Home buying thread

Vinen

God is dead
You will likely not be able to put an offer on a house without a approval letter.
This. Given that MA is a competitive market offers that may fall through are ignored. Offers without an approval letter are considerably more risky.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good enough, made an appointment with a rep from our personal bank. My friend recommended a local guy as well, so if the bank route doesn't work I may contact him.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
May? You're talking about taking out a loan where you will pay, what, over $200k in interest? Go talk to a broker too.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Sorry another question, pre-approval vs. pre-qualified. Our bank that we were going to use has you fill out an online application with your basic info to get "pre-qualified". I think it's safe to assume though that we actually want pre-approval. Can anyone confirm that we'd want to go with pre-approval instead? My thoughts are that with pre-approval you're basically giving the bank all of the important documentation and getting the loan process to a point where you are allowed to spend a certain amount and if you find a house you are able to finalize it. With pre-qualified is it sort of like the bank saying "we think you can get this much based on the information you provided, but we need to dig further". Is this correct?

When I get a house I'll invite all my rerolled bros over.
Pre-Qualification - Can vary but at it's core it's simply a loan officer like me issuing a system generated letter saying you are pre-qualified because I have DU or LP approval based on either what you told me or the documents you gave me. Some lenders may not even require that. Basically a pre-qual just gives you an idea that you might be able to get the loan and doesn't guarentee anything.

Pre-Approval - Is an actual approval from an actual credit decisioning authority ie. the underwriter. You have to put in a full loan application and complete any associated disclosures, you are correct in that you are essentially getting everything ready for when you find a property.

The issue you may have is your realtor may ask for a pre-approval but actually need a pre-qual, pre-quals you can change the numbers quickly to suit your offer. Pre-approval cannot be changed by anyone but the underwriter so this doesn't happen that quickly if at all, you also may qualify for more than your offer and you don't want the seller to know that. Lenders used to call their pre-qual a pre-approval, and some may do, which is now illegal as it's misleading. A lot of lenders won't do pre-approvals due to Operations compacity, Wells Fargo for instance does not have this available at this time at least in the SoCal market. We then get realtors insisting on having the letter state pre-approval even though this isn't possible. It's pretty fucking annoying.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Every market is different so I can always be wrong but right now the big banks are just buying business and brokers rates are way worse. I would only recommend you go to a broker if you have a unique situation where you need a niche product. Otherwise you'll find it more expensive for a worse rate I would expect.

OneofOne

Another reason to at least TALK to a broker. My broker wrote up a new pre-approval for every offer we submitted (and he said the exact thing you did - sellers have no need to know our borrowing limit). I didn't even have to do shit - my realtor and broker took care of that. I guess I didn't realize what a pita it is behind the scenes, because of what a non-issue it was for us.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Another reason to at least TALK to a broker. My broker wrote up a new pre-approval for every offer we submitted (and he said the exact thing you did - sellers have no need to know our borrowing limit). I didn't even have to do shit - my realtor and broker took care of that. I guess I didn't realize what a pita it is behind the scenes, because of what a non-issue it was for us.
Right, your broker isn't a credit decision maker so he was basically giving the realtor a piece of paper that was just good for wiping his ass with it. Sometimes this business is retarded.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So my question is should we do both a pre-qual and pre-approval? It sounds like yes to me, but could use input.

Vinen

God is dead
So my question is should we do both a pre-qual and pre-approval? It sounds like yes to me, but could use input.
The pre-approval will take into account both of you so no, you will only need one pre-approval. It just specifics that you are joint lending.

OneofOne

Right, your broker isn't a credit decision maker so he was basically giving the realtor a piece of paper that was just good for wiping his ass with it. Sometimes this business is retarded.
Too funny. Whatever works!

rrr_img_59221.jpg

My house

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We put in an offer so fast we didn't even have a pre-qualify letter. Our realtor just told them we were good for it.

Vinen

God is dead
Oh dang, don't see 3 stories very often anymore. Nice!!
Hahah
smile.png
Check out the Boston area...

How many square feet? My wife and I almost purchased a 3 story house a few months back then backed out when we realized we'd never be able to utilize the 3000+ square feet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What do you mean can't utilize the 3000+ square feet? Get a pool table and a golf simulator. That's 1000 sq feet taken care of right there.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
How the fuck do you afford to maintain a house that big if you need government assistance to buy it in the first place?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Let's not start that conversation again. We'll all get infracted!!! And then Obama wins again!