Home buying thread

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Penfed refi moving right along I like these guys.

Appraisal came in at 89 which I'm pretty pleased with bought it two years ago for 60. I changed the refi to get about 15k out which I'll use to do the kitchen and hopefully driveway

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
I had nothing but trouble with my Penfed credit card. I ended up closing the account and couldn't be happier.

Incidentally, that was my only credit card and I never applied for another one. I haven't had a CC for over a year now and doubt I'll ever have another.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hrmm that's interesting. What kind of trouble did you have? I have had a penfed credit card for about 4 years now and the only issue I had was when they had a "security breach" and had to close and re-issue my card. They also then turned around and paid for a 2 year subscription to an Identity Theft watchdog company which I thought was pretty amazing customer service

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Hrmm that's interesting. What kind of trouble did you have? I have had a penfed credit card for about 4 years now and the only issue I had was when they had a "security breach" and had to close and re-issue my card. They also then turned around and paid for a 2 year subscription to an Identity Theft watchdog company which I thought was pretty amazing customer service
That happened twice during the time that I had the card. Another time they had a computer error and closed my account randomly. They could not figure out how to reopen it, so I ended up opening a new account and getting a new card, again. So in the span of two years I had four cards issued.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I went to pay for a business lunch and the card was declined, very embarrassing. They placed a fraud alert on the account because of out of state purchases. I took a trip out of state three weeks before hand...

I called to close my account and they stated they would... but they never closed it. I ended up getting a bill a year later with a dormant account fee.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Me and the wife are going to begin looking at homes this year. We live in MA, so housing is pretty expensive and we're not sure where to begin. We literally know nothing about home buying beyond "we need to save money and then we need to spend it". Are there any good websites that go through the process in depth, including how much we should ideally save and spend? We make pretty good money I would say, so just looking to get started now.

Also, what are your thoughts on real estate agents that are friends? I have a friend that is an agent and would help us out, and I don't mind paying a friend, but not sure if it's a bad idea to mix friendship and business.

Vinen

God is dead
Me and the wife are going to begin looking at homes this year. We live in MA, so housing is pretty expensive and we're not sure where to begin. We literally know nothing about home buying beyond "we need to save money and then we need to spend it". Are there any good websites that go through the process in depth, including how much we should ideally save and spend? We make pretty good money I would say, so just looking to get started now.

Also, what are your thoughts on real estate agents that are friends? I have a friend that is an agent and would help us out, and I don't mind paying a friend, but not sure if it's a bad idea to mix friendship and business.
What are you looking for in a house? My wife and I just purchased a 650K house in the metro-Boston area. 650K is pretty entry for a place that isn't falling apart in any decent town around Boston.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This will be our first home and probably on the smaller side. Right now it's just me, her, and the dog with a potential for 1 or 2 children in the future. While we make decent money, we won't be living anywhere near Boston. I work over in Hopkinton, so anywhere around 495 is probably where we'll start. Most of my family is way down in Middleboro and coincidentally that's the cheapest market that I'd be willing to go with. As we move North on 495 the houses just continually rise in price.

Just looking for a 1 or 2 floor house with a few bedrooms, 1.5 bath, a decent yard we can fence in for the dog. Nothing crazy.

Vinen

God is dead
This will be our first home and probably on the smaller side. Right now it's just me, her, and the dog with a potential for 1 or 2 children in the future. While we make decent money, we won't be living anywhere near Boston. I work over in Hopkinton, so anywhere around 495 is probably where we'll start. Most of my family is way down in Middleboro and coincidentally that's the cheapest market that I'd be willing to go with. As we move North on 495 the houses just continually rise in price.

