Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe I am for that reason Cad. Maybe my partner is a dude. Why should that matter when I am looking for Home Buying Advice from others that have done so already. This is the Grown Up area homie and you deciding to step in out of the blue with your "lol fag" nonsense needs to be put in check. I'm going to assume you self reported your post so I don't have to.

I am willing to bet we never see a warning pop up on your post though.

EDIT - I guess my bullshit does get some notice now and again.

I'm just commenting on your choice of real estate given your obvious interest in male genitalia, and advising you where you will find reasonable accommodation for your needs. If you choose not to take my advice and find your new neighborhood unsatisfying, that would be too bad, wouldn't it?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Since Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule isn't going to just straight shaw you for trolling in the Grown Up Forum, I guess I have to adapt and learn to troll more like Cad. Way to make things better guys.

"Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Home buying thread' - This post was perfectly civil. He didn't insult you or curse at you. -LLR"

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Thanks for the adult response and advice, counsel.

In fact the neighborhood I am looking at has seen a massive spike in same-sex couples buying out and displacing older Catholic families, so if you wanted to go for that 2002 angle of "lol scream is a fag", you probably should have done a bit more research. I know you Porsche obsessed, McMansion living Texan try-hards are feeling the pressure, but at least put in SOME effort.

Grow up bro.
Cad seems to be giving good advice,

if there's a gay, move away
tenor.gif

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I unfortunately still haven't mastered the art of dancing while mowing. Need to sacrifice another couple bottles of glitter to my Oscar Wilde effigy.

Pops

Sure did. Only places I considered had me thinking I was better of still renting in Santa Monica.

There you go insulting my home town. Clean air on the Peninsula, city and ocean views, wooded lots. Up high away from the riff raff living in the basin. No massive crowds of people breathing down your neck , like Santa Monica. Room to park.

There is a reason the Japanese bought up all the real estate. Enjoy your central city living, locked into that mass of humanity. Sucking up their car fumes, sitting in gridlock just to get to the store.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
So weird question but looking at "estimates" on like zillow/redfin/realtor/trulia there is a huge variance (zillow/trulia are pretty similar but ~15% lower than redfin/realtor which are also similar). Is one more accurate than the other or is there a better option for ballparking the value of an off-market home? Basically trying to get an idea what my home is worth currently to weigh options on selling.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Dont trust those estimates, they are shit. Use those services to find completed sales in your area and figure out the price per square foot. Make sure your sample size is more than just a few properties.

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Dont trust those estimates, they are shit. Use those services to find completed sales in your area and figure out the price per square foot. Make sure your sample size isnt more than just a few properties.
Yea, what is this "comps" bullshit, when my real estate agent gave me a list of 5, i'm like wtf, this sample size is pathetic

then i just went to zillow and searched all homes sold within 5miles in the last year or something, and i got two pages.

on a minor home update, i've had a slew of homes in the 150-190 range sold around my area, nothing more than just noticing for sale then sold the next month. The two houses that aren't selling are in the 200+ range, why? i figure no one wants to pay that much, don't get me wrong, they're "worth it", bigger lot, 3 vs 2 garage and 1+ room , etc but it's been stagnant for like 6months, which still further soldifies my research and i'm glad we didn't get the bigger house, cuz it woulda been cool, but theres no way we'd sell it in the 5/6 years we're planning on staying.

so maybe thats also something to keep in mind Screamfeeder Screamfeeder , unless you plan to stay for life

(but again our fallback plan would still be the company buying the house at 85% of what we paid, so it's not like we'd looseout)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
A lot of times people are too limited in how they or their agents search. If they say "we want to be in this neighborhood, and we want it under $200K," they won't even be given those houses over $200 as an option to look at, so they might as well not exist. How much over 200 are they? If they're anything less than 10K$ over$200k, that's typically a sign of a bad selling agent.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
A lot of times people are too limited in how they or their agents search. If they say "we want to be in this neighborhood, and we want it under $200K," they won't even be given those houses over $200 as an option to look at, so they might as well not exist. How much over 200 are they? If they're anything less than 10K$ over$200k, that's typically a sign of a bad selling agent.
oh it's topped out at 295, dropped from 305 a few months ago, and the house behind it was at 550 (in sept) and dropped to 485, the big houses just don't move.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Is that the thing now to vastly under price, to generate a bidding war?
That and the LA real estate market is bonkers as all hell. I watched a 1.8m house go for 1.5 and then right after a 950k one go for 1.4m. What the hell here guys!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
One was overpriced at listing and one was underpriced at listing. They both sold for almost the same amount.

Vinen

God is dead
oh it's topped out at 295, dropped from 305 a few months ago, and the house behind it was at 550 (in sept) and dropped to 485, the big houses just don't move.

Because nobody with any amount of money want to live in bumbfuck nowhere.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
So went with a Shoot The Moon early offer on a place and it's looking positive. If I manage to snag this place with the listing price, short inspection, short closing all cash offer it would be the deal of a lifetime. I guess the sellers have their new place in escrow and need to dump the current one fast. Fingers crossed.

The last two places I had offers on came back with massive problems during survey and inspection.

One had cinderblocks holding up portions of the foundation (on a hillside LA home...yikes) and the other place it turns out that about 1/4th of the actual house isn't even within the property bounds. Good Job 1960's permit office.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So went with a Shoot The Moon early offer on a place and it's looking positive. If I manage to snag this place with the listing price, short inspection, short closing all cash offer it would be the deal of a lifetime. I guess the sellers have their new place in escrow and need to dump the current one fast. Fingers crossed.

The last two places I had offers on came back with massive problems during survey and inspection.

One had cinderblocks holding up portions of the foundation (on a hillside LA home...yikes) and the other place it turns out that about 1/4th of the actual house isn't even within the property bounds. Good Job 1960's permit office.
how long has it been on the market, from what i hear (when i checked out cash vs. mortgage) ppl take cash right away when they've been burnt by failed mortgage approval or double mortgage.

how much your inspection gonna cost? my guy cost 400bucks and he was easily the most pro of the whole process, got a 90page pdf and pics and everything (which i then used to fix these home issues myself, 90% done ish)

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
how long has it been on the market, from what i hear (when i checked out cash vs. mortgage) ppl take cash right away when they've been burnt by failed mortgage approval or double mortgage.

how much your inspection gonna cost? my guy cost 400bucks and he was easily the most pro of the whole process, got a 90page pdf and pics and everything (which i then used to fix these home issues myself, 90% done ish)

The Shoot The Moon place has been on the market for 28 days and already did a round of rejected or failed offers (listing agent didn't give any more info than that).

General inspections have cost between 400-500 dollars, but since I am looking at buying a hillside LA home, I always get a separate foundation and lot ground inspection which is about the same price. I would eventually want to use the hill space for terraced yards and gardens so I have no qualms having that checked.

Inspection people have been great and yeah I get the same paperwork. Huge PDF with tons of pictures and comments ranging from stupid shit (this one section of crown molding is peeling a bit) to the massive (cinderblock footings on foundation).

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The Shoot The Moon place has been on the market for 28 days and already did a round of rejected or failed offers (listing agent didn't give any more info than that).

General inspections have cost between 400-500 dollars, but since I am looking at buying a hillside LA home, I always get a separate foundation and lot ground inspection which is about the same price. I would eventually want to use the hill space for terraced yards and gardens so I have no qualms having that checked.

Inspection people have been great and yeah I get the same paperwork. Huge PDF with tons of pictures and comments ranging from stupid shit (this one section of crown molding is peeling a bit) to the massive (cinderblock footings on foundation).
you used different ppl in the same company or different companies? and damn, how many did you have to get, heh