Home buying thread

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I certainly want piece of mind, however if it's a canister test I don't believe it will provide accurate results, thus just throwing money out the window. The sewer thing, I dunno, not a single tree on the property and it's an old man in the house so unlikely to be clogged with years of hair/tampons. lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I certainly want piece of mind, however if it's a canister test I don't believe it will provide accurate results, thus just throwing money out the window. The sewer thing, I dunno, not a single tree on the property and it's an old man in the house so unlikely to be clogged with years of hair/tampons. lol.
pro test should be at least 1 day of kicking the homeowner out.

also check your city ordinance area, they should be giving free radon kits out, mine does.

Vinen

God is dead
Anyone know much about radiant barriers? Worth the $1200 install in the Oklahoma heat?

Yes. Parents got them installed in Las Vegas and it was a major improvement. Assume you will see a lesser but noticeable improvement.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
i just goto smartasset
Property Taxes | SmartAsset.com

they take into account counties

it's cool, they'll give you state and national avg, nj is the most w/ 2.2 and hawaii is the least w/ 0.3
Site says 1.01% but it's estimate was 1300 and my actual was 1800 so I know there are other factors that get tossed in there

I usually hit up the CAD for an area, if it doesn't have a Central Appraisal District tool then it's a bit harder but a lot of places want to track "their" money down to the cent and are bringing these things in pretty well.

Doing SmartAsset in texas basically nets you about .5% off from the actual.

with a CAD tool, you can see down to the Millionth place on taxes LoL...

I can't give a link because every county / state / locality is different.

Easiest is to search " COUNTY tax assessor" and look there.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay...so I don't know if I'm getting bad advice from my agent or not.

This is our first home buy and I feel like I'm getting conflicting information from my agent.

I asked him today if I can put in a lower bid on a property but still "within reason" to the market and he basically shot it down quick. I know I am the grasshopper and he is the jedi master and all but is it unreasonable to offer 93-95% on a home that is WELL above market price and at 50+ Days on Market?

It SEEMS like the area is familiar with receiving final offers that are about 97% of asking price once the home has passed 10 DOM and the ones I'm looking at are reasonable listings and not pants on head. This information is pulled straight from the MLS comps list he sent me on a couple properties in the area.

1536203767478.png

Am I insane on this? Should I be listening to this guy or should I be putting down some attempts on these homes even if they get shot down?

Gunna back read to see if this shit has been answered but I'm lost a bit...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

This is our first home buy and I feel like I'm getting conflicting information from my agent.

I asked him today if I can put in a lower bid on a property but still "within reason" to the market and he basically shot it down quick. I know I am the grasshopper and he is the jedi master and all but is it unreasonable to offer 93-95% on a home that is WELL above market price and at 50+ Days on Market?

It SEEMS like the area is familiar with receiving final offers that are about 97% of asking price once the home has passed 10 DOM and the ones I'm looking at are reasonable listings and not pants on head. This information is pulled straight from the MLS comps list he sent me on a couple properties in the area.

View attachment 175293

Am I insane on this? Should I be listening to this guy or should I be putting down some attempts on these homes even if they get shot down?

don't forget that bitch works for you, he's uppity b/c he don't get paid until papers are signed.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Realtors are scum. Fuck him and bid what you want. Do understand that your bid could be rejected though but don't ever pay more than you think the house is worth.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If he won't explain why he won't bid lower, than he doesn't sound very trust worthy. I'd look for a new realtor.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 175293

He probably just doesn’t want to bid lower because that would require work and they are in the business of making money on transactions they had very little to do with.

They always tell buyers to spend more and sellers to lower the cost because they want to make transactions since thats how they get paid.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
If he won't explain why he won't bid lower, than he doesn't sound very trust worthy. I'd look for a new realtor.
He probably just doesn’t want to bid lower because that would require work and they are in the business of making money on transactions they had very little to do with.

They always tell buyers to spend more and sellers to lower the cost because they want to make transactions since thats how they get paid.

So this is the email back and fourth that we had, spoilered for size

Looking to get your thoughts on these properties:

ADDRESS REMOVED

And

ADDRESS REMOVED

Priced at HOUSE PRICE ONE as well as HOUSE PRICE TWO and on the market for a while (around 60 days).

Given that we want to stay around a cap of PRICE POINT on spending, is it even realistic to assume a possible price drop of that sort on properties like these?

My initial thoughts would be to offer something like (OFFER @ 95% OF LISTING PRICE) and go from there. For the SECOND property, I know that is a little low but for the FIRST one I don’t have reasonable comparatives nearby. Sorry if it seems like I’m balking at putting in offers, I don’t want to offer too low and put us in a bad situation reputation wise, if you don’t think that would be the case then all is good.

Thanks for your help,

Yeah I was being beta, but I really can't read this guy. I was taking the reigns a bit more earlier but his reaction never changed.

His response to that email:

Well even when the property is over priced, the sellers are not usually willing to take a lower offer or they would lower the asking price. Often they are just unreasonable.