Just looking for a 1 or 2 floor house with a few bedrooms, 1.5 bath, a decent yard we can fence in for the dog. Nothing crazy.
You work for EMC ;-p? You should be fine to find a house in the 300-500 range then which meets your needs. Wife and I were restricted to Boston and surrounding towns due to her working in Harvard/Kendall Square.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah EMC
smile.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Housing on the coasts just absolutely baffles me, I don't know how people afford it. I know general salaries and wages are higher than here in the midwest but not 5-10x higher. A new 2000 square foot home with a 3 car garage on a good sized lot is like $200K here in the KC suburbs. Thats a million+ in Boston or DC or LA or San Fran. I guess people on the coasts are just used to spending a MUCH larger percent of income on housing? My wife and I only spend about 15% of our gross income on our house payment and we feel like we wouldn't want to go a whole lot higher than that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
When the wife and I started looking for our first home we already had about a billion and a half hours of HGTV behind us, and all of their staged home buying shows. Really all it did was let us vocalize to each other what our wants and needs were as we started looking for ourselves. That was helpful when communicating to our agent. I think we really came up (by that I mean agreed on) with three main things:

1. Price
2. Location
3. Physical stuff (sq ft, # bed rooms, # baths, etc...)

That way when we gave our requirements to the agent we didn't waste a lot of time on houses that were way out of our price range or just didn't fit our location and style. Also luckily we had two other couples at work just go through their 1st home buying process. The referred us to their loan officer who was great in explaining the loan process, the financials, etc... At least down here in Little Rock the market and community is very small. Our loan officer was like, "oh who is your agent? Her! Here let me tell you all sorts of gossip I know about her family from knowing them the past 20 years."

The most helpful thing with us was probably our Agent and loan officer honestly. Both came highly recommended from friends and locals and explained almost every step to us along the way. It made the experience very comfortable and was much better than any of the websites we read in trying to get prepared.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Not a big fan of mixing friends and money. That said, before we even went to the mortgage broker (who I would talk to before talking to an agent, since he's the one you're going to hammer out price range with) my wife had spent a few months combing realtor sites looking at homes. It gave us a very very good feeling for what we could realistically expect for our price range, wrt footage, lot size, and extras. Ideally you'll want to be able to put at least 20% down to skip out on PMI (mortgage insurance). It's just a fee that's absolutely pointless to pay if you have the ability not to. Plus (duh) the more you put down the less you'll pay in interest. (this is where you'll get people saying stuff like "but you could invest the difference instead and make far more!" and if you're part of the 0.01% of Americans who actually invest and are good at it, it's even true)

As far as "the process", both your broker/bank and your agent should explain it all to you and answer any questions you have. It's actually a much simpler and more straight-forward process than I thought it would be (we bought our home 13 months ago). Dunno how your market is there, but don't fall in love too much with anything you find and bid on heh I think the home we finally got was bid #7-8.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Housing on the coasts just absolutely baffles me, I don't know how people afford it. I know general salaries and wages are higher than here in the midwest but not 5-10x higher. A new 2000 square foot home with a 3 car garage on a good sized lot is like $200K here in the KC suburbs. Thats a million+ in Boston or DC or LA or San Fran. I guess people on the coasts are just used to spending a MUCH larger percent of income on housing? My wife and I only spend about 15% of our gross income on our house payment and we feel like we wouldn't want to go a whole lot higher than that.
Living in the areas you mentioned is just silly as far as cost of living goes. The reason I still live on the East Coast is to inflate my salary, pump up my 401(k) (due to company matching) and buy performant rental properties so I can move to a cheaper place (like where you live) later in life and live like a king. As you said, salaries are typically 15-45% higher here, but cost of living is 65%+ higher, the ratios are off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Some of us don't have a choice. Tech industry outside of the coastal city areas basically doesn't exist. I was lucky enough to get a job in Ithaca and I took in spite of that because it was closer to family. Already I'm feeling like I'm regretting it. Can't use competition to get a better salary because local competition just doesn't exist.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Some of us don't have a choice. Tech industry outside of the coastal city areas basically doesn't exist. I was lucky enough to get a job in Ithaca and I took in spite of that because it was closer to family. Already I'm feeling like I'm regretting it. Can't use competition to get a better salary because local competition just doesn't exist.
Can't find a job that does remote work?

SAIDIN_sl

shitlord
I ended up settling on a home at 315k, seller pays all repairs (minor) and 12k in closing. They are unknowingly buying down my rate to 4% as well.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since you are buying a house, you aren't paying an agent. The only thing that can sour your relationship is if your friend half asses it and doesn't try to find you houses that you want because hey, we're friends and I can take it easy.