Home buying thread

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It is. I’m going to disagree that other places are equivalent, but everything else that said is true. If you want to eat there until you’re full it’s going to cost more than $200
Deep down, I do have some culture and I'm not a fatass. We'll get dressed up, have a bunch of drinks, eat some great sushi and have a great night. If we have to drop another couple hundo that's fine too. Hard part is getting me out to actually do it haha.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wanted to follow up on my own statement here. It's a shitty time to be a renter, too. So many lost jobs in this area, so many people who are not able to pay the rent. Yeah, that's tough on landlords, but imagine being the renter who has to tell the landlord that they don't have the rent money because they've lost their job. It's humiliating on top of already being humiliated because you can't support your family. All my leases are one year, and then everyone goes monthly. At the one year anniversary of renting from me I give every one of my renters a "rent free month" card with the instructions that they can only use it in the event of the loss of their job and provided they were actively looking for a new job. I've had a few use those cards this year. When they do I immediately meet with them and figure out what kind of rent is possible to expect from them, and how we can work together to ensure they have a home and whatever else they might need.

Some call me too soft, but my renters never fuck up my properties, they're honest with me, and everyone comes out a winner. Had one guy with a wife and three kids who lost his very specialized job due to downsizing and economy shifts. He couldn't pay for three months. He did find another, decent job eventually, and he's paid me back rent without me asking for it (I wouldn't have). He's paying a month and a half at a time until he's made up the three months he didn't pay.

I think it's entirely worth bending over backwards for your renters.

For good people like that, yes. Absolutely.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looks like we'll be able to lock in a 2.5% rate on this with a conventional loan. Unreal.

My current house on the Veteran's loan in 2016 got a 3.2%.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Im about to buy my first home in middle of kentucky. Im preapproved for $650k at 2.15%
As paet of the relocation package, company set us up with a real.estate agent and will cover half the closing costs

I fly out on friday to KY to look at houses.

Give me your best tips

Why would you pick a southern state like Kentucky?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We bought points in 2015, VA loan, and got it at 3.25%. Since it's a military town, I was excited that we could potentially get a small premium on the sale by transferring our rate to someone else with a VA.

Turns out, that's a pipe dream now.

Now I'm worried about what kind of rate we'll get in a year for a construction loan. Although, we're possibly going to pay it off immediately as we head to retirement.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Real estate market absurd. Friend is thinking about moving from Vegas here to Phoenix so came down last weekend to check the place out.

In my zipcode which is 100% urban and mostly single family homes, there are a total of 7 houses listed for sale on Zillow. Of those 7, only 1 of them is listed for below $300,000. Looking at rents, only 6 houses are listed for rent. To put this into perspective 5 years ago I purchased my house for $155,000.

Im curious what everyone is paying for home owners insurance. In the span of 4 years mine has doubled while all coverage/deductible has remained exactly the same going form $650/yr to $1200/yr now. Has anyone else seen such huge increases?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Real estate market absurd. Friend is thinking about moving from Vegas here to Phoenix so came down last weekend to check the place out.

In my zipcode which is 100% urban and mostly single family homes, there are a total of 7 houses listed for sale on Zillow. Of those 7, only 1 of them is listed for below $300,000. Looking at rents, only 6 houses are listed for rent. To put this into perspective 5 years ago I purchased my house for $155,000.

Im curious what everyone is paying for home owners insurance. In the span of 4 years mine has doubled while all coverage/deductible has remained exactly the same going form $650/yr to $1200/yr now. Has anyone else seen such huge increases?

I don't know about your local, but insurance rates are going up like crazy everywhere because of fraud and roof people canvassing neighborhoods promising free roofs after any sort of storm.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Probably live like a fucking barron at that price range. I know this is a while ago, but in the early 2Ks I lived in Louisville for a year off and on part of work at the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant fort a launch we were doing and at that time anything in the $150-$200K range meant acreage of land and a fucking 3K+ SQ ft mansion. So even if you double that because of time its still living like a king amongst plebs. And Louisville is a nice area too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I imagine you can get quite the estate with $600k.

I think the first and primary concern you're going to need to examine is home age. Which means you'll need to carefully examine all of the details unless a fixer upper is totally okay with you. Otherwise look for prime location in regards to work, other properties nearby, and resale potential.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking in the 250K-350K range.

Part of getting out of california is because I dont want to have a 650K mortgage
Same issue would apply. Only Oldbased Oldbased posted stuff about living in Kentucky and homes seemed to be, on average, a few decades old. He stopped posting recently but he worked in construction forever and would be the ideal person to come back and comment on it lol.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Probably live like a fucking barron at that price range. I know this is a while ago, but in the early 2Ks I lived in Louisville for a year off and on part of work at the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant fort a launch we were doing and at that time anything in the $150-$200K range meant acreage of land and a fucking 3K+ SQ ft mansion. So even if you double that because of time its still living like a king amongst plebs. And Louisville is a nice area too.

After reading the news over the last 2 years id avoid Louisville like the plague. It was riot central.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user