Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
thats crazy. can you share the maps, and location for google satellites?

you do have better markers then the iron pipe right? those do get moved...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't have better markers but the iron pipes that are still there match up pretty much exactly from I can tell when compared to the maps.

There is no way I am linking my exact address on these forums. The maps are interactive and contain my address and my full name. We got some real nutjobs who post here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

What I'm most worried about is that the trees that need to come down are now not on my property, but they aren't on the neighbor's property who wants them down either. They are on the property of the neighbor directly in front of my house. So now I have to decide to either just eat the cost and take down that trees and fix the fence (one tree is definitely ready to come down and the fence is an eyesore that I do want fixed as well) or show him where the property line actually is and alert him to the fact that he actually owns a lot of land that I am currently using. Including land that my house sits partially on.

I've had a good relationship with all my neighbors since I bought the place in 2009 and I'd like to keep it that way and this seems like it might become volatile.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think the best approach is to find out exactly wtf is going on and not guess. Survey + examine title policy and report from closing.

Khane

Well the survey would help with north side property line where I have yet another neighbor who wants some trees down. That property line is a lot more in question and I do believe the trees are on his property. But a survey wouldn't help with this other portion of my property. Both the iron poles denoted in my deed and the maps on record with the tax assessor show the same thing. And that property line is not close at all to the downed fence or dead tree being discussed with these other neighbors.

I'll likely get the survey done either way though so I have it as a record and for future reference.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I live and do all work in a large city so all our lots are nice and neat. It would be helpful to have something to compare to a tax map though.

Khane

So the town clerk was able to find the original survey referenced in my deed and the property lines are way different. The house is indeed fully on my property according to those records and those are the official property lines so crisis averted I guess.

EDIT: And good thing too. Some of the quotes I called for yesterday regarding a land survey called me back today. Average quote was $3k.

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm actually looking more on the East Side. Specifically Mt. Washington, Highland Park, Cypress Park(saw a 5x4 today on a 10,000sqft lot that was perfect), Atwater Village, Frog Town etc and even as far as South Pasadena. Both me and my girl work in film & TV and while she is locked into working in Hollywood I have more flexibility. Silverlake/HH are just STUPID overpriced for the dumpiest homes. Had I been looking 5 years ago (when I didn't have the kind of money I do now) that would have been a better area.

So long as I can drive into certain areas in a few hours (Culver City, Palisades etc) I don't care about being inland so long as I'm not out in the goddamn boondocks. Plus, I can get to the beach in under an hour on my bike from all those areas so I don't mind at all.

We settled on a realtor we like and after spending this weekend looking at places all over the city, I am feeling much better about my options for a 30+ year property.
don't you have a dog? are you going in w/ gf w/ a dog also? how much of that is weighing in?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
don't you have a dog? are you going in w/ gf w/ a dog also? how much of that is weighing in?
I have a dog (and will always have dog(s)). Yard/outdoor space is a must have and I have found there to be plenty of inventory that matches.

I am the one buying the house and it will be 100% in my name but long-time GF is along for the ride. It doesn't weigh in at all. Those kind of factors are all sympatico.

Pops

I'm actually looking more on the East Side. Specifically Mt. Washington, Highland Park, Cypress Park(saw a 5x4 today on a 10,000sqft lot that was perfect), Atwater Village, Frog Town etc and even as far as South Pasadena. Both me and my girl work in film & TV and while she is locked into working in Hollywood I have more flexibility. Silverlake/HH are just STUPID overpriced for the dumpiest homes. Had I been looking 5 years ago (when I didn't have the kind of money I do now) that would have been a better area.

So long as I can drive into certain areas in a few hours (Culver City, Palisades etc) I don't care about being inland so long as I'm not out in the goddamn boondocks. Plus, I can get to the beach in under an hour on my bike from all those areas so I don't mind at all.

We settled on a realtor we like and after spending this weekend looking at places all over the city, I am feeling much better about my options for a 30+ year property.

It's been a few decades, but South Pasadena I think it was, had those old stately wood paneled homes, on nice wooded private lots. Like Hancock Park/Larchmont Village homes. Old LA money homes prior to the Wilshire district becoming a ghetto.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It's been a few decades, but South Pasadena I think it was, had those old stately wood paneled homes, on nice wooded private lots. Like Hancock Park/Larchmont Village homes. Old LA money homes prior to the Wilshire district becoming a ghetto.
There are two Larchmont Village craftsmans(those old wood paneled homes) that I am looking at putting an offer on. That area is stupid pretty. My only hesitation is that it's just that much further away from my general work area in LA. Only real competition those places have are areas in Mt. Washington because of the schools and some epic views/outdoor areas.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, it took going 45 minutes North outta the city to find it, but found a place to put an offer on and they accepted! 5 bed 2 bath, 2k sq ft. for $240k. Only counter they did was extend the close date out a week. Pretty exciting stuff, and can't wait to be in my own home again. We've rented or shacked up with family since 2014, and I can't wait to get back into my own place.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Well, it took going 45 minutes North outta the city to find it, but found a place to put an offer on and they accepted! 5 bed 2 bath, 2k sq ft. for $240k. Only counter they did was extend the close date out a week. Pretty exciting stuff, and can't wait to be in my own home again. We've rented or shacked up with family since 2014, and I can't wait to get back into my own place.
45min commute isn't bad

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
45 minute commute is terrible. Thats an hour and a half wasted a day. Fuck that noise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well lucky then I don't actually commute. I'm a field service engineer by title, so I'm in hotels 75% of my time as I travel around to different hospitals to do my job. I only referenced the time to point out that I had to move out to the sticks a bit to find a good price.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Started looking in earnest at houses in Houston last night.

Found one I really liked, and it went under contract yesterday.

It was a 4/2, brand new remodel, on two acres for 199k.

Rather have 4+ acres, but it was ideal. Little catfish pond in the yard, old trees, etc etc

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Started looking in earnest at houses in Houston last night.

Found one I really liked, and it went under contract yesterday.

It was a 4/2, brand new remodel, on two acres for 199k.

Rather have 4+ acres, but it was ideal. Little catfish pond in the yard, old trees, etc etc

What I learned in buying a house a few years ago. You gotta move fast. Like you look the day its listed and offer that same day or you're probably fucked.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What I learned in buying a house a few years ago. You gotta move fast. Like you look the day its listed and offer that same day or you're probably fucked.

Yeah that's what I've done with the ones I've bought.

Couldn't have gotten that specific one, loan wasnt finished and we were still wrestling with Oregon. Finally pulled the Oregon idea off life support last night.

Well maybe could have but the Oregon thing was to tempting, still is honestly.