Hip-Hop/Rap thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been on a hip hop journey last few months, never listened to anything in this genre before - never appealed for some reason. Other than doing the white thing and listening to Em's releases but that never did much for me either. Would you believe it took Kanye's last couple of albums to kick start it? Even though it's so far removed from the hip hop I'm at right now.

So I've got a whole genre to explore - started with West coast rappers - Dre/Snoop/Pac. . .

Having fresh ears on Dre's 3 albums, I'm not sure why the hate above on his new album.

The Chronic, that shit's just got such a great vibe you could kick back to. It's fantastic. $20 sack pyramid has to be the best thingeveron a disc.
2001 - hot damn these tunes. They are the shit everyone's heard on the radio or tv or other people playing, and I've never bothered paying attention. Snoop/Em murderous talent, Hittman was good too but I've had a look at his bio and he basically doesn't exist? Oh well. Timeless tunes.
Compton - Vibe is way different, way more dark/serious. Is it really the sequel to 2001? Not strictly speaking but it's got plenty of killer tunes. Talk about it, All in a day's work, Darkside/Gone, Issues, Medicine Man.... just produced fantastically with killer hook and rappers delivering. Just the vibe - this style isn't going to produce any timeless classics. I still dig it. Maybe I'm too ignorant!

Probably have to get Kendricks works next, his Darkside/Gone and Deep water verses trump the lot. Keeping an eye out for Jon Connor, hopefully doesn't end up the way of Hittman.
go through everything 2pac

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Been on a hip hop journey last few months, never listened to anything in this genre before - never appealed for some reason. Other than doing the white thing and listening to Em's releases but that never did much for me either. Would you believe it took Kanye's last couple of albums to kick start it? Even though it's so far removed from the hip hop I'm at right now.

So I've got a whole genre to explore - started with West coast rappers - Dre/Snoop/Pac. . .

Having fresh ears on Dre's 3 albums, I'm not sure why the hate above on his new album.

The Chronic, that shit's just got such a great vibe you could kick back to. It's fantastic. $20 sack pyramid has to be the best thingeveron a disc.
2001 - hot damn these tunes. They are the shit everyone's heard on the radio or tv or other people playing, and I've never bothered paying attention. Snoop/Em murderous talent, Hittman was good too but I've had a look at his bio and he basically doesn't exist? Oh well. Timeless tunes.
Compton - Vibe is way different, way more dark/serious. Is it really the sequel to 2001? Not strictly speaking but it's got plenty of killer tunes. Talk about it, All in a day's work, Darkside/Gone, Issues, Medicine Man.... just produced fantastically with killer hook and rappers delivering. Just the vibe - this style isn't going to produce any timeless classics. I still dig it. Maybe I'm too ignorant!

Probably have to get Kendricks works next, his Darkside/Gone and Deep water verses trump the lot. Keeping an eye out for Jon Connor, hopefully doesn't end up the way of Hittman.
After all the more mainstream west coast stuff (NWA, Dre, Snoop, Tupac) make sure to check out The DOC - No One Can Do It Better. After that you can kinda look at the more alternative stuff from the West: Souls of Mischief is real dope, a lot more laid back.

Everyone has heard this song, The Pharcyde is fantastic, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde is one of the best hip-hop albums ever made.

Ras Kass is one of the better lyricist ever, but his stuff is quite a bit darker/very counter-culture socially conscious. This is one of his more laidback tracks, vibe is perfect.

zubdub_sl

shitlord

Compton isn't the sequel to 2001. 2001 was the sequel to The Chronic, obviously, and the last of the trilogy was supposed to be Detox. Of course with Dre giving his best beats away over the years to Em/50/Game in the early to mid 2000's, he ended up having to delay and delay Detox to the point where it had become something that would never live up to the hype. So Compton is more of a standalone album of his with a different vibe entirely. It's for sure his weakest album, but a solid album nonetheless. I'd give his first two albums 9.5+/10s and this one a light 8. I just think it wasn't what a lot of people expected and certainly not going to be considered a timeless classic like his first two. 2001 still sounds like it could come out tomorrow.

also, if you're going to dive into Kendrick don't sleep on his Overly Dedicated mixtape.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've been listening to the Ratatat remix volumes 1 & 2 a lot lately. They are old at this point (2004 and 2006) but I love their original shit and these remixes are done really well.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider

Usually the late night talk show performances of Hip Hop songs are always pretty lack luster, but damn if this version of Angel Duster isn't hype as fuck.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider

Meow the Jewels dropped today, the kickstarted remix album featuring cats....I don't even know.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I really like the Big Grams album, done a few play throughs. Meow the Jewels though, that album is just bizarre. It reminds me of one of the nightmare sequences from Tales from the Hood.

Nola

Trakanon Raider

that drank cup is lol
Lmao he said "hakuna matata". I love this. Hospin had the balls to speak the truth and he pretty much nailed it what rap is basically these days, bunch of garbage. I'm fortunate to experience when it was good and actually see "real" artists in concert like Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, NWA, Beastie Boys, 2Pac and LL Cool J ect. No macbook to play their music. Just two turntables and a crate full of vinyl records.

Don't know if you have you ever heard of Bizzle. He's a street/hard Christian rapper. Yeah kind of contradicts itself but his lyrics are real. Check out this song he made about Jay Z, Kanye and Rick Ross diss using Nas's Ether beat.

