Home buying thread

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Is it a new house? Have you contacted the builder?

Yeah, he was the first I called when they mentioned permits. Basically he said his sub never closed out the permit on the sprinkler system. I told him the guy is called a subcontractor for a reason, because he is SUB-ordinate to you, and didn't give a shit who's fuckup it is, I need it fixed asap. Told him that the closing docs on the property represent a house that is fit to live in, and without the availability of water service that is not the case. Then told him if I had to stay at a hotel all weekend, he would be paying for it. He ended up meeting me down at the permit office to help get things sorted, and will be there tomorrow morning for the inspection.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, he was the first I called when they mentioned permits. Basically he said his sub never closed out the permit on the sprinkler system. I told him the guy is called a subcontractor for a reason, because he is SUB-ordinate to you, and didn't give a shit who's fuckup it is, I need it fixed asap. Told him that the closing docs on the property represent a house that is fit to live in, and without the availability of water service that is not the case. Then told him if I had to stay at a hotel all weekend, he would be paying for it. He ended up meeting me down at the permit office to help get things sorted, and will be there tomorrow morning for the inspection.
the lesson here is to never trust a bitch named lateesha to do anything correct.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
the lesson here is to never trust a bitch named lateesha to do anything correct.

They are ALL called Lateesha or some variant at the City, and they all speak in that black person English I only first encountered when moving to the States. Lateesha actually threatened to terminate my call, because when all she could offer me was some useless canned response, and no advice besides "talk to permit office", I tried to explain to her my plight for possibly some sympathy, explaining "Miss, I literally have no water, do you know what that's like? I'm peeing in the yard with my dog". At which point she accused me of disrespecting her and threatened to terminate the call.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They are ALL called Lateesha or some variant at the City, and they all speak in that black person English I only first encountered when moving to the States. Lateesha actually threatened to terminate my call, because when all she could offer me was some useless canned response, and no advice besides "talk to permit office", I tried to explain to her my plight for possibly some sympathy, explaining "Miss, I literally have no water, do you know what that's like? I'm peeing in the yard with my dog". At which point she accused me of disrespecting her and threatened to terminate the call.
lol you silly

You thought Lateesha would actually give a shit about you?

Lateesha is only good at one thing, finding ways to NOT work, and she almost did when you gave her a reason to terminate the call.

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Also black people gravitate to government jobs (at least around here, can't speak for everywhere) because it's literally impossible to get fired as a black person from a government job. So you venture into some "people of Walmart" shit when you venture into any City or County office in Dallas. Pretty fucking horrifying.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also black people gravitate to government jobs (at least around here, can't speak for everywhere) because it's literally impossible to get fired as a black person from a government job. So you venture into some "people of Walmart" shit when you venture into any City or County office in Dallas. Pretty fucking horrifying.
anyplace really, fuck it took ESPN waiting for this anchor American Inventor to fuck up so bad on multiple times, finally calling her out on some NFL bullshit, and she's only suspended
ESPN suspends Jemele Hill over NFL tweets

whitie woulda been fired months ago for calling Trump a white supremisist

• 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

The government offices here in Dallas make me think I've just stepped into some third world country. The DMV downtown literally smells like urine and vomit and is staffed by 300lb black women that actually have to plot navigation courses around desks and copiers. The County office downtown where you can pay for car registration looks like it hasn't been renovated since the '70's. The criminal courthouse down on Lamar or whatever should have a decontamination chamber available when you leave it. And they are all staffed by Lateeshas.

That's honestly one thing I miss about Canadia. The government offices were clean and staffed by people with a brain, even if they didn't give a shit.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The government offices here in Dallas make me think I've just stepped into some third world country. The DMV downtown literally smells like urine and vomit and is staffed by 300lb black women that actually have to plot navigation courses around desks and copiers. The County office downtown where you can pay for car registration looks like it hasn't been renovated since the '70's. The criminal courthouse down on Lamar or whatever should have a decontamination chamber available when you leave it. And they are all staffed by Lateeshas.

That's honestly one thing I miss about Canadia. The government offices were clean and staffed by people with a brain, even if they didn't give a shit.

Dude go to the DMV in Garland on NW Hwy, its staffed by fat white trailer trash instead. Not really any better, but less smelly...

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dude go to the DMV in Garland on NW Hwy, its staffed by fat white trailer trash instead. Not really any better, but less smelly...

I'm actually going to follow that advice as I have to go to the DMV just to fucking update my address on my driver's license, as trying to do so online just says I'm "ineligible and need to visit an office". No explanation of course. Last time I was at the DMV downtown you'd catch a whiff of something once in awhile that would cause complete paralysis for a few seconds.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Hahahaha *SCREAMS**

So it gets even better. Finally got a call back from a non American Inventor high up at the Dallas Water Utility office and it wasn't the lawn sprinkler permit that was preventing me from enrolling in water service (despite what all the peons told me). Yes, that needs to be closed out, but in the end that wasn't the cockblock. It seems the city pulled their OWN internal permit to install a water meter (a permit that isn't viewable on their public portal), and THAT permit was never closed. Since the permit was never closed internally, it blocked me from enrolling, and they terminated my existing service since it had no owner.

So basically my water was shut off with no warning for 24 hrs, and had to take a day off from work to hang out at city hall and the permit office, all because the city fucked up their internal paperwork.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Hahahaha *SCREAMS**

So it gets even better. Finally got a call back from a non American Inventor high up at the Dallas Water Utility office and it wasn't the lawn sprinkler permit that was preventing me from enrolling in water service (despite what all the peons told me). Yes, that needs to be closed out, but in the end that wasn't the cockblock. It seems the city pulled their OWN internal permit to install a water meter (a permit that isn't viewable on their public portal), and THAT permit was never closed. Since the permit was never closed internally, it blocked me from enrolling, and they terminated my existing service since it had no owner.

So basically my water was shut off with no warning for 24 hrs, and had to take a day off from work to hang out at city hall and the permit office, all because the city fucked up their internal paperwork.
Shoot up city hall

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
When searching for that did you notice how the only notice like that is the one you posted? That almost at no other point in time has this been done? The city has had the authority to shut off water of delinquent accounts since 1999 but they dont exercise it. And there really have no need. Water liens are considered super liens in NYC and they are regularly sold to third parties who do not waste much time to start foreclosure proceedings.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well what I think you're referring to is the fact that there are hardly any single family residences where this would ever occur in NYC. Most buildings have multiple units where the renters do not pay the water bill. They pay their landlord who is in charge of the water bill (because each building is only going to have one to a few water "mains" depending on size).

Wouldn't exactly be reasonable to shut off water to an entire building (or section of a building) where tenants live and pay rent on time just because their landlord is delinquent and doing so would raise all kinds of issues and concerns. The city wouldn't be able to shut off water to an individual unit, only someone in the unit would be able to do that.

But that's apples to oranges. I've never heard of any laws or statutes anywhere that prohibited a town/city from shutting off water to a single occupancy residence due to delinquency unless, as frenzied said, there was some kind of larger risk to a person's safety.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Eh both multi and single family residences are treated the same. If you dont pay your water bill, in 3 years city places a tax lien on your house, sells it to one of two authorized servicers and those servicers foreclosure on the property. They really dont shut off water unless you are caught tampering with the meters.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Hahahaha *SCREAMS**

Your City of Dallas tax dollars at work.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I take it you are glad your town is not part of Dallas the city...

Very. Our city services are great. I still have to deal with the county offices the same, but for water, police, recycling, etc its all town of HP, which has concierge level service.