Home buying thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the information gents. It prompted me to call the mortgage company and loan assumption is effectively the same thing as refinance without being subject to current interest rates. So, we're in the same boat and she needs to sell that house prior to us being able to move forward. Sigh.
Or she can just refinance?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Why would you expect trash pickup more than once a week?

Because when it's 100+ degrees outside during the summer, once a week garbage collection leads to stench, maggots, and flies. Dallas used to collect twice a week but changed it to once a week about six years ago.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Can't, because she's carrying the new house too. Debt to income wouldn't work out in this case.
Oh I thought you guys were each keeping a house for some reason.

Also get a lawyer.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks like I'll be joining this thread for the next while. Moving back to the Portland area to be closer to in-laws, and after getting frustrated at rent prices, we decided to buy. Going month to month on the current house we are renting, but still hope to find a place and close in December.

Wife and I have banked with Wells Fargo for our entire lives, and had our previous mortgage with them so we went with them again. It's been just over 3 years since we sold our home, so we qualify as a first time home buyer. Got approved at 4.25% , with 3% down.

Pretty excited to be buying again!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
3% down? Arent you going to get ass reamed with MIP/PMI payments? Gross.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I went 10% and pmi is a pain in the dick, definitely wish I had saved for a bit longer. Pmi is like $300/month for us
I am a title agent in NYC. We close somewhere between 300 and 400 homes a year. I have been at this for about 10 years so I have seen quiet a few home purchases. I never understood why people agree to pay MIP/PMI. Might as well light the money on fire.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am a title agent in NYC. We close somewhere between 300 and 400 homes a year. I have been at this for about 10 years so I have seen quiet a few home purchases. I never understood why people agree to pay MIP/PMI. Might as well light the money on fire.
I was an idiot. Can't really say much beyond that

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can't you refi the house or are you still not vested enough?
Home values went down in the area a little bit because our power plant closed down (or that's what people said is the reason) so we aren't really vested enough for it to be worth it, we looked into it last year.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ah. When I had PMI on my house in Ohio I aggressively was paying to the principal to refi the PMI off the home. It did feel like wormie said like lighting cash on fire.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ah. When I had PMI on my house in Ohio I aggressively was paying to the principal to refi the PMI off the home. It did feel like wormie said like lighting cash on fire.
Yeah an extra $300/month isn't life changing, but that's like.a free car payment

Vinen

God is dead
All closed. Bank account feels a little lighter now.
Now to finish packing so we can move in 2 weeks.

300 USD PMI wow... Thats > 10% of my first houses monthly mortgage.

Last edited:

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I got my last house on a 5% deal but was able to have it reappraised after I did some remodeling six months later and drop the PMI.

I guess I don't see how PMI is necessarily throwing money away. You would just be spending it on rent otherwise and you don't get any of that back.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
All closed. Bank account feels a little lighter now.
Now to finish packing so we can move in 2 weeks.

300 USD PMI wow... Thats > 10% of my first houses monthly mortgage.
Lmao dude you can't even help yourself

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I guess I don't see how PMI is necessarily throwing money away. You would just be spending it on rent otherwise and you don't get any of that back.

The marketing "genius" of America's debt sector at work ladies and gentleman

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The marketing "genius" of America's debt sector at work ladies and gentleman

You so funny. For reals, explain it to me. Let's say you pay relatively the same amount on your mortgage + pmi as you would on rent, why is it "omg so stupid burnin money" for the former but not the latter?

And, yes we all know what should "ideally," be done but life for most of us isn't as ideal as everyone on this board likes to lie about theirs being.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shelter isn't optional but PMI is. I get it because my first mortgage I took out required me to get PMI on it. I understand it's purpose and why people get mortgages with PMI but it is 100% just throwing money away since that cash doesn't go towards paying off your principal or interest on the loan. In an ideal circumstance you'd get a mortgage without PMI.