Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Realtors are like mechanics, ones you know or get a good referral are fine, its when you need to look for one blind that they can really fuck you over.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
she got all in my ass about violation of protocol and all this shit. She claimed she can't protect me if I talk to the other parties directly and I get it

Lol, this is #1 bullshit. Real estate agents are parasites and should not exist in the information age. The "profession" cannot die fast enough.

She works for YOU (supposedly). Did you sign an exclusivity contract with her? If not, tell her to fuck right off with that attitude and get a new agent. You should not reward a tantrum.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
Lol, this is #1 bullshit. Real estate agents are parasites and should not exist in the information age. The "profession" cannot die fast enough.

She works for YOU (supposedly). Did you sign an exclusivity contract with her? If not, tell her to fuck right off with that attitude and get a new agent. You should not reward a tantrum.

I signed the exclusive thing with her. We went over it and it's binding only for houses she shows me and we discussed if results weren't happening we could end the deal.

Navy Federal coordinates with realty companies to split the realty closing costs for the mutual benefit of the buyer, realtor and their bank. In turn... they send me a check when it's over that'll be around $2k. If it wasn't for THAT money AND the exclusive contract she could sue me for then I would go find another realtor.

I thought hard about calling her boss and having him/her put my realtor in check to stfu and close the deal but I didn't want to take the chance that would cause animosity and she'd fuck me over potentially somewhere through the process. She threatened to call the board on the other realtor but it's like... stfu and do the deal. She's still going to get paid so stfu. I know I signed the exclusive contract and I know I'll get sued if I try to dump her plus I'd lose out on the Navy Fed kickback.

I can't agree more with your parasites statement. I suppose it has a lot to do with the business model, the cost, the uncertainty of how many deals they will close in a year that actually make them money and everyone trying to squeeze the costs down to get closer to the actual sell price of the house. And as always, the best sales people will thrive in almost any environment whereas the people Alec Baldwin yelled at in Glen Gary Glen Ross probably should find other work.

So long as the deal closes I'm good. Wash my hands at that point.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I thought hard about calling her boss and having him/her put my realtor in check to stfu and close the deal but I didn't want to take the chance that would cause animosity and she'd fuck me over potentially somewhere through the process. She threatened to call the board on the other realtor but it's like... stfu and do the deal. She's still going to get paid so stfu. I know I signed the exclusive contract and I know I'll get sued if I try to dump her plus I'd lose out on the Navy Fed kickback.
she sounds like a cunt, i'm sure there are provisions to drop her if she is ruinous or adversariall in the relationship

i understand that in simpler terms, basically the navy is handling this shit and they said, here is the realtor cunt you should work with, which is common

i'm sure something could be worked out by dumping the cunt and getting someone new but still from the agency.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Considering doing a stupid thing I probably wouldn't do if I didn't have a chunk of inheritance money staring at me from a bank account right now.

There's an abandoned 70s 2-story about 5 miles west of the edge of Millard. Selling for ~65k... because meth heads have torn out all the the insulation and wiring and fucked up some of the plumbing looking for copper. Basic structure isn't compromised tho, so it'd pretty much just be fully replacing the interior/some pipes/wiring/some base floor windows and then good to go. Millard's the growing "good" part of town, so in 5-10 years it would probably be adjacent to or part of the "nice" suburbs for the metro.

My idiot brain is trying to convince me that "You can watch some reno youtube videos, you got this!"

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Considering doing a stupid thing I probably wouldn't do if I didn't have a chunk of inheritance money staring at me from a bank account right now.

There's an abandoned 70s 2-story about 5 miles west of the edge of Millard. Selling for ~65k... because meth heads have torn out all the the insulation and wiring and fucked up some of the plumbing looking for copper. Basic structure isn't compromised tho, so it'd pretty much just be fully replacing the interior/some pipes/wiring/some base floor windows and then good to go. Millard's the growing "good" part of town, so in 5-10 years it would probably be adjacent to or part of the "nice" suburbs for the metro.

