Hiking: Patagonia or Alaska

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I'm planning a little hiking trip. The relevant factors will be:

1. How easy it is to get a group of people to the area (I'll probably invite 100 folks on Facebook and 6 will come)
2. The pure awesomeness of the hiking experience

Everything else is pretty much a non-factor.

I'm also entertaining other locations. I'd really like to do Kilimanjaro but that probably has to wait for next year.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yosemite? Everest base camp trek? Grand Canyon? Zion? Sounds like you want to do something more abroad, exotic, and/or backcountry but I'm not sure how fleshed out this plan is from your post.

prescient

This plan has not been fleshed out at all. For Alaska I'm thinking the Kesugi Ridge hike. Zion is definitely on the list, and I was thinking of taking a long weekend to fly out and hike it for 3 days this summer. Obviously that idea is still half baked as well.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yosemite would be a fun place to spend a few days with some people too if you haven't been. Some good day hikes. Do Yosemite Falls one day and Half Dome another maybe.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Prescient,

I am big into hiking/mountaineering myself. When are you planning on doing this trip? Would you welcome a stranger to join the group, we can meet first so you know I'm not a total dick or whatever too. I only have 1 buddy who does this kind of stuff so usually it's just me and my dog, I'd love to go on a trip that has more folks involved.

As far as the technical aspects of it I'm pretty sure I can keep whatever pace you guys need no problem and I have all my own gear and I can even supply tons of "group" gear items and loaners to those that need it. I've been at this kind of stuff for awhile so the collection is a bit absurd. Get in touch with me over PM or[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */if you are open to the idea.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Somewhere fucking warm. Do people hike in warmer places? Patagonia will be in winter "this summer", so that just horrifies me. Also I hear it's windy. Wind + cold = hell on earth.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Patagonia generally looks like a pretty extreme and potentially dangerous/uncomfortable place from what little I've seen. Strikingly beautiful in its way, but I never got the impression it was something you would enter into casually.

As far as your original point of ease to organize and get people to agree to, it doesn't seem like an ideal place. Neither does Kilimanjaro or anywhere else that's going to require passports or overseas travel. There's plenty of amazing stuff in the continental US, especially out west. Alaska is epic too, and more than most people get to experience in their lives for wilderness so you can't go wrong with that either.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Kilimanjaro is worth it if you want to spend the money.

edit: I'm also considering doing Aconcagua next year, if anyone has any info.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't really have any info, other than a friend attempted it, got within 200 meters of the summit and had to turn back because of weather. So prepare for that possibility.

Closer to home, you may want to look at the West Coast Trail on Vancouver island. I'm currently preparing to hike it with the girlfriend in August. It's nothing too crazy, and has mellowed significantly the past few years compared to what it was in years past (more ladders etc than there were previously I believe is the main difference). It's only about 45 miles or so, and should take 5-7 days depending on your pace. Extremely scenic, and considered to be one of the top hikes in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Trail

prescient

I've pretty much decided on Alaska for this summer and Kilimanjaro (thinking Peak Planet for the guide) with a friend who is already sold on it in 2014 or 2015. I've always wanted to do AK and while Patagonia would be epic, but it's going to be expensive for folks who don't have the luxury of free travel.

Trying to get my adventures in before I end up too old to have them!

Also, the West Coast Trail looks awesome. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Heh yeah, I have too many hobbies and not nearly enough time. Age isn't or at least shouldn't be a problem, at least for this kind of stuff (downhill mountain biking is a wee bit different). So long as you treat your body well, you should be able to do this kind of shit well in to your 60's.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I've pretty much decided on Alaska for this summer and Kilimanjaro (thinking Peak Planet for the guide) with a friend who is already sold on it in 2014 or 2015. I've always wanted to do AK and while Patagonia would be epic, but it's going to be expensive for folks who don't have the luxury of free travel.

Trying to get my adventures in before I end up too old to have them!

Also, the West Coast Trail looks awesome. I'll have to keep it in mind.
Your experience of Kilimanjaro will GREATLY depend on the route you take. Choose wisely and don't skimp on the $ here.

prescient

Which route did you take? Machame sounds like the winner to me as it's the most scenic and I'm not so worried about the difficulty.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Which route did you take? Machame sounds like the winner to me as it's the most scenic and I'm not so worried about the difficulty.
Yes, we did Machame too (do either Machame or Lemosho), but there's actually 2 different routes when you make your final ascent on Machame and Lemosho. Do the one that includes the Western Breach/Crater Camp - you won't regret it. I can post pictures if you're interested.

Nevele

If it's any help, I met an older lady this last week down in Costa Rica. World traveler, been all abouts: basically every continent except Africa and Antarctica. She was in decent shape for her age (56), but we're talking yoga-fit, not the 'I'm going to go hike 50 miles' fit. Of all the places she's been, and all the stories she had, her absolute favorite trip was to Patagonia. Her and some travel friends (so imagine a trip of wealthy old hippy ladies) went there a couple years ago, and she said it was breath taking the entire time.

So I'm not saying you've got to do it in the middle of it's winter season... but probably best not to scratch it off the list completely.