the top monsters (well, except that one guy who slaughtered Duncan's tribe, he was a movie-like villain). The best villains were the cold killer types, like Grayson and Kalas.

HM for Xavier St Cloud, maybe the best recurring villain in the show. This super-classy gentleman on the surface, stone-cold bloodthirsty assassin underneath. He'd make sure to be very polite to his victims before murdering them. Only issue with Xavier is I feel like he was never as big of a threat as he should have been. Duncan defeated him pretty handily every time they fought.

Siliconemelons

Yes if you talk power levels Slan (Richard mill) beat Connor - I know it was for the show and to set up Duncan but well he did.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yes if you talk power levels Slan (Richard mill) beat Connor - I know it was for the show and to set up Duncan but well he did.

He also cheated though. IIRC Connor had him on the ropes before he launched a hidden projectile from his sword hilt (which is a real thing they developed in either India or China, can't remember, a few hundred years ago).

Decent list here, though it's missing a few obvious ones like Kronos. Also Kanwulf never struck me as any kind of major threat.

Siliconemelons

Not done with the list, but the one reminded me... I forgot if it was him (Haresh Clay) or another, but it was a dude the Duncan really had no quarl with and didnt really want to kill but Richie somehow got him into it and it was a reluctant kill.

The series really did shine in variation on a simple same theme - that is one of its legs I suppose, and Adrian Paul, as I am constantly reminded by the gay and women fans lulz