My idiot brain is trying to convince me that "You can watch some reno youtube videos, you got this!"

Money pit

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Went and looked at some houses today, talked to our mortgage dude. Checking out one of them again tomorrow with my parents for a second set of eyes.

GOOD: The place looks like it was in the midst of being remodeled and stalled. It's a raised ranch. Half the lower level was converted to an in-law apartment. Upper level windows new, deck redone, 2yr old furnace, roof looks good. 2 bay garage with a great room above it, .9 acres, good commute for the GF and I.

BAD: Wood siding that needs to be redone, driveway asphalt is shit.

Right now with 5% down we can do 3% interest.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So we made an offer on the above house on 7/12, counter offered back and forth through the week. Offer was accepted today, just waiting on seller to sign paperwork.

giphy.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Can you close with an attorney instead of title company?

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons

Well... mine was a purchase from and estate and the estates lawyer did it all, the family is holding the loan - a title company was still involved as they are the 3rd party to hold the title for the loan and transfer the stuff etc.

It's all a legalese government form situation heh. The title company is to hold the title, investigate the title (is it free and clear etc.) And facilitate (gov forms) the transfer of property...but the government / state local etc. "Do" the stuff, companies and lawyers just facilitate it.

Really...it is to say, yes... "closing costs" are like buying a car and dealer fees... they are "legal" but not really "required" like many times they /allude to/ being.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm kind of in a weird place. We have been renting a townhome for a few years because we had planned on moving out of state. Our landlord just asked us if we want to buy it because he wants out of the rental business. He is asking a fair price and we have lived here long enough to know of all the issues. We know they place far better than him and other than needing a new fridge, stove, and some paint it's in good shape. I'm tempted.

Here is the weirdness. His buddy works for our bank and is happy to do the closing. Basically this means no realtor fees and minimal closing costs. That raises a small red flag for me, otherwise it seems fine. I can't think of any drawbacks. I'm not sure if not using his buddy is a deal breaker. Anyone got anything? Is the market going to crash or something?

Worst case otherwise is we buy, fix it up a bit, decide to move and make a small profit on the way out.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where are you located? COVID impact? When you say do the closing, you mean his buddy will approve your mortgage financing?

Doesn't strike me as that problematic, other than they might try to screw you over on the mortgage rate. 30 year fixed rate loans are dipping below 3.00% as of last week so if he comes back with something way off market from that you should go elsewhere.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm kind of in a weird place. We have been renting a townhome for a few years because we had planned on moving out of state. Our landlord just asked us if we want to buy it because he wants out of the rental business. He is asking a fair price and we have lived here long enough to know of all the issues. We know they place far better than him and other than needing a new fridge, stove, and some paint it's in good shape. I'm tempted.

Here is the weirdness. His buddy works for our bank and is happy to do the closing. Basically this means no realtor fees and minimal closing costs. That raises a small red flag for me, otherwise it seems fine. I can't think of any drawbacks. I'm not sure if not using his buddy is a deal breaker. Anyone got anything? Is the market going to crash or something?

Worst case otherwise is we buy, fix it up a bit, decide to move and make a small profit on the way out.
at least claim the zillow listing and see the historicals on it and how the market has been moving

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm in Minnesota but not in Minneapolis, I'm in a second ring suburb. Yeah, he's the loan guy for the bank and we will go to a title company for closing. Thanks, I'll watch for interest fuckery. I'll check Zillow as well. I have a pretty good idea on price because our identical place is selling right now. Their place is fixed up more but it's in the same range. Needless to say the market in the suburbs is fire now with people fleeing Minneapolis insanity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Inspection went well. Waiting on water and radon test results. Septic test is Tuesday.

Only big ticket items that came up are heating oil tank needs replacement, and well pressure tank isn't work. Hopefully we will be able to handle that in final negotiation.