Home buying thread

iannis

Musty Nester
yea all my friends that have new construction homes in the last 10yrs have loads of structural problems.

one time i stayed over and got the basement, and i was like "wtf, why do you have a cavern sized cracked on your wall"!

he said the house probably shifted and its only along the seam of the drywall.

then i walk around the basement and i was like "theres another crack"!!! and he's like yea, it shifts!

i heard about houses "settling" after a few years but this was literally like a 2yr old house.

oh and their living room was all plastic'd off cuz the patio hanging off on top of started to leak through.

and of course they're talking to "the builder" since they have a "warranty" welp the same builder built 4 other houses on this development property and they all have some sort of leaky shit, and they all have to band together to get their lawyer on.

My house settled, it's about 50 years old. It's annoying. It made a crack in the drywall I had to fix on both floors and all the doorframes are very slightly out of square now.

Just sanded down a bunch of doors. I ain't gonna replace every doorframe in the house just to resquare them. It wasn't a lot either, juuuuuuuust enough.

You're in kansas though, right? My mom lived in kansas as a kid (army brat). The school that she went to had a crack big enough to see into the next classroom, that building had settled so much.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My house settled, it's about 50 years old. It's annoying. It made a crack in the drywall I had to fix on both floors and all the doorframes are very slightly out of square now.

Just sanded down a bunch of doors. I ain't gonna replace every doorframe in the house just to resquare them. It wasn't a lot either, juuuuuuuust enough.

You're in kansas though, right? My mom lived in kansas as a kid (army brat). The school that she went to had a crack big enough to see into the next classroom, that building had settled so much.

If it's a pier and beam you should have it checked because they can re-level it. If it's a 50 year old slab, then, okay. Good luck.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, i'm operating on hope when it comes to that!

God, I don't want an inspector out here to tell me it's a 50 thousand dollar problem. heh. Even if it's true!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, i'm operating on hope when it comes to that!

God, I don't want an inspector out here to tell me it's a 50 thousand dollar problem. heh. Even if it's true!

Don't hire one of those shit ass inspectors. Call a structural engineer. Don't fuck around if you are staying in this house longer than a couple of years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I hadn't really thought of that. I'll have to find one.

We hire them for construction cases all the time. For a residential inspection probably less than $500 and they will give you the straight dope.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

those friends i talked about their house was in michigan, i think it's just the builder since all the other houses have cracks and leaks.

yea i'm in ks, my house is a 90s house so i guess it's settled, my basement is finished, and i see no cracks anywhere besides my driveway lifting up half an inch, and i'm sure thats cuz of the roots of a tree right next to it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Depending on the framing and the placement of doors it may be the joists or a wooden beam settling. If the joint runs vertical from the edge if the door its probably a drywall joint (drywallers like cause less joint to finish but it's more prone to crack). Diagonal it's more serious imo.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Depending on the framing and the placement of doors it may be the joists or a wooden beam settling. If the joint runs vertical from the edge if the door its probably a drywall joint (drywallers like cause less joint to finish but it's more prone to crack). Diagonal it's more serious imo.
the cracks i saw in friends house were all vertical seemingly along the drywall lines (i saw the tape), how bad is shit when it's diagonal is that anything to do w/ build quality or just the urth being urth

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It just means there's been true settlement whether in the framing or foundation, shearing solid drywall requires some pretty serious stress where a taped 14" drywall can crack from thermal movement or much less settlement.

How bad is it is a harder question. If it's on the 3rd floor of a 6 month old house mid span it's a little more understandable than if it's directly on a concrete slab that's been there 50 years.

Vinen

God is dead
To put it bluntly. Some of the damage described above is worse than the historical fire damage my contractor uncovered. We now understand the repairs that were done 60+ years ago. Those repairs are nothing compared to what is being described above. Then again we are not on a slab but on a typical stone foundation in the Northeast.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Today is the big day sometime in the next 4-6 hours large men with a truck will come and liberate my belongs from my condo and take them down to where me and my folks are going to be living, Since we are consolidating most of the furniture is staying, so this should be a pretty simple move. Next week I have to get a hold of some charities and a recycling place to take all the rest of it. Feels weird, like all moves have, but I am excited.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Today is the big day sometime in the next 4-6 hours large men with a truck will come and liberate my belongs from my condo and take them down to where me and my folks are going to be living, Since we are consolidating most of the furniture is staying, so this should be a pretty simple move. Next week I have to get a hold of some charities and a recycling place to take all the rest of it. Feels weird, like all moves have, but I am excited.
Cool, congratulations. You're moving in with your parents? Basement?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So any new house advice for someone moving from NJ to Florida? House is new, more thinking of essentials/furnishing do's and don'ts for a northerner moving south. It's northern FL a little west of St. Augustine

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Next time you move try not to pick the only state on the Contintental US that's worse than the one you already live in.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We have some friends selling their house and we really like it. We know fuckall about the process and should be treated like a couple of 5 year olds.

The last appraisal was $196,000 and the listing is $250,000. What am I supposed to be looking at to make sure I don't end up upside down? I get the survey & inspection part of buying a home, I don't get the value/investment part.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
We have some friends selling their house and we really like it. We know fuckall about the process and should be treated like a couple of 5 year olds.

The last appraisal was $196,000 and the listing is $250,000. What am I supposed to be looking at to make sure I don't end up upside down? I get the survey & inspection part of buying a home, I don't get the value/investment part.

It's just a matter of staying in the home long enough to pay it off / ride out a people market fall.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

trulia
zillow
realtor

combined they'll give you all the tools you need.

first is to enter the address into trulia and scroll down you'll see "comparable sales for ..." these are known as "comps" Xarpolis Xarpolis can probably tell you more and how the industry treats these houses as a way to price the property.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The value of a house is completely subjective. You can gauge a value based off comps, but the true value is what someone will actually spend on it.

If you list a house at 100k and 3 people are interested, it's worth 100k. But then if one of those 3 gives you an offer of 125k, now it's "worth" 125k. Comps may only cover it for 100k, so the additional 25k would be something the buyers would need to come up with. A mortgage won't cover it. But that's pretty much how it works.

The name of the game is comps. And they're a huge industry with many many ways to comp the same property. Different methods may work better than others, but there's no "this is the right way" type of thing.

I remember when Hawaii started buying properties in order to build the rail, there was a big argument between an owner that had a very old barn that was a business on a property, and nothing else was even close to what he had. So they had to really figure out how to appraise it appropriately. It went to court and he eventually made a fair amount for it after the "new" appraisal offered a lot more than the generic one the government had used to give him some money.