Home buying thread

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
TheBeagle TheBeagle

Girl I went to school with recently moved to Rockwall. She lived in CA with her husband and then they moved to Dallas. Must be nice. They divorced and he bought her a new house while she works at Baylor medicine. Her now ex husband owns a medical spa. When the virus isn't going on she bass fishes near 24/7 lol. Good work if you can get it. Pretty sure she had some work done at the spa, but I would never say that...to her. If I was in better shape I'd weasel in for a fishing trip.
Lol, is she fishing Ray Hubbard or making the drive to Fork? I'm dusting off my waders this weekend to go see if the bass are starting to stage pre-spawn.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a few low income renters who have taken advantage of the no rent business. I'm working with them to figure out what happens when rent is due. I did get some state funding for these folks to help offset the costs. It has been pretty shitty for landlords, though. I'm fortunate in that I have almost no mortgage on any of my properties. If I had hefty mortgage payments to make for all of them I have no idea what I would have done.

But I've done things to keep the positive spirit with my renters. In one spot I have ten units all together. I have done a bunch of big ole barbecues and invited all my tenants for free dinner and take home food. Done it at least once a month. They love me, they're all anxious to uphold their leases, and even the ones who have lost jobs and can't pay full rent have been paying some, as much as they can.

But it's a shitty time to be a landlord.

I wanted to follow up on my own statement here. It's a shitty time to be a renter, too. So many lost jobs in this area, so many people who are not able to pay the rent. Yeah, that's tough on landlords, but imagine being the renter who has to tell the landlord that they don't have the rent money because they've lost their job. It's humiliating on top of already being humiliated because you can't support your family. All my leases are one year, and then everyone goes monthly. At the one year anniversary of renting from me I give every one of my renters a "rent free month" card with the instructions that they can only use it in the event of the loss of their job and provided they were actively looking for a new job. I've had a few use those cards this year. When they do I immediately meet with them and figure out what kind of rent is possible to expect from them, and how we can work together to ensure they have a home and whatever else they might need.

Some call me too soft, but my renters never fuck up my properties, they're honest with me, and everyone comes out a winner. Had one guy with a wife and three kids who lost his very specialized job due to downsizing and economy shifts. He couldn't pay for three months. He did find another, decent job eventually, and he's paid me back rent without me asking for it (I wouldn't have). He's paying a month and a half at a time until he's made up the three months he didn't pay.

I think it's entirely worth bending over backwards for your renters.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Give it another ten years and DFW suburbs will be all the way to the Red River and Waco.
Anything north of Northwest highway is too far north, and if you go past Forest, forget it. :)

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Anything north of Northwest highway is too far north, and if you go past Forest, forget it. :)
My only interaction with Dallas county now is driving through on my way out to Tawakoni. Girlfriend has a $200 gift card at some high end sushi joint in Dallas and she can't get me to ever go.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My only interaction with Dallas county now is driving through on my way out to Tawakoni. Girlfriend has a $200 gift card at some high end sushi joint in Dallas and she can't get me to ever go.
Dallas County is awesome if you stay in the bubble.

Anything between Woodall, 75, the tollway, and northwest highway is perfectly great. Good time will be had. Venture outside at your own risk.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Tei-An? Skip out on the high end Dallas sushi for now, their covid dining restrictions are retarded for some reason.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dallas County is awesome if you stay in the bubble.

Anything between Woodall, 75, the tollway, and northwest highway is perfectly great. Good time will be had. Venture outside at your own risk.

It's easy to say that when you get to deal with the city of HP rather than the city of Dallas. Also I can't speak for what the Mask Karen situation is in HP, but in N Dallas it's a shitshow.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Uchi. It's in Oak Lawn so double barf.
Is that the same Uchi as the one in Austin? I hate that place. I love sushi and all but other places are cheaper and equivalent.

It's one of those retarded places where everything is meant to be shared but also super tiny. So you have to stop at whataburger on the way home to not be starving despite paying $200. I went once. Mistake.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Is that the same Uchi as the one in Austin? I hate that place. I love sushi and all but other places are cheaper and equivalent.

It's one of those retarded places where everything is meant to be shared but also super tiny. So you have to stop at whataburger on the way home to not be starving despite paying $200. I went once. Mistake.
Don't know, like I said, she hasn't been able to talk me into going yet. We're probably going to save it to celebrate closing and taking keys on the new home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Sushi. In Texas. And you wonder why the state is turning Blue.
Did you know that Texas has 600 miles of coastline? Fresh seafood isn't out of the ordinary. Last year during the fall I went down to Corpus and filled two coolers full of live oysters, blue crabs, and pompano. I made pompano sushi right on the beach, literally from my hook straight to the cutting board.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Did you know that Texas has 600 miles of coastline? Fresh seafood isn't out of the ordinary. Last year during the fall I went down to Corpus and filled two coolers full of live oysters, blue crabs, and pompano. I made pompano sushi right on the beach, literally from my hook straight to the cutting board.

Are you trying to make me horny? Because that's how you make me horny.

• 1Trump
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't know, like I said, she hasn't been able to talk me into going yet. We're probably going to save it to celebrate closing and taking keys on the new home.
It is. I’m going to disagree that other places are equivalent, but everything else that said is true. If you want to eat there until you’re full it’s going to cost more than $200

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user