My response to that:

In regards to the home pricing being out of sync, HAHA okay, got it. So I have to ask, in a situation like that, is offering an amount that I feel is reasonable for the home just going to be ignored completely?

and his final reply:

Probably!

---

EDIT: These are all literally cut and pasted from the email with identifiers removed.

Ultimately I dunno, I feel like this dude isn't really helping me out too much. He's sending me listings from his thing and not really looking himself. I comb through all his listings and basically say "ya" or "naah". Is it better for me to just do my search and call him when I want to see a place, basically just using his service as a glorified closing service?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So this is the email back and fourth that we had, spoilered for size

Looking to get your thoughts on these properties:

ADDRESS REMOVED

And

ADDRESS REMOVED

Priced at HOUSE PRICE ONE as well as HOUSE PRICE TWO and on the market for a while (around 60 days).

Given that we want to stay around a cap of PRICE POINT on spending, is it even realistic to assume a possible price drop of that sort on properties like these?

My initial thoughts would be to offer something like (OFFER @ 95% OF LISTING PRICE) and go from there. For the SECOND property, I know that is a little low but for the FIRST one I don’t have reasonable comparatives nearby. Sorry if it seems like I’m balking at putting in offers, I don’t want to offer too low and put us in a bad situation reputation wise, if you don’t think that would be the case then all is good.

Thanks for your help,

Yeah I was being beta, but I really can't read this guy. I was taking the reigns a bit more earlier but his reaction never changed.

His response to that email:

Well even when the property is over priced, the sellers are not usually willing to take a lower offer or they would lower the asking price. Often they are just unreasonable.

My response to that:

In regards to the home pricing being out of sync, HAHA okay, got it. So I have to ask, in a situation like that, is offering an amount that I feel is reasonable for the home just going to be ignored completely?

and his final reply:

Probably!

---

Ultimately I dunno, I feel like this dude isn't really helping me out too much. He's sending me listings from his thing and not really looking himself. I comb through all his listings and basically say "ya" or "naah". Is it better for me to just do my search and call him when I want to see a place, basically just using his service as a glorified closing service?

Should just be like “I’d like to offer X on property Y, please copy me on the offer submission to the listing agent, thanks”

They can comment but they have to give the offers you specify or drop you as a client.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Should just be like “I’d like to offer X on property Y, please copy me on the offer submission to the listing agent, thanks”

They can comment but they have to give the offers you specify or drop you as a client.

Yeah, for a while I was asking him about price comps in the area since he has the actual sold amounts at his disposal and all I have are estimates.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Realtors... Takes a special kind of asshole to not only make money off people who you make do all the work themselves anyway, but then also try to gouge prices so you make better commissions. All while pretending you are a necessary part of the process.

Obviously not all realtors are like that, but the point stands!

In other home purchasing news here's a fun one. My mortgage was sold last year to another bank. Fast forward a year to the first escrow disbursement and suddenly my payment goes up $800/mo. Turns out the previous lender had not being paying my taxes and sold the mortgage under the false pretense that my taxes were $11k more a year than they actually are. How does a bank not catch that "error" before agreeing to buy and take over the mortgage? My payment went from $2700 -> $3500 per month. They didn't think a tax hike like that might be a little "out of the ordinary"? I guess if you sell thousands of mortgages as a package deal you can slip little scumbag gotchas in here and there as part of it.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
In other home purchasing news here's a fun one. My mortgage was sold last year to another bank. Fast forward a year to the first escrow disbursement and suddenly my payment goes up $800/mo. Turns out the previous lender had not being paying my taxes and sold the mortgage under the false pretense that my taxes were $11k more a year than they actually are. How does a bank not catch that "error" before agreeing to buy and take over the mortgage? My payment went from $2700 -> $3500 per month. They didn't think a tax hike like that might be a little "out of the ordinary"? I guess if you sell thousands of mortgages as a package deal you can slip little scumbag gotchas in here and there as part of it.

Holy shit, how do you get something like this fixed?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I called the mortgage company and showed them my actual real estate tax bill. It's available via public portal. One call took care of it, it's just ridiculous that it happened.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, for a while I was asking him about price comps in the area since he has the actual sold amounts at his disposal and all I have are estimates.

My realitor was not only fine with me putting in lower bids, often times he suggested it himself based on area, ToM, condition of house, etc. Only legit thing he could say is its an area thing that all realtors in the area work off of, like some kind of honor system. I would still think about shopping around.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Realtors are only useful in high volume markets.

So what would you suggest otherwise?

Being my first home and all, I'm super wary of getting fucked on the legal side of things, not so much the lemon side.

Any good reads that are NOT (LOL omitted this word on first post...) series of books or even books at all for that matter?

Something like, "DIYer Home buyers guide to buying your first home!" style publications.

My realitor was not only fine with me putting in lower bids, often times he suggested it himself based on area, ToM, condition of house, etc. Only legit thing he could say is its an area thing that all realtors in the area work off of, like some kind of honor system. I would still think about shopping around.

I've asked a couple questions of him and I wanna see how he responds to it. Hopefully he gets me the information I need.

Last edited: