Home buying thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always thought the network just gave them some of the money for appearing on the show to put towards renovations, or gave them renovations for free, otherwise why embarrass yourself like that? 99% of the people on those shows are the biggest blowhards in the world.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I always thought the network just gave them some of the money for appearing on the show to put towards renovations, or gave them renovations for free, otherwise why embarrass yourself like that? 99% of the people on those shows are the biggest blowhards in the world.
I always assumed being on the show was the reward, and they had to come up with everything they had. I'm glad like most TV, it wasn't real. I'd gladly go buy a $130k house, on a loan of $250k, and renovate! but doesn't look like that's the real world.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Put in our application for pre-approval today. She said we should have no problem qualifying for a pretty large amount (although we are going low for our first house), based on our collective income being pretty good. Don't qualify for any special housing programs, so I won't be a leach.

Going to find out tomorrow the exact amount and receive our letter. I had to send her some student loan documentation first.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got our pre-approval
smile.png
now the stressful part. Approved for $350,000 but looking around $200,000

The Master

Bronze Squire
Turns out our house really needs to be upgraded from a 100A panel to a 200A panel and for some reason the old fusebox is still being used as a sub-panel, which is completely unnecessary. So that'll be... fun.

Wall demolished to open up the kitchen, drywall guy is coming tomorrow to tape and texture everything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What are you looking for? a rundown shack? Thats about what you will get for 200 even around the slums of Framingham :|
We're a bit more SE MA than that, where housing isslightlycheaper, heh - although I work all the way up in Hopkinton. I'm willing to suffer with the hour-long commute for a cheaper house. She works in Canton too, so looking to stay south of Boston. Initially looking around Middleboro, Berkley, Taunton/Rayham, etc.

250k is probably what we'll go with, but we wanted to know our max in case something awesome came out. Keep in mind this is our first house too, and I'm fresh out of college.

We're working with our realtor friend, so hopefully he'll have slightly more interest in our well-being than his typical client. Hopefully I won't buy a $200k rundown shack
smile.png

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Housing market around here is depressing. Beyond the never ending bubble, all I can find are houses in bad shape made in the 1940s, townhouses made in the 70s where everything is still original (either renters from the start or military personnel who'd buy it then sell it as is 4yo later) or pretty new manufactured homes which although are in good shape are also on leased plots.

I don't mind some renovation, but to redo the entire place isn't of my liking and I'm not sold either on a plot lease of 470 bucks a month.

ugh

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've noticed around here all the brand new houses have max income requirements, so basically for low-income households. It's kind of bullshit because ideally I'd want a new house.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What is your commute now? My hour long commute is at almost a year now and it's been especially shitty this winter. Before this I had about a 5 minute commute.

but yeah, you will end up hating it especially when you start having kids.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It was under 10 minutes. 0 now because I don't have a job. Could be close to 30 if I get one at a place I interviewed Tuesday.

I live in Ithaca and my dad suggested looking for jobs in Syracuse(1 hour) or Rochester(1.5 hours). I'd rather kill myself than deal with that daily commute. Or move somewhere else entirely.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What is your commute now? My hour long commute is at almost a year now and it's been especially shitty this winter. Before this I had about a 5 minute commute.

but yeah, you will end up hating it especially when you start having kids.
I've been commuting 1 hour each way for 2 years now (and was going to school, so some days was 1.5-2 hours). The winter really sucks as my route comes right up to before the Mass Pike which is always a shitfest - plus the highway that I drive on is notorious for accidents in the morning. I honestly don't mind the commute too much except in the winter. I have a 24-book audible subscription so usually I chill out and listen to a book on the way in/out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Turns out our house really needs to be upgraded from a 100A panel to a 200A panel and for some reason the old fusebox is still being used as a sub-panel, which is completely unnecessary. So that'll be... fun.
We got a quote from an electrician to do exactly that at our house last year. almost 4 grand. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
our fusebox is old as shit but functions still. So far the only thing that trips it is when my wife blow drys her hair in our upstairs bathroom, so she just has to do it somewhere else. Definitely at the top of our list for things to get done.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Am I the only one with an irrational fear of a house being haunted or is that a normal thing? One house she wants to look at is really cheap and built in 1800. I'm 99% sure it must be haunted after all the shows I've watched.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one with an irrational fear of a house being haunted or is that a normal thing? One house she wants to look at is really cheap and built in 1800. I'm 99% sure it must be haunted after all the shows I've watched.
Don't worry bro, you gots an Angel watching your back.

The Master

Bronze Squire
We got a quote from an electrician to do exactly that at our house last year. almost 4 grand. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
2k here. Regional variation in pricing for this kind of work is pretty funny. Also I am probably getting the best rate available because it is a family friend.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Panel upgrade should be 1500-2k.
Materials are about 600 unless you get into a shit ton of AFCI or GFCI breakers which are 40 a pop as opposed to $4. They are code for some areas of the house in areas that have adopted latest nec so i'd ask them that to see if they know what they're talking about.
I did mine myself last year moving the box to a code compliant space and the hardest part was replacing the meter and running the heavy ass 4/0 triplex into house (i wanted it in conduit because i thought it would be easy and look better, wasn't easy).

I would say all the local companies will charge about the same but if you can get an a friend of a friend or hire erronius you might make out a lot better.