Bizzle (Christian Rapper) - Ether (Rick Ross, Kanye West Jay-Z!) - YouTube

zubdub_sl

shitlord
Lmao he said "hakuna matata". I love this. Hospin had the balls to speak the truth and he pretty much nailed it what rap is basically these days, bunch of garbage. I'm fortunate to experience when it was good and actually see "real" artists in concert like Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, NWA, Beastie Boys, 2Pac and LL Cool J ect. No macbook to play their music. Just two turntables and a crate full of vinyl records.

Don't know if you have you ever heard of Bizzle. He's a street/hard Christian rapper. Yeah kind of contradicts itself but his lyrics are real. Check out this song he made about Jay Z, Kanye and Rick Ross diss using Nas's Ether beat.

Bizzle (Christian Rapper) - Ether (Rick Ross, Kanye West Jay-Z!) - YouTube
Hopsin is the corniest dude in the game. His fanbase is comprised entirely of people like you-- the new rap is all garbage and my generation was real rap crowd. Young Thug's flow and music is way more original than anything Hopsin has put out. Hopsin is like a poor man's '98 Slim Shady but worse in every aspect, doesn't sell records, and has no co-signs. Of course you would link a Christian rapper who disses Jay-Z lmao. Yeah Jay-Z, what a fraud. Only has 3 classic albums and was considered the best rapper out of Brooklyn by Notorious BIG himself, but has the audacity to still have a career in today's "garbage" rap world.

There is no such thing as a "real" artist and a "fake" one. They're all just rappers. Not everything has to be super lyrical, have a socially conscience message, or that boom bap shit for it to be "real". And if Biggie and Pac were still alive they probably would been jumping on tracks with Kanye and other newer rappers that Hopsin likes to whine about.

If Hopsin is so aware of the rap game and so great, why can't he just put out an album that impacts hip hop in any way? Oh yeah, he can't, cuz he's not a good enough rapper or songwriter. All he can do is hacky satire raps making fun of Future when all Future was trying to do was make strip club music because thats what he enjoys and he's good at it.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Hopsin is the corniest dude in the game. His fanbase is comprised entirely of people like you-- the new rap is all garbage and my generation was real rap crowd. Young Thug's flow and music is way more original than anything Hopsin has put out. Hopsin is like a poor man's '98 Slim Shady but worse in every aspect, doesn't sell records, and has no co-signs. Of course you would link a Christian rapper who disses Jay-Z lmao. Yeah Jay-Z, what a fraud. Only has 3 classic albums and was considered the best rapper out of Brooklyn by Notorious BIG himself, but has the audacity to still have a career in today's "garbage" rap world.

There is no such thing as a "real" artist and a "fake" one. They're all just rappers. Not everything has to be super lyrical, have a socially conscience message, or that boom bap shit for it to be "real". And if Biggie and Pac were still alive they probably would been jumping on tracks with Kanye and other newer rappers that Hopsin likes to whine about.

If Hopsin is so aware of the rap game and so great, why can't he just put out an album that impacts hip hop in any way? Oh yeah, he can't, cuz he's not a good enough rapper or songwriter. All he can do is hacky satire raps making fun of Future when all Future was trying to do was make strip club music because thats what he enjoys and he's good at it.
WOW... You actually have the audacity to put Young Thug aka Young Booty and rap in the same sentence? Are you fucking serious? Let me guess you're in your late teens or early 20's? So yeah you would call this rap cause you grew up listening to this bullshit. I understand that and you don't know any better. Let's see how his gay ass will be in the next 2 years if he last that long like any "garbage rapper" that comes out. These retards don't make it past 2 albums, 3 if their lucky and then they fall off the face of the earth appearing on a reality show looking like a coon. Apparently you haven't experienced rap back in the 80's when it was referred to hip hop and the 90s when it was at its best. When you had artists like Outkast, NWA, Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, A tribe called quest, Ghetto Boys, BDP, Naughty by Nature, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Ice Cube, Onyx, UGK, EPMD and the list goes on. It's wasn't always about teh same old shit like money clothes, hoes, bling, guns and all that other bullshit. These guys didn't have social media promoting their music or uploading it to youtube. The grind was real back then.

Kanye stands out from rest of those retards. The guy was a producer and writer for many artists before he ever dropped a single. High School Dropout is a classic. He and Common are the best two rappers out of Chi-town. But you probably say *snicker* Chief Keef? I seriously doubt Pac and Biggie would make a single or perform with them today cause you don't see any rappers in their 40s still rapping unless they have to for financial reasons. Only one is big lip ass Jay Z and that cause of his wife when they did On the Run world tour.

And who gives a fuck about "Skripper" music and Future? LMAO. A woman can shake her ass on a pole to Thomas the Train theme song if she had to. The only banger he had was Karate Chop and you can barely understand his ass. He won't last like every other rapper coming out now. Every once in a while you will find one stands out but the rest are all the fucking same. Yung Booty, Future and Rich Homie Quan all sound the same. Oh but let me guess the lyrics don't matter as long the beat is dope right? RIGHT?! And yes LYRICS are what truly stands out. It's about beingsuper lyrical, have a socially conscience message, or that boom bap shit for it to be "real". When rappers are battle rapping, doing a cypher or dissing each other on tracks it ALWAYS about the lyrics not a a dope ass beat with a hook on it. You and rest of those coons can keep believing that bullshit. You have no fucking clue what hip hop was built on.