Home buying thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So instead of buying the house I "need" or want in order to fit my family and might be the perfect price to value ratio that I can find I should go find a starter house and ladder up for the next 37 years? Do I move immediately when I have the 20% ready for the next higher house? What square footage jump do I maximize moving at? Do I just keep moving even if I find the house I love so that I maximize my mortage to lack of PMI ratio at all times?

You should do stand up.
What is your argument here? That you should micromanage your finances? Yeah?

You yourself put the word need into quotes. So you didnt need that house, you could have saved the money being wasted on PMI. But hey, you "need" it so you must have it, right?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

You yourself put the word need into quotes. So you didnt need that house, you could have saved the money being wasted on PMI. But hey, you "need" it so you must have it, right?
giphy.gif

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

I also could live with my parents.

I can think of worse things to do with my money and finances but hey why would I hold you to some kind of logical standard.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I also could live with my parents.

I can think of worse things to do with my money and finances but hey why would I hold you to some kind of logical standard.
Reducing an argument to "I can live with mom" is a logical standard? Ok you win.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Reducing an argument to "I can live with mom" is a logical standard? Ok you win.
Hey man you reduced the entire argument of PMI down to "just buy a cheaper house". Par for the course.

The way I started saving money though was not splitting my assets by 50% and inviting a lawyer into my house but I am guessing consistency when it comes to financial decisions is actually not a strong point of yours.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Hey man you reduced the entire argument of PMI down to "just buy a cheaper house". Par for the course.

The way I started saving money though was not splitting my assets by 50% and inviting a lawyer into my house but I am guessing consistency when it comes to financial decisions is actually not a strong point of yours.
That is not a reduction of the argument. That is the entire argument. To avoid paying PMI you either put more money down or purchase a property that allows for the money you have to be 20% of the purchase price.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That is not a reduction of the argument. That is the entire argument. To avoid paying PMI you either put more money down or purchase a property that allows for the money you have to be 20% of the purchase price.
To avoid paying PMI you could also move in with mom. This allows you to save that 20% faster because you are no longer paying rent.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
To avoid paying PMI you could also move in with mom. This allows you to save that 20% faster because you are no longer paying rent.
That will allow one to save money faster. But that also makes the entire discussion here moot so...ok?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That will allow one to save money faster. But that also makes the entire discussion here moot so...ok?
No it won't make it moot. You are still eventually going to buy a house so why not go extreme to get there faster?

The statement I am making IS ridiculous I agree. That is how I see your "just rent cheaper" is. When I rent or buy a house I am always looking for the cheapest I can possibly go while maintaining a level of safety in the lifestyle that my family needs. I didn't put quotes around it this time because there are needs that you might not agree with and some others might but they are needs. A need is a shack that can protect me from the elements which is why I air quoted it earlier.

Not one person disagrees with you that PMI is not a great use of your money and should be planned to avoid. Not all scenarios are created equal and "just rent cheaper" is not actually always the best financial decision. There are thousands of variables to every decision on where to live that can impact you financially much more than avoiding PMI.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Wormie like 100% has to be trolling right?
I really do not think he is. He is lecturing us because of some reason I can't understand. Like I said the start to good finances is not giving away 50% of your assets and paying a lawyer for the privilege of doing it but I guess PMI is the ultimate sin in his book.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I really do not think he is. He is lecturing us because of some reason I can't understand. Like I said the start to good finances is not giving away 50% of your assets and paying a lawyer for the privilege of doing it but I guess PMI is the ultimate sin in his book.
I am not lecturing anyone on anything. I said I don't get why people toss money away on PMI and the only explanations presented were that someone needs a bigger house because "reasons" and that owning is always better than renting, which is nowhere near being always true.

Pops

It's all good as long as the market holds together. PMI is just another form of leverage.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's all good as long as the market holds together. PMI is just another form of leverage.

If the mortgage interest deduction gets clipped there is going to be less mobility in certain areas of the country, where a 500k house is pretty normal.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't wanna eat ramen and live in a 2 bedroom apartment in the ghetto for 5 years in order to save enough to get 20%. Fuck that. Gimme dat PMI on a silver platter and I'll eat that shit up! 'MURICA

right wormie wormie ?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am not lecturing anyone on anything. I said I don't get why people toss money away on PMI and the only explanations presented were that someone needs a bigger house because "reasons" and that owning is always better than renting, which is nowhere near being always true.
Not necessarily a bigger house, a house at all.

Look into the housing market in San Diego right now and their lack of inventory. This drives house prices unnaturally high. The logical thing is not to buy there, you could however get into a house that is near your range that you don't have a 20% down for but is a fixer upper. You instead put that cash you would have into fixing it and up its resale. You can then flip and get into a house you can afford without PMI.

Take a look at military towns or other areas where the population is often shifting where rent can sometimes be higher per month than an equal sized house because the people there know what people will rent for since nobody wants to buy there. I can waste my money on a stranger or I can waste it on the bank. If I waste it on the bank it is my house completely custom for me and I can do wtfever I want to it without any issues with the landlord. I don't have to worry about the fickleness of them selling it or worry about laws regarding rent increases.

PMI is not optimal and should be avoided, I agree. Your dogmatic stance that it should never ever be done is silly though. You are purposely being obtuse by assuming that everyone that does so is doing that to get into a house that is well beyond their means. You would be wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Maybe this screenshot will put it into perspective.

pmi.png

That is a nice dinner with the wife once a month. That's it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I definitely won't have 20 when I go to buy but (barring some unforeseen circumstance) will probably do an 80/10/10 and if interest rates are still low, I'll probably do 15 year fixed.