Home buying thread

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So the ultra-low rates quickly caused a flood of new mortgages and the lenders had to kill it. Hello 5% rates =/

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
As of last week my Mortgage Broker said he could get me in at 3.5%, with 3% down. Can't wait to call him tomorrow and see if that has changed.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Haha. Probably going to get cheaper. Look for those desperate sales.

Maybe, but for how long? The sub 3% lasted for a full day. The seller took all that day and half of the next to contract. So I locked at 3.5.

So part of me definitely says damn.

But then, where we are, there aren't many homes for sale, and even fewer good ones. We snagged a decent fixerupper with no competing bids. So that's something, too.

The low interest rates and low inventory are making buyers throw around stupid money on offers. Went to two houses prior and it was like halloween with 10+ buying parties touring the same houses at the same time. Fuck that.

So maybe it's just good to have the contract and rate fixed and avoid all the BS.

Beyond that I dunno. It feels like everything is upside down right now.

Last edited:

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I've got a lock in a 30 year cash out refi at 3.375. Can't figure out if I should scrub and wait the 30 days or proceed.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I've got a lock in a 30 year cash out refi at 3.375. Can't figure out if I should scrub and wait the 30 days or proceed.

This was what I saw by Friday---lenders trying to deter new applicants.

Maybe check with a credit union.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
For anyone as insane as I am to be buying and/or selling a house at the moment, it still seems possible to pull off--no one involved wants contracts to fall through.

One thing though: realtors are suggesting addenda to allow for settlement extensions due to COVID-19. As far as I can tell, these don't make sense to sign because they don't have any impact on rate locks.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
For anyone as insane as I am to be buying and/or selling a house at the moment, it still seems possible to pull off--no one involved wants contracts to fall through.

One thing though: realtors are suggesting addenda to allow for settlement extensions due to COVID-19. As far as I can tell, these don't make sense to sign because they don't have any impact on rate locks.
They make sense if your seller cant sell due to kungflu and need extra time that would not be available under a regular contract.

Pops

I was talking about home prices. But there is turmoil in the mortgage market. Players are are getting margin calls and not meeting them. So maybe early on in this crash it was demand but now the prices of the paper are dropping. Forcing the yield up.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I posted this in the Grown Up Corona Thread. Probably more useful here...

Some new information came out today from Fannie Mae. There is a lot to unpack but the gist is they are trying to move as many Appraisals to Exterior/Drive By as possible. A lot of things will factor in like LTV/CLTV, Purchase or Refi etc. From what I can tell it will ultimately be at the Bank's discretion based on their risk assessment.

Basically good news for those looking to Refi, but do not want to have an Appraiser walking through their home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Any no closing cost refis around? My 5/5 arm just triggered rate up to 4.6. Principal is only 60k so not a huge deal but still worth investigating. Prob is closing costs kill the savings.

Pops

Any no closing cost refis around? My 5/5 arm just triggered rate up to 4.6. Principal is only 60k so not a huge deal but still worth investigating. Prob is closing costs kill the savings.

What was it tied to?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So, don't know if we have a thread for this already, where should I be looking for these insane deals?

I'm on costco's mortgage center since it compares like 5 or so different lenders at least and their rates, without points, are terrible.

30 year:

1585152342541.png

with points (various):

1585152381343.png

15 Year:

No Points:

1585152522731.png

Points (various):

1585152497139.png

Pops

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So, don't know if we have a thread for this already, where should I be looking for these insane deals?

I'm on costco's mortgage center since it compares like 5 or so different lenders at least and their rates, without points, are terrible.

30 year:

15 Year:

No Points:

View attachment 256615

Points (various):

View attachment 256614

Try credit unions. The deals kinda dried up a bit with so much demand. If they exist, they bounce around by lender and day. CUs seem to be a bit more stable and less points.

Also, a lot of settlement dates are pushed out really far right now. Like 60 days minimum.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I would be inclined to wait if you can.

Yeah, I'm in no hurry ATM. Can't even "Go in and Speak" with someone and no one is answering their phones because apparently Corona Chan transmits via telephone now too.

EDIT:

As is, Costco doesn't see too bad for rates (with points) but without points they, and everyone else, are trying to limit their incoming applications by charging rates that are hyper-inflated compared to the rate they are borrowing